Do head modifications alter a bikes reliability?

11 replies to this topic
  • Vinny2692

Posted October 20, 2007 - 03:36 PM

I was looking at an 07' yz 450 the other day.. amazing bike. It is one of machine racing's ex race bikes. I noticed that something was engraved on the side of the head, i think it said bondi or something. I was just wondering, if that is some sort of head mod company, would this lower the bikes reliability? sorry for the lack of info.

• Bigcr

Posted October 20, 2007 - 03:56 PM

If it's just porting, probably not...If they put in a really radical cam, it could affect the valve train.

• todds924

Posted October 20, 2007 - 05:12 PM

I was looking at an 07' yz 450 the other day.. amazing bike. It is one of machine racing's ex race bikes. I noticed that something was engraved on the side of the head, i think it said bondi or something. I was just wondering, if that is some sort of head mod company, would this lower the bikes reliability? sorry for the lack of info.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. Is it a bike you were thinking about buying or something?

• yzfmxer

Posted October 21, 2007 - 07:06 AM

Reliability could be affected. especially with a BIG cam and stock springs, seats ect... But if the cam was matched with all of the stronger counterparts, it should be fine. Just ask allot of questions. Like, do you have to run race gas because of the mods, who did the head work, how long since the last top end and or any major motor work. Take er for a test ride, sometimes all of that engine work is tuned to a certain type of power, a type that you might not like.

• Vinny2692

Posted October 21, 2007 - 12:39 PM

well i may not be buying this EXACT bike, but all of their team race bikes are pretty much the same, and there always there. But im pretty shure it said BONDI on the side of the head. And, it is a proffesional race bike, so i would assume that all of the required parts that need to be stronger, would have been added.

• yzfmxer

Posted October 21, 2007 - 01:22 PM

sure it doesnt say BONDO?? :crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • alstar250

Posted October 21, 2007 - 04:19 PM

Reliability could be affected. especially with a BIG cam and stock springs, seats ect... But if the cam was matched with all of the stronger counterparts, it should be fine. Just ask allot of questions. Like, do you have to run race gas because of the mods, who did the head work, how long since the last top end and or any major motor work. Take er for a test ride, sometimes all of that engine work is tuned to a certain type of power, a type that you might not like.

Exactly....great post

• jwash22

Posted February 12, 2008 - 03:44 PM

Bondi is an engine mod place in ontario there one of the best around here ...the bike probably flys but most likely need race gas.

• YZERIK

Posted February 13, 2008 - 07:44 AM

Bondi is an engine mod place in ontario there one of the best around here ...the bike probably flys but most likely need race gas.

yes, bondi deos goood work

• 426boy

Posted February 13, 2008 - 08:20 PM

in my experiences with cars, bikes ect. most mods of any kind dont hurt reliability if they are done correctly. i have seen many cars with n2o, superchargers, turbos, extensive head work, bottom end work ect that have had many many miles on them. i think the main thing is if it is done corectly it does not usually affest reliability. for the most part any way. my buddy had a 2001 cr 125 bored to 145, or something. that was done ok but not done really well, it was really hard to get it jetted right would always foul plugs ect he was always messing with that thing. my other buddy had a 04 yz250f with head work, an ice cube 315cc kit, tons of work, it was always reliable, mainly because it was done correctly and no corners or cut, and no expenses were spared.

• FriscoKLR

Posted February 14, 2008 - 04:34 PM

Knowing if it takes race fuel and what octane for specific elevation is hugely important. If the bike needs race fuel, you have to run it...no exceptions. Detonation can destroy an engine in less than a second. Also, any mod that gains hp will put more stress on the engine. Depending on how tweaked the engine is, expect to shorten maintenance and rebuild durations. With anything high performance, reliability is relative.

• kylwk1500

Posted February 14, 2008 - 06:10 PM

i would be weary here. unless you really need more power out of that already very powerful bike, i would steer clear. I totally belive in setting the rest of your bike up foryou, but try to keep the motor stock and reliable

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.