Theft Prevention

51 replies to this topic
  • Wild Turkey

Posted October 23, 2007 - 07:39 PM

Hello everyone, I've been lurking around here for awhile trying to decide on what dualsport bike would be the best for me. I have decided to purchase a XR650L and have started combing craigslist, cycle trader, and the shops in my area. One of my biggest cocerns is theft prevention. I'm just wondering what people do to thier bikes or buy to keep thier bike from getting stolen when running errands around town. Any input would be appreciated. thanks

• Blacksamwell

Posted October 23, 2007 - 09:12 PM

I'm working up a dual sport conversion on my 650R and I plan on installing a keyed ignition switch and investing in a good disk lock. That'll suffice for most areas I'd be parking like work and shopping.

• cleonard

Posted October 23, 2007 - 09:21 PM

At the low end of the scale I see only two things. The first is stopping the guy who just hops on and goes. Keyed ignitions are a good start to stop this guy. Locking the bike to itself is another. The next level is three guys jumping out of a truck and tossing it in. This is more common than you might think. To stop that you have to lock it to something.

• Rockjockey

Posted October 24, 2007 - 04:10 AM

Just buy insurance, anything you do is only going to slow down a thief.

• absynth01

Posted October 24, 2007 - 04:12 AM

Yah the pick-up gang is popular. The only thing you can do is get good insurance. With portable power tools, chaining it to something is ineffective nowadays. If they want it they'll take it.

We had a 650R and CR500R stolen downstate NY. Greedy fools came back for the KX250 and we spotted them in a pickup. After the police and searching, no luck. 3 hours later (4 in the morn), we walked railroad tracks close by. About a half mile down there they were, laying in a pile of branches unharmed. Needless to say that neighborhood got an early wake up as we were PISSED:mad: !!! Lawn jobs galore getting back to our trailer and hotel. Best thing was the cops were ok with us riding them back. He even said if we catch them don't "rough them up to bad":busted: . He knew who did it and checked their property, but they didn't have them. They stashed them where we found them and denied doing it. Good thing they were smaller boys and couldn't get either one started:excuseme: !!

• Big Red Paul

Posted October 24, 2007 - 04:27 AM

Kryptonite Locks are very good. Heavy to carry around with you though.

Like the guys have said, what you anchor your bike to is very important.

My friend had a wicked German made lock on his Hayabusa. The bike wasn't anchored to anything. I kept warning him.

If you are regular with your parking spots, make sure you anchor the bike.
Thieves will notice your bike if it is parked in the same spot everyday.

• Denn10

Posted October 24, 2007 - 11:04 AM

i dont even lock if im running around but i would say a key for sure and a disc lock are good to have. Better to do what you can than say "oh well there gonna steal it if they want to" Make it harder for them.

• machman

Posted October 24, 2007 - 02:13 PM

I make sure it's the ugliest dirtiest bike around. I leave the key in it and still nobody takes it!

• bosshog

Posted October 24, 2007 - 03:07 PM

I always found putting a FOR SALE sign on it helps. Any time I do nobody wants it.:crazy:

• Coolidge

Posted October 24, 2007 - 03:55 PM

I always found putting a FOR SALE sign on it helps. Any time I do nobody wants it.:crazy:

....LOL!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tfb4me

Posted October 24, 2007 - 04:12 PM

Use your steering lock and park it where it's buisy.If I go to walmart I park it right at the pop machines at the front door.Hell id bring it right it if I could..That and the steering lock you cant go wrong.I have a new dewalt 18 vold cordless grider that would rip through any cable or lock in no time with a zippy cut blade.Cable locks are a waiste of money.Keep it where it can be seen and noticed when a group of guys is shovin it into the back of a truck.Thats the best security you can get.There are also bike alarms but dont know if thier any good.
Has anyone heard of those tracking systems in cars and trucks?Is there any such thing for bikes?Thats cheap insurance as long as you notice yor bike missing before it's parted out..

• Rockjockey

Posted October 24, 2007 - 04:50 PM

Has anyone heard of those tracking systems in cars and trucks?Is there any such thing for bikes?Thats cheap insurance as long as you notice yor bike missing before it's parted out..

Those are useless if thieves put it in a metal building. I have a Teletrack unit on my 74 pickup and if I park in a metal building and call them for "peace of mind" location they dont know where it is. It works well out in the open though they can tell you exactly where it is at and how fast it is traveling. I added a hidden battery because if the thieves unhook it from the power source it does not work.

• absynth01

Posted October 24, 2007 - 05:19 PM

I agree if you have something visible, it is more of a deterrent but not foolproof. My cordless dremmel with a carbide wheel would rip through most obstacles. I had my truck stolen, in a snow storm from work. I saw the tape of the theft and it took no more than 2 mins. Security didn't even have time to catch them. After a huge hassle(and lost 2 cyl for my sled), I got a BIG RED CLUB!! Theives can move on to the next vehicle now, or take a little extra time removing my club and get caught by my 270lb a$$!!!!

• philipstjohn

Posted October 24, 2007 - 05:21 PM

I told my wife I would begin to do my local errands on my new XRR when I bought it last year, but I have been nervous of leaving it unattended at the local Wal mart, grocery store, or any buildiing I can not see the bike outside. I think insurance is the answer, but I just do not want to lose it and have to go thru replacing it just yet. :D :applause: :crazy:

• Big Red Paul

Posted October 24, 2007 - 06:48 PM

If you are going to use a chain, try to thread the chain through the frame, not a wheel. It can take a thief secs to remove a wheel.

Also keep your chains off the floor. With the chain off the floor, the floor can not be used for leverage with bolt cutters.

• martinfan30

Posted October 24, 2007 - 08:03 PM

If you are going to use a chain, try to thread the chain through the frame, not a wheel. It can take a thief secs to remove a wheel.

Also keep your chains off the floor. With the chain off the floor, the floor can not be used for leverage with bolt cutters.

sounds like you fella's on the other side of the pond have dealt with this issue for awhile!

• Wild Turkey

Posted October 24, 2007 - 09:22 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think amongst other things that I'll just chain a pit bull to the bike LOL. :crazy:

• rangerman

Posted October 25, 2007 - 12:39 AM

I'd buy a 12 gauge shotgun. Blow them bastards up!!!

• Big Red Paul

Posted October 25, 2007 - 04:01 AM

sounds like you fella's on the other side of the pond have dealt with this issue for awhile!

Unfortunately, yes.
As I mentioned earlier, A friend of mine was in his apartment watching CHiPs on TV when he heard his Busa being fired up outside. He lives on the 3rd floor. By the time he was out in the street all he could see was the backs of two dudes riding his bike off, and his chain cut on the floor.

He went to the police, and all they said was that there was not much they could do unless they actually see the theives in the act of.

Insurance covered it, but he can't afford to insure another bike at the moment. He went from smoking around on the fastest bike on the planet to a mountain bike his cousin has lent him.

As Vince said to Lance:

Vince: What's more chicken sh#t than f#%kin with another man's automobile?
I mean, don't f#%k with another man's vehicle.

Lance: You don't do it.

Vince: It's just against the rules.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted October 25, 2007 - 12:53 PM

Do a bunch, a cable lock, disc lock and alarm. Ive had my 1996XR600R this way for three years and it is great, never been attempted to steal. They will look for a easier pick.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.