01 426 won't start after sitting

8 replies to this topic
  • brandonizr

Posted October 23, 2007 - 07:40 AM

Hey guys, bike has always run awesome, been sitting for 6 months so i'm guessing the carb needs cleaned which i did last night, no help, also changed spark plug...BUT when the gas is on and i'm trying to start, gas does pour out of one of the tubes from the carb...when it did run before, it used to drip when off but i'd just turn the gas off (workaround) I think one of my settings is off? Any suggestions? How many turns out do most of you have your pilot adjusted? Think my float needs to be adjusted so it pushed the needle up sooner?(less fuel in bowl)
Thank you all, I have a basic knowledge just need a little help

• grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2007 - 08:21 AM

First, you have to ditch the old gas. As far as your float is concerned, the problem is more than likely your float needle. It has a Viton ("rubber") tip, and has most probably dried up, shrunk, and/or cracked after sitting for so long when it was already in bad shape. You're going to need a new one.

Because the carb looks clean doesn't mean the jets are open. Check the jet holes and cross holes carefully. Run carb cleaner through the passages to verify that they are clear (watch your eyes), and hit it with compressed air.

• brandonizr

Posted October 23, 2007 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for the tip on that needle, picking it up today. In regards to the jets, yes cleaned out(soaked in lacquer thinner) and took care of with compressed air. How many turns out would you recommend for the pilot?

• grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2007 - 09:25 AM

Start with 2 turns out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brandonizr

Posted October 23, 2007 - 09:29 AM

Thanks Gray...seems like you're that guy around here:worthy:

• jayh300

Posted October 23, 2007 - 09:56 AM

Thanks Gray...seems like you're that guy around here:worthy:

yeah.... I have seen it written
"gray is a yamaha encyclopedia that types"
best description i have heard.

jay

• brandonizr

Posted October 23, 2007 - 01:06 PM

ouch that hurt, just that needle was $50:rant:

• brandonizr

Posted November 08, 2007 - 12:38 PM

As far as your float is concerned, the problem is more than likely your float needle. It has a Viton ("rubber") tip, and has most probably dried up, shrunk, and/or cracked after sitting for so long when it was already in bad shape. You're going to need a new one.

Forgot to post results...float needle totally fixed it, runs like a champ, WAHOO!:worthy:

• BRP-rider

Posted November 08, 2007 - 01:13 PM

Of course it does it's a Yamaha!:worthy:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.