XR650R Odometer removal (XRs Only spacer)

8 replies to this topic
  • abby

Posted October 22, 2007 - 10:57 AM

I am about to install a trail tech computer on a 2005 XR650R.

Searching on the forum, I've found a few people recommended the XRs Only front wheel quick change spacer, which I just received. It comes with a short and longer spacer and a dust cover so you can remove the odometer gear completely rather than leaving the gearbox on and plugging the cable hole in it with the plug that comes with the trail tech computer.

There's no instructions with the spacer - but I'm sure the shorter spacer replaces the stock spacer opposite the odometer gear (the other side of the axle), and the longer spacer plus the rubber seal replace the odometer gear assembly. But are you supposed to remove any parts inside the hub before press-fitting the XRs Only seal in place? Or do you just remove the black plastic odometer gear assembly itself?

• rdjohnson55

Posted October 22, 2007 - 11:02 AM

I just installed the same spacer and I think I installed it right? I will take a pic of it tonight and post it. I'm also in the process of installing the Trail tech. I just finished the GPR 2 install and it looks good...

• abby

Posted October 22, 2007 - 11:10 AM

I'd appreciate it.

Did you remove anything other than the black plastic gearbox assembly on the gearbox side? Or did you remove any additional parts inside the hub?

• rdjohnson55

Posted October 22, 2007 - 11:26 AM

I just removed the old plastic assembly and installed the spacer.I do not like the way the new spacers rubber cover inserts into the hub. It seems like it wants to just fall out...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • abby

Posted October 22, 2007 - 11:38 AM

That is what has me wondering - it just press fits in place, but there's nothing stopping it from wandering back out because it can slide over the longer spacer. There's nothing to hold it in place, and it's not in place that well with just the plastic gearbox removed.

That's why I'm thinking I am missing something. Maybe something else inside the hub needs to come out and it will push in further or snap in place or something.....

I'll probably mess with it some more tonight. I didn't put it back together last night because I also checked my brake pads and they are toast.

• abby

Posted October 22, 2007 - 04:09 PM

OK, I was missing something. You have to remove additional pieces.

Here is the hub with just the odometer gearbox removed:

http://i235.photobuc...re/Pa220045.jpg

Stock dust cover removed:

http://i235.photobuc...re/Pa220047.jpg

And with the odometer ring removed:

http://i235.photobuc...re/Pa220048.jpg

Stuff removed on the right, XRs Only dust cover on left:

http://i235.photobuc...re/Pa220049.jpg

XRs Only dust seal installed. NOW it snaps in nice and tight. The long spacer goes through the middle.

http://i235.photobuc...re/Pa220050.jpg

Hope this helps the next guy.

• Kawabuggy

Posted October 23, 2007 - 08:18 AM

Abby, I'm the guy you were PM'ing about this issue. Glad to see you got it worked out! If I had been able to view the pictures when we were chatting, I could have easily walked you through it! Either way-you got it figured out and that is what matters. This is an awesome sight to say the least. Now that you have posted the pictures, others searching this subject will reap the rewards of your pain. Thanks for contributing.

• abby

Posted October 23, 2007 - 11:22 AM

Abby, I'm the guy you were PM'ing about this issue. Glad to see you got it worked out! If I had been able to view the pictures when we were chatting, I could have easily walked you through it! Either way-you got it figured out and that is what matters. This is an awesome sight to say the least. Now that you have posted the pictures, others searching this subject will reap the rewards of your pain. Thanks for contributing.

I'm just glad I found your original post on the part in the first place - this is a clean removal of the gear. Now that I understand how it is supposed to work......

I read a few threads (here and elsewhere) where nothing else was removed but the odometer gear itself - so I am suspecting maybe there are at least a few people who might have them installed wrong - hope not.

• rdjohnson55

Posted October 23, 2007 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the update I was cleaning the house from 1/4" of fine dust that blew in from an old window. I hate the Santa Ana's winds...

I see that it actually fits into the hub and locks in. Would it to too tough for XROnly to supply some freaking instructions...

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.