I got to ride an 08' YZ450...

2 replies to this topic
  • VETMX808

Posted October 22, 2007 - 07:43 AM

Hey guys, just thought you guys might want to hear a review from someone that doesn't ride YZ's. Take it for what's it is worth, I only got to spin about 10-12 laps on it, so this is just my initial impression and comparison to my 07' KX450.

I rode it about 10-12 laps, and man are those things quiet!!!!! The little 2 stroke size silencer is strange to see on a 4 stroker.

As for the bike, it seemed pretty solid.

The first thing I noticed was the brakes and clutch action. Both are very good. Unfortunately I needed to use the clutch a little more frequently than I wanted to get the rev's up. Low end was lacking, but mid and up was pretty good. It is hard to compare with my KX only because I have it piped, suspension and jetted perfect. The KX is flat brutal in comparison to the YZ. It revs quicker and higher. Which is not always the best if it is dry slick out. But with good traction, the YZ felt definitely under powered.

The steering felt good, nothing weired or that stands out.

The suspension was kinda harsh for me. But as I said before, I am coming off my bike that is set-up perfect, with MB1 suspenders. I felt a lot of feed back on my feet, not sure what was causing it, but you could really feel the little bumps. Front felt ok, had some mid-stroke harshness, but felt really good on big hits and jumps.

Overall, the bike felt good. This is the first YZ that I actually liked and could see myself buying one. As all bikes, I would need to tweak to my liking, but the overall package to start with is a good one!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rickallen124

Posted October 22, 2007 - 08:00 AM

So, with a re-valve and a pipe how do you think it would compare? The mags say that a pipe really brings those bikes to life. I have MB1 suspension on my 06 YZ250f and it is sooo much better than stock that you can't believe it.

• VETMX808

Posted October 22, 2007 - 08:16 AM

So, with a re-valve and a pipe how do you think it would compare? The mags say that a pipe really brings those bikes to life. I have MB1 suspension on my 06 YZ250f and it is sooo much better than stock that you can't believe it.

Yes, I revalve and pipe would be my first purchases for sure. The bike would really flourish (for a lack of better words) with those 2 mods. I would mess with the gearing a little as well, maybe 1 extra tooth on the back. I felt a little lost in the gears, but with a better pipe my guess that would help with the low end.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.