help 08 changing oil

8 replies to this topic
  • AnotherRedHead

Posted October 20, 2007 - 05:58 PM

It says in the manual there is a leak screw that oil should not come out of, which bolt is this? The picture it shows in the manual cant be accurate, oil comes out of that bolt very quickly. Someone show me on a picture, maybe im an idiot.

• grayracer513

Posted October 20, 2007 - 06:29 PM

Did you:
> Drain both the tank plug (left front) AND the crankcase drain (right rear)?

> Run the engine for at least 90 seconds after you refilled?

If not, you did it wrong, and you will see oil run out of that hole.

• stroker101

Posted October 22, 2007 - 02:25 PM

or simply add 1.5 qts. after draining the oil from both large drain bolts and be done with it

• grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2007 - 02:31 PM

or simply add 1.5 qts. after draining the oil from both large drain bolts and be done with it

That would be an interesting approach to take considering that the oil capacity of an '06-'08 is 1.06 qts when refilled following an oil and filter change, don't you think? :crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stroker101

Posted October 22, 2007 - 03:48 PM

well the 1.06 qts is a more accurate factory spec. it also states; total amount 1.27 us qts. which is still under 1.50
i have been putting in 1.5 qts with no ill effects. after running the engine and letting it sit a while, the oil level never exceeds the proper level on the stick. done this with my 02,03, 06 and now my 08 4-strokes. i have always added a little extra to all my rides, even back when i was riding 2-strokes.
if a true measure of oil is needed, follow the steps in the owners manual and use a measuring cup to acheive the correct cc's.

note: the oil level check bolt is the small bolt located behind the shifter, on the side of the engine case. use an 8mm socket to remove. pour oil into the crank until oil runs out of the bolt hole. then reinstall the small bolt and the oil fill plug. remember to re-check oil level after running engine. add if needed

• todds924

Posted October 22, 2007 - 04:13 PM

I always just drain it completely and add 1.2 quarts. Always turns out perfect. If you overfill, it will blow it out the breather tube.

• grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2007 - 07:13 PM

well the 1.06 qts is a more accurate factory spec. it also states; total amount 1.27 us qts. which is still under 1.50
i have been putting in 1.5 qts with no ill effects. after running the engine and letting it sit a while, the oil level never exceeds the proper level on the stick. done this with my 02,03, 06 and now my 08 4-strokes. i have always added a little extra to all my rides, even back when i was riding 2-strokes.
if a true measure of oil is needed, follow the steps in the owners manual and use a measuring cup to acheive the correct cc's.

note: the oil level check bolt is the small bolt located behind the shifter, on the side of the engine case. use an 8mm socket to remove. pour oil into the crank until oil runs out of the bolt hole. then reinstall the small bolt and the oil fill plug. remember to re-check oil level after running engine. add if needed

Where do I start with this? :crazy: Let me first point out that your approach to the use of the overfill drain is entirely incorrect. In reading the manual, you will note that the procedure is to first check the oil on the dipstick. This cannot be done without running the engine after a refill, because the oil does not get poured directly into the tank, but instead, it is added back to the crankcase. The engine must then be run long enough to purge the crankcases to a normal operating level before checking the level in the tank. Then, if it reads too high, you remove the overfill drain to dump the excess. The reason the overfill drain located in the crankcases works is the same reason that you don't want to overfill it in the first place, and why the oil level rarely reads high; there isn't room for more oil than that in the tank on an '06 or later model, and when the engine tries to return the excess to the tank, it simply goes back out of the tank via the pressure balance vent line on the right side, and back to the crankcases, where it shows up as too high an oil level when you pull the overfill plug. If you use 1.5 quarts, in an '06-'08, you will have your crank splashing in oil, too much oil on the cylinder walls, loss of power, and possibly oil past the rings.

If you put 1.5 quarts in the crankcase and then pull the level plug before you run up the engine, you will drain off most of a quart, with obvious results.

Running 1.5 qts in a steel framed 450 was OK, because the frame's oil tank was the same actual internal size as the tank on a 426, which had a 1.6L capacity, but it very definitely did read high on the stick when checked (I know, because I always ran my '03 like that). Running any more than 1.2 qts on an '08 (.95 qts without a filter, and 1.1 with one) accomplishes nothing good, and invites problems you simply don't want,

My advise is to follow the manual procedure as written, and not make stuff up as you see fit. At the very least, don't recommend it to anyone else.

• stroker101

Posted October 23, 2007 - 05:16 PM

thanks for the info grayracer, and the feedback. perhaps i should revisit the method i use in changing engine oil.

• grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2007 - 08:02 PM

It's not entirely your fault you misunderstood the process. In the first place, Japanese seems to be an extraordinarily difficult language to translate to English.

Dry sump lube systems are poorly understood by most people outside the motorcycle technical trades, anyway, and while they were once the standard, they aren't even all that common in MC's anymore either. Yamaha confuses the issue even more by having you fill the engine by putting the oil back into the crankcase, instead of the oil tank where it belongs. And now, to mix it up even more, they have placed the once separate oil tank within the engine casting itself. Then they fail to really explain any of this to the user. Using almopst anyone's common perspective would lead you to several incorrect assumptions as to how the system actually works.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.