street converted xr650r dying at idle

4 replies to this topic

Posted October 22, 2007 - 07:48 PM

Having issues when i stop at a traffic light, bike dying when returning to idle... just dies..... like someone hit a kill switch.... anyone else experience this?? i have the baja designs kit on it with the parking light, headlight style run switch.... i strongly believe it has nothing to do with the engine running hotter while stopped.... it was 50 degrees last weekend when i was riding and i only stopped for less than a minute at a light and it died....

i run 93 octane fuel
stock kill switch has been replaced with the one provided by baja designs (off/parking light/head light)
don't have a tach, but i thought my idle was set high enough.....IMO it doesn't sound like the idle is on the verge of it dying when this happens.

• msm650

Posted October 22, 2007 - 10:02 PM

Your kill switch could be shorting out- common on the 650R. Unplug it and see if the probem persists.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scalejockey

Posted October 23, 2007 - 04:51 AM

mine has done this when i've run a cheaper low octane gas.

• Juxxtin

Posted October 23, 2007 - 06:51 AM

The obvious first... is your idle set correctly for a warm engine...?

(Hand-screw near the choke.)

• greg415

Posted November 01, 2007 - 07:46 PM

My R did the same thing when I bought it used. The BD kit was installed incorrectly. The headlight was plugged into the original socket, not the new one from the rewound stator. Easy to diagnose the first time I rode after sunset. The headlight was also upside-down.

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.