your opinion please

gotta a spare set of sprockets for the 650L 14 /48 and a DID O ring chain, thinking of installing on the 86 XL600 -

whatcha think? and what would be the result, stock is 13 / 51

they say changing 1 tooth in front is like changing three out back.

soooo, you are going from low, low, to semi low(lol). I RUN 14/48 on my 05 650L and it is great on the hiway and a little better offroad.

your choice would be good if doing more hiway on your 600.

I wouldn't use a chain with 14,000 on it. Two months ago, I lost my chain on my R, at 70. The chain was somewhat stretched. The chain slider on the swingarm became loose and got caught up in the chain because of the chain slapping it. I got lucky and the chain didn't get caught up front or in the rear to bad!!! I got a new non Oring chain for 20 bucks, front sprocket for 14 and had a rear. I don't know why the chain was so cheap, but was what a few racers around here use.

I wouldn't use a chain with 14,000 on it. Two months ago, I lost my chain on my R, at 70. The chain was somewhat stretched. The chain slider on the swingarm became loose and got caught up in the chain because of the chain slapping it. I got lucky and the chain didn't get caught up front or in the rear to bad!!! I got a new non Oring chain for 20 bucks, front sprocket for 14 and had a rear. I don't know why the chain was so cheap, but was what a few racers around here use.

is that the only advantage? cost?

After talking to a few peeps O-ring chains are less efficient than non-oring. There is more resistance on an oring chain. I thought now we are splitting hairs here. I would never notice the difference, and I can't. The one BIG advantage to an oring is it requires less lubeing and maintenance. Needless to say when it was 20$ for a new one, I bought two. Besides, my machines always get looked over/fixed and washed before going back in the garage so one is ready to go with a phone call!!!!!!

This chain thing kinda follows the same theory as the chain,belt,shaft drive arguement. Chain is most efficeient(less resistance), then I think shaft, then belt.