quietest muffler

22 replies to this topic
  • kball

Posted October 22, 2007 - 10:35 PM

I just bought a '99 yz400. It has a white bros e-series full system that is LOUD. I'd like to know which of the 98-02 mufflers is the quietest, stock or aftermarket? Is there a difference from a stock WR and YZ mufler? I'd imagine there is, but i've never seen them side by side. I just want the lowest DB possible cause it's gonna be my city bike. Thanks

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 22, 2007 - 10:38 PM

Fmf Q2

• Mutu

Posted October 22, 2007 - 10:54 PM

Is there a difference from a stock WR and YZ mufler?

Yes.

You could try to get an old WR muffler, or FMF Q2 as JSanfilippo says. :crazy:

• speedcomm

Posted October 23, 2007 - 04:04 AM

99 WR muffler is whisper quiet, 99 YZ muffler is loud

• GCannon

Posted October 23, 2007 - 08:36 AM

I just replaced a YZ muffler with a new FMF Q2.

The YZ was very loud and the new Q2 is much quieter I love the new muffler.

The power difference is less than I thought. I notice a difference at full throttle high RPM. The low end power is great so close I can't tell if it is the same or better with the Q2.

• byggd

Posted October 23, 2007 - 08:58 AM

I just bought a '99 yz400. It has a white bros e-series full system that is LOUD. I'd like to know which of the 98-02 mufflers is the quietest, stock or aftermarket? Is there a difference from a stock WR and YZ mufler? I'd imagine there is, but i've never seen them side by side. I just want the lowest DB possible cause it's gonna be my city bike. Thanks

I took the same system off my 02 WR for the same reason and put the stock unit back on. Without an insert it's a little loud but not too bad. The stock insert was too restrictive so I bought this one and it's right were I like it.
http://www.promotobi.../products_id/54

• tmckeown

Posted October 23, 2007 - 08:59 AM

I use Silmotor on my bike, it is quiet enought to get to enduro races over here. Acropovitch is too loud even with noisekiller

Timo McKeown

• DanyR1

Posted October 23, 2007 - 03:54 PM

I have a stock wr400 1998 in realy good shape I am from canada to I can make you a very good deal if you are interested.

• maxtherat

Posted October 23, 2007 - 05:34 PM

Best bet would be fmf q2.

• Mutu

Posted October 23, 2007 - 05:43 PM

Best bet would be fmf q2.

It would make the bike look a bit more modern too! :crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mc250f

Posted October 23, 2007 - 05:47 PM

+7(i think 7) on the Q

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted October 23, 2007 - 07:59 PM

I just bought the Q and it's nice and quiet.

• WGP

Posted October 24, 2007 - 06:12 AM

Does it have any horsepower though?

I'm also looking for a under 96db muffler and have the Ti Powercore, it really helped in the speed dept.

It is 97db with the quiet insert.

Can anybody compare the 2?

• maxtherat

Posted October 24, 2007 - 05:51 PM

I heard that the q4 is quieter and gives more power than if you use a powercore w/ quiet core insert. Obviously, this means nothing to us guys that have 02 and older bikes.

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 24, 2007 - 08:04 PM

I heard that the q4 is quieter and gives more power than if you use a powercore w/ quiet core insert. Obviously, this means nothing to us guys that have 02 and older bikes.

Well I heard :crazy: that the TI powercore with quiet insert shows no discernable difference from an open TI powercore. A TI powercore flows significantly better than a Q4

• KennyMc

Posted October 24, 2007 - 08:23 PM

How does the quiet insert affect the spark arrestor on the TI Powercore? Can you run both?

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 24, 2007 - 10:38 PM

How does the quiet insert affect the spark arrestor on the TI Powercore? Can you run both?

yes. The old school factory 4/Titanium 4 was an either/or deal and probably what you're thinking about.

• Lennie

Posted October 24, 2007 - 11:10 PM

You want a euro spec FMF Q pipe, its even quieter than a US spec one.

• WGP

Posted October 25, 2007 - 06:14 AM

I run a Ti Powercore and for the races throw in the quiet insert I can hardly tell the difference, but there seems to be a little less punch with it in.
The problem is with the quiet insert it is still over 96db.

• WGP

Posted October 25, 2007 - 06:16 AM

The quiet insert is simply a metal sleeve the fits in the end, the spark arrestor is always in.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.