Stock '07 dB?

11 replies to this topic
  • KAS

Posted October 23, 2007 - 02:25 PM

Anybody test their stock muffler for sound output?

DIRT RIDER claimed an stock '07 was 93.6 dB. I'm not buying it.

I've got a race in a few weeks and I need to be 99 dB. I'm pretty sure with new packing I'll pass, but I'm still kinda nervous.

• 642MX

Posted October 23, 2007 - 04:55 PM

Anybody test their stock muffler for sound output?

DIRT RIDER claimed an stock '07 was 93.6 dB. I'm not buying it.

I've got a race in a few weeks and I need to be 99 dB. I'm pretty sure with new packing I'll pass, but I'm still kinda nervous.

They are pretty quiet, but I doubt they are 93.6 db.

You could get a db dawg to get you thru the sound check. My bike is 101 db without the db dawg and 91 db with it. Sure, it has no bottom end power with the dawg, but its not a long ride back to truck to take it out. :crazy:

• rexbond007

Posted October 23, 2007 - 05:06 PM

last race i was in. mine tested out at 91.2 db

stock pipe. in sept 07

• NorCal

Posted October 24, 2007 - 07:57 PM

last race i was in. mine tested out at 91.2 db

stock pipe. in sept 07

I just got my bike tested at Carnegie OHV in California. I have an '06 YZ450 with an '07 head pipe and muffler. It hit 99 db at 4500 RPM. I'm kinda disappointed. Are race tests any different than Ranger tests?

• rexbond007

Posted October 24, 2007 - 08:11 PM

i guess it depends on what rpm they are testing the noise level at. they just set a dial indicator on my seat and have db reader off to the side 10 ft away. and they asked me the cc size of the bike. and told me the reading.

• NorCal

Posted October 24, 2007 - 10:10 PM

10 feet away? The db meter was only about a foot away on my test! Does anyone know how far away the db meter and the rpm's at a D36 enduro?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KAS

Posted October 25, 2007 - 06:25 AM

10ft away? No wonder it was so quiet.

I believe the standard is 20 in away at a 45 degree angle from the end of the muffler.

• freerideyz250

Posted October 25, 2007 - 09:03 AM

10ft away? No wonder it was so quiet.

I believe the standard is 20 in away at a 45 degree angle from the end of the muffler.

That is the correct way to do a db test. There should also be a prescribed rpm at which the bike is tested. Usualy in the 4k range. My '08 with the fmf q4 was at 92.8 last weekend at the National Hare Scramble.

• KAS

Posted October 25, 2007 - 09:45 AM

freeride,

Thanks for the info on the Q4. I've been eyeballing that particular muffler, for quiet-ness (is that a word?).

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 25, 2007 - 11:29 AM

10 feet away? The db meter was only about a foot away on my test! Does anyone know how far away the db meter and the rpm's at a D36 enduro?

Did you get ticketed or just kicked out?

• NorCal

Posted October 25, 2007 - 01:07 PM

Neither, I asked if they could do it because I'm thinking of doing the Enduro at Elkins. I just pulled up to the ranger station at the end of the day and asked if I could get it checked. They were really cool about it.

Come to think of it, my packing has over 100 hours. Is it time for a repack?

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted October 25, 2007 - 05:28 PM

Neither, I asked if they could do it because I'm thinking of doing the Enduro at Elkins. I just pulled up to the ranger station at the end of the day and asked if I could get it checked. They were really cool about it.

Come to think of it, my packing has over 100 hours. Is it time for a repack?

Probably a good idea. It's likely there's not a whole lot of packing left in the muffler.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.