07 650L Puffs with only 1000miles

17 replies to this topic
  • stuntrider7x

Posted October 21, 2007 - 04:55 PM

Hi, I was riding my 650l today in the woods and my friend that was riding behind me said that my bike is smoking, Not a lot but it is puffing when I get on it, for the rest of the day i would stop here and thare and rev the bike and it is definity puffing. I dont know wy it is burning oil when the bike only has a 1000 miles on it and i take care of it, i have already changed the oil and filter once and the air filter is always clean and i let warm up every time i ride. I do know i was riding some pretty long second gear wheelies but i dont see wy that would do anything the oil level is at the upper mark but not over, my bike has never smoked before untill halfway through today.
Can someone help me figure this out, Thankyou!!!

• Bibleman

Posted October 21, 2007 - 05:08 PM

How's the jetting, were you in a higher elevation and possibly running rich? Might be from a rich mixture:prof:

• ballisticexchris

Posted October 22, 2007 - 03:19 AM

Did you drop the bike just before it started smoking? If so, it's perfectly normal.

• scalejockey

Posted October 22, 2007 - 04:37 AM

Is there, or has any, dust gotten through a dry filter? (It only takes one ride with a dry filter to kill the rings)

• Denn10

Posted October 22, 2007 - 08:02 AM

yeah we need some more info to try and get an intelligent guess as to what may be causing this?

• Denn10

Posted October 22, 2007 - 08:03 AM

Did you drop the bike just before it started smoking? If so, it's perfectly normal.

What does this have to do with the smoking issue he said???

• Smoke Eater

Posted October 22, 2007 - 08:09 AM

Is it smoke or could it be water vapor? Sometimes when the atmospheric conditions are right any bike can give little puffs of water vapor.

• martinfan30

Posted October 22, 2007 - 09:19 AM

prob. too rich. unless like stated before your filter is dry.

• Motosprtman

Posted October 22, 2007 - 10:21 AM

odd, and highly unusual. Unless you did not break it in correctly and thus the rings never seated. But even that is unlikely as I have heard of folks pounding them home at 70MPH right off the show room flooor and not having any problems. One thing not mentioned was the color of the smoke, black too rich, blue is oil, white wispy - condensation vapor. Are you running the stock paper filter or aftermarket. Just curious.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted October 22, 2007 - 10:27 AM

odd, and highly unusual. Unless you did not break it in correctly and thus the rings never seated. But even that is unlikely as I have heard of folks pounding them home at 70MPH right off the show room flooor and not having any problems. One thing not mentioned was the color of the smoke, black too rich, blue is oil, white wispy - condensation vapor. Are you running the stock paper filter or aftermarket. Just curious.

i agree, not likely to be a break in issue. its hard the mess that up. they also pre-run them at the factory.

• stuntrider7x

Posted October 22, 2007 - 04:22 PM

I did drop the bike and a little after that i noticed the smoke but it smoked for the rest of the day. What i dont understand is when an engine is old an warn when you start it up for the first time of the day it puffs out smoke, when i started my bike up today it did not smoke one bit from cold, so i took it for a 10mile ride and when i came back i reved it and when i hit wide open i see some smoke and i can smell it, also yesterday the guys behind me said they smell a little oil. I have a jet kit and the bike runs great no problems besides this, and i have a twin air filter that is definitly not dry and never was i am pretty good with my filters. Thanks for all the help guys

• Bibleman

Posted October 22, 2007 - 05:07 PM

What size jets are you running and what did you do to your jet needle, if anything?

• stuntrider7x

Posted October 22, 2007 - 05:34 PM

55 pilot 158 main and needle clip at middle position fuel screw at 2 1/2 turns out.

• Bibleman

Posted October 22, 2007 - 06:08 PM

Well that sounds right.

• bt08231

Posted October 22, 2007 - 07:23 PM

oil starvation during said long second gear wheelies thus potentially damaging the engine?? just how long were they?? i know this can happen with sportbikes so im assuming its possible with these bikes as well, maybe entirely wrong so correct me if i am

• scalejockey

Posted October 23, 2007 - 04:58 AM

being a "dry sump system" this is not a problem.

• Motosprtman

Posted October 23, 2007 - 05:23 AM

I am just taking a shot at this - but I wonder since the motors infamously run very hot, maybe a valve seal got cooked and is bypassing oil into the combustion chamber.

• stuntrider7x

Posted October 23, 2007 - 03:14 PM

The wheelies were about 1/2 mile long, I took the bike down to my local honda dealer today and they are going to take a look at it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.