How long do you let your air filter oil dry???

24 replies to this topic
  • skatpex99

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:12 PM

I just got a twinair air filter and on the bag that it came with it says that I should let it dry for 12-24 hours. The air filter oil that I use says that it only needs to dry for 15 minutes. I am going riding tomorrow and I need to change my oil tonight so can I just let the air filter dry for a couple of hours and it will be fine? thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mc250f

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:15 PM

i would think so man. i would try a dehumidifier to get that moisture out. even if u let it dry for a few hours, then it sits in the air box till tomorrow, i don't see it being a problem.

• KX125TwoStroke

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:18 PM

yea it will be alright man. Just let it sit for a couple hours, and then oil-r-up and put her in the air box and she'll b all nice n ready to go tmrw

• KYMXRacer

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:40 PM

I always used a hair dryer for mine. It'll be dry in about 5 minutes.

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:48 PM

I don't know for sure how long it takes, but I always let my filters dry overnight before I re-oil them (that's why I have 2 filters) . I don't like the idea of trying to oil a damp filter because the oil will not stick to the fabric properly.

• CORider63

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:51 PM

Ditto on the 2nd air filter.

I keep one clean and oiled filter in a gallon-size ziploc bag. :crazy:

• skatpex99

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:05 PM

I don't know for sure how long it takes, but I always let my filters dry overnight before I re-oil them (that's why I have 2 filters) . I don't like the idea of trying to oil a damp filter because the oil will not stick to the fabric properly.

It is a brand new filter and I have never got it wet.

• mikem

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:07 PM

I have a buddy who is a top dirt bike mechanic. He says there is no need to let it dry out. He says after washing, simply hit it across your hand a few times to knock a good bit of the water out. You may even squeeze it gently with a paper towell after hitting it on your and a few times. Then oil and go. He says the water won't really hurt anything, but too much filter oil will. It's the way I do it all the time now. Sometimes sputters just a bit, but then burns off.

• joshb

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:08 PM

just oil it then and your good to go.

i always throw mine in the dyer on medium though to get miine dry.

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:14 PM

It is a brand new filter and I have never got it wet.

Ok, I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about after cleaning the filter.

I usually oil my filters at least 24 hours before I use them, and then put them in a Ziploc bag that has holes punched in it. This gives the oil carriers time to evaporate.

Just for the heck of it, one day I oiled my air filter, put it on my bike, and tried to start it. NO WAY would that bike start, it wasn't getting enough air. The reason is that the carrier in the filter oil hadn't evaporated yet, which basically plugs up the filter so no air will pass through.

• firsthumper

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:31 AM

You should always dry the filter after washing it. I just got a Twin Air filter, and that's what the instructions say. It traps moisture otherwise and couldaffect the proper functionning. You can finish drying it with a blowdryer but I 'd be careful, too much heat is probbaly bad for the glue and the foam.
Then it's best to let the oil dry 24 hours or so before riding, although it's no big deal if you wait a little less. Just make sure there isn't too much oil.

• 06yz

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:04 AM

I always make sure my filters are completly dry before oiling them. When I oil the filter I put right on the bike. I've never had any problems doing this.

MAX!!!

• boomman

Posted 21 October 2007 - 11:03 AM

I use gas to clean mine and 2 minutes in the sun, prest-o, it's dry.

• CamP

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:39 PM

If all you are using is a solvent to clean your filter, you really aren't cleaning your filter. After using the solvent, you should follow up with a couple dish soap and water washes in a bucket. This can take three or more soap and water washes before silt stops coming out of the filter, then follow up with a pure water bath/rinse. You will be amazed at how much dirt continues to come out of the filter. It will look like a handful.

• steve_97060

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:20 PM

If all you are using is a solvent to clean your filter, you really aren't cleaning your filter. After using the solvent, you should follow up with a couple dish soap and water washes in a bucket. This can take three or more soap and water washes before silt stops coming out of the filter, then follow up with a pure water bath/rinse. You will be amazed at how much dirt continues to come out of the filter. It will look like a handful.

I was just going to say the same thing... it is amazing how much more dirt, and filter oil, continues to come out of the filter with a dish soap and warm water cleaning after doing the initial solvent/gas cleaning...

• NorCal

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:11 PM

I just throw mine in the dryer (when my roommates aren't looking) for ten minutes after I clean mine.

Does gas and hot soapy water work well for cleaning air filters? I have been using that UNI filter cleaning. While it works well, it is a little pricey.

• CamP

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:06 PM

Does gas and hot soapy water work well for cleaning air filters? I have been using that UNI filter cleaning. While it works well, it is a little pricey.

I prefer kerosene over gas. Gas will expand the pores of the filter, is harder on the glue and is more toxic. Both Twin Air and Honda recommend kerosene also. In fact, Twin Air filter cleaner is actually kerosene.

• reed1

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:49 PM

Hope to God the bike doesnt back fire:eek:

• m22

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:52 PM

After i clean a filter i give it 24 hrs to dry before oiling. After oiling i also try to give it 24 hrs. As others have stated have at least 2 filters so you always have 1 ready.

Twin air filter, oil, & cleaner

Mike :crazy: :D

• Denn10

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:59 AM

Hes NOT talking about after cleaning hes asking "how long to let the OIL dry" UHHH i dont let mine dry really sometimes i clean and re oil and im riding same day. Ive started my bike MANY MANY times right after a fresh filter and oil go on and it ALWAYS starts, i dont know why that one guy said he couldnt get a bike to start after he put a filter in. You dont need to over oil a filter just get a good coating and get it even throughout the filter and take it out, if you plan a little clean and oil the night before if you really want to.

Related Content

Reviews

KTM 300 XC 2014 by MotoX178

KTM 300 XC 2014
  • 1 review
  • Last review by MotoX178
  • On 18 April 2014
Forums
Photo

Handguard installation by lucky phil

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • 11 replies
Forums
Photo

Use Hand Guards or Not? (Saving Lever Type) by mglmstr

• 16 replies
Forums
Photo

79 Honda XR185 for sale by Josh52894

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Vintage
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

What did you do to your crf250l today? by shiftline

• Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.