Compression Stroke???

4 replies to this topic

Posted October 20, 2007 - 06:52 PM

I'm planning to adjust the valves for my XR650L. I've done it before but just can't remember! How do you know you are on the compression stroke? Is this when the INTAKE valve closes then you would feel compression resistance on the flywheel. I understand all valves must be closed to do the adjustment. I just want to make sure that i am NOT on the exhaust stroke. Thanks!

• Denn10

Posted October 20, 2007 - 09:06 PM

if your rotating and the intake opens, when the piston comes up after that you are on the comp stroke. hope that helps

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rman of 237

Posted October 20, 2007 - 11:04 PM

Just stick your finger in the sparkplug hole (if your hand is small enough that is):crazy: an bump the start button untill you feel the blowby.

• martinfan30

Posted October 21, 2007 - 07:05 AM

or just rotate the crank over until the cam lobes are 180 degrees from the rocker and adjust .

• Horri

Posted October 21, 2007 - 12:50 PM

My normal method of adjusting the valves is.Remove the Seat and Tank.Take the two bottom inspection plugs out.Remove the Tappet covers.Rotate the engine using a 17mm socket until the T mark is in alignment with the datum on the casing.If you can't move both the Intake and Exhaust sets of Tappets up and down with your fingers your on the wrong stroke.Continue to rotate the engine until the T mark is in alignment and all the Tappets are loose.You are now on the correct stroke to do the Valve timing..

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  40 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  47 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.