Pre-Lube Your Motor-Heres How!

17 replies to this topic
  • Kawabuggy

Posted October 23, 2007 - 08:10 AM

I know a lot of people agonize over having oil pressure immediately upon engine start up. I build about 6 engines (car) each year. I always pre-lube an engine before I fire it up for the 1st time.

This last time I had my motor torn down on the XR600, I found quite an easy way to pre-lube the engine and thought I would share.

Since I had taken my oil pump apart, and had the engine out, I knew the pump was completely empty as were all of the lines, and internal passages inside the motor.

Once I got the engine back in, all the lines hooked up, I filled the oil reservoir to the top. As I recall it was about 1.5 qts. I then put the filler cap back on. Then I removed the vent tube-the one that runs from the crank case up to the side of the oil reservoir/frame. I then took a rubber tipped air nozzle on my air compressor line and pushed the rubber tip into the end of the steel line where the vent hose attached. With the spark plug out, and the oil line to the head loosened so as to confirm when the oil pump & lines were primed, I squeezed the trigger on the air nozzle, and began slowly kicking the engine over. It took all of 5 kicks to begin to see oil trickle out the oil line at the head! It worked so well, that I could not believe it had pre-lubed the entire engine so quickly.

This flat out WORKS! If you are concerned about pre-lubing an engine before start up-try it!

If you are concerned about pre-lubing after an oil change-you can still do this! Without removing the tank you can still get to the steel tube on the oil reservoir/frame with a pair of needle nose pliers. Pull the tube off, and push it down out of the way. Then with a piece of 3/8" hose about 8" long you can put it onto the steel nipple and then put your air nozzle into the other end. The hose is only to act as an extension as it would be hard to squeeze the air nozzle into that tight space between the head tube & the tank. The steel nipple points down further requiring the use of the extension.

Obviously, you want to regulate the air pressure down-don't blast it with 120PSI!! If I remember right, I regulated my PSI down to 30.

Don't forget to add the remaining amount of oil needed to bring the level up to FULL after pre-lubing, and if you loosened the oil line nut at the head-TIGHTEN IT BACK UP! I forgot to do this after starting the bike and was rewarded with oil all over my freshly cleaned & painted head and cases. :crazy:

If this helps only 1 person-I have done my good deed for the day.. Ride on!

• machman

Posted October 23, 2007 - 08:39 AM

You did just help one person.

Tonight I start putting my XR650L motor back together after changing out transmissions. I've been thinking about this for a while now.

THANKS ! ! !:D :applause: :crazy:

...on a side note, what are your thoughts about dumping 1/2 litre of oil in one of the valve covers to make sure it's all lubed up?

• cleonard

Posted October 23, 2007 - 09:29 AM

...on a side note, what are your thoughts about dumping 1/2 litre of oil in one of the valve covers to make sure it's all lubed up?

I always do this.

That is a great method Kawabuggy. I'll be using it from now on. It took 90 seconds for oil to get to the head on my last complete tear down. It was an agonizing time that felt like an hour.

This is the reason that Honda tells you to lube the entire valve train with moly paste. We are talking the concentrated stuff here. The stuff that will positively kill your clutch. I used the moly on mine and changed the oil after about 10 minutes of run time.

• martinfan30

Posted October 23, 2007 - 10:02 AM

very nice, will def. try next LOF. thanks!

• Denn10

Posted October 23, 2007 - 10:32 AM

it really cant hurt it as ive done this with engines before. It may not be as good as getting oil through all the oil galleys like your oil pump would but wont hurt any.

• martinfan30

Posted October 23, 2007 - 12:33 PM

kinda hard on our bikes, but i like to fill the new oil filter with oil before installing.

• Denn10

Posted October 23, 2007 - 01:20 PM

yeah how do you do that LOL i can see just getting the paper wet but i wanna see you filling the case side with oil and trying to get the cover on real quick HEHEHE

• AtomicGeo

Posted October 23, 2007 - 05:57 PM

Wow, the title of this thread really sounded sexy :crazy: , but then got to reading the first post....Nah, nothing but bike talk! :D

• dirtyron

Posted October 23, 2007 - 06:12 PM

I always do this.

That is a great method Kawabuggy. I'll be using it from now on. It took 90 seconds for oil to get to the head on my last complete tear down. It was an agonizing time that felt like an hour.

This is the reason that Honda tells you to lube the entire valve train with moly paste. We are talking the concentrated stuff here. The stuff that will positively kill your clutch. I used the moly on mine and changed the oil after about 10 minutes of run time.

thats strange, i run a lot of moly in my 400 and 650. never replaced a clutch yet

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • machman

Posted October 23, 2007 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for the reminder of the moly paste too. I'll have to pick some up.

I'll be doing all this stuff. I really don't want the wear...

• Denn10

Posted October 24, 2007 - 11:07 AM

we used white lithium in out Rotax aircraft engines when we split the cases on the bearings and it didnt hurt anything, i think with most you just need to do an oil change after startup and a little run time to get good fresh oil in.

• machman

Posted October 24, 2007 - 02:12 PM

...as an aside, how many PSI do you think I can make at the mouth?:D :crazy: I don't have a compressor.:applause:

• martinfan30

Posted October 24, 2007 - 02:20 PM

...as an aside, how many PSI do you think I can make at the mouth?:D :crazy: I don't have a compressor.:bonk:

LOL!:applause:

• machman

Posted October 24, 2007 - 06:38 PM

LOL!:crazy:

...the worst part is I'm kinda serious...:D :applause:

• martinfan30

Posted October 24, 2007 - 07:56 PM

well in that case... i dont know. i DO know what kind of vacuum i can produce to siphon gas!:crazy:

• Denn10

Posted October 25, 2007 - 02:24 PM

you prolly cant "BLOW"enough" to get it flowing BUT try it out and see how much your jaw and cheeks hurt after LOL let us know ok?

• martinfan30

Posted October 25, 2007 - 02:35 PM

ya, stop when the stars come out tho!Lol

• rustyknife

Posted October 25, 2007 - 02:43 PM

You guys are way too paranoid lol, grease it up slap it together and start it. I cant remember priming anything...

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.