Skide plate 450s

4 replies to this topic
  • yzf450jack

Posted October 22, 2007 - 07:27 PM

[COLOR="blue"]Has anybody put a skid plate on and noticed that the motor is very loud Sounds like knocking [/COLOR]

• 642MX

Posted October 22, 2007 - 07:33 PM

[COLOR="blue"]Has anybody put a skid plate on and noticed that the motor is very loud Sounds like knocking [/COLOR]

Yeah. I've heard that skid plates can create weird noises. In fact I saw factory mechanics taking skid plates off before sound checks at supercrosses. (after the sound check they get re-installed)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2007 - 07:51 PM

Yes. We certainly have.

• yzf450jack

Posted October 22, 2007 - 08:08 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]I took the motor apart everything was in spec but the piston and cam chain so i replaced them and still sounds like it going to blow! I put the thing on there after a rock jumped up and hit the clutch cover put a hole in it broke the basket & 3 clutch plates and the oil line [/COLOR]

• grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2007 - 08:12 PM

The plate is reflecting all of the noise that used to drift away unnoticed right back at you. Two things you can do are to either go after the plate with a 1" (or so) hole saw, or stuff a big sponge between the plate and the engine. If you go with the sponge, you'll want to pull it out and clean it once in a while, as it will end up weighing about 12 pounds. :crazy:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.