07 450 valves/major adjustments

4 replies to this topic
  • bross

Posted October 23, 2007 - 07:58 AM

Ive had my 07 450 for about 4 months now and im wondering if there is anything major i should be checking on the bike. I know what the book says about valves and everything but from your guys practical experience what major thing needs adjustment first since im kinda worried about maintenance after i had a ktm basically write itself off due to an unknown problem that the mechanics couldnt even explain. Thanks

Posted October 23, 2007 - 11:59 AM

Although the valves most likely won't need to be adjusted as much as the ktm they will still need inspection and going 4 months without doing so especially after the break in period is not good. My friend did the same thing.... why bother ...its a yamaha right,... checked them after approx 4 months (3 were out of spec and 1 was extremely tight). Have you gone through the steering head and linkage bearings? If not, do so..... when I pulled mine apart I was in dis-belief that yamaha would even sell it like that. The above is really something that should be done with any brand though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bross

Posted October 24, 2007 - 05:17 AM

I had the valves done after break in as well as do whatever they do as a first service. I havent checked linkage but the steering head is good ill definatly do that!

• rexbond007

Posted October 24, 2007 - 07:16 PM

in think linkage is more important to do than steering head.

• grayracer513

Posted October 24, 2007 - 09:18 PM

That's an interesting statement. Particularly with the rep that the upper seal on the '06-7 has.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.