CA emissions stickers?

24 replies to this topic
  • Dezertsaint

Posted October 19, 2007 - 02:04 PM

I have a 2001 XR650R I just got plated at the DMV. Everything was good untill yesterday when I got a notice from the DMV saying I need a CA emission sticker to keep my plate. :crazy: :D
Does anyone know what they look like or where I can aqiure one????
I am willing to pay for one-
thanks-

• The Regulator

Posted October 19, 2007 - 02:11 PM

You can't get one! Must be issued by CARB. When did you get it plated? Was it flagged in Sac? :crazy:

• Dezertsaint

Posted October 19, 2007 - 02:15 PM

Got the plate in escondido- went through all the hoops and now i hit a wall-
Who Is CARB????

• martinfan30

Posted October 19, 2007 - 02:17 PM

california air resources board.:applause: :crazy: :D

• The Regulator

Posted October 19, 2007 - 02:19 PM

Was this a California green sticker bike?

• Dezertsaint

Posted October 19, 2007 - 02:19 PM

Oh NICE-
I don't like the sound of them already. But I'll see if I can find um'.
Thanks-

If anybody has a picture of one... I would really like to see what they look like.

• Dezertsaint

Posted October 19, 2007 - 02:20 PM

It was plated in Colorado- then switched to a CA green sticker - then I got it plated- till now-
Does the green sticker HELP me with getting a plate???????
*!&^*&$&^%$!&^)*&^!$- GOVERNMENT!

• sharktaco

Posted October 19, 2007 - 05:40 PM

Me thinks you may be screwed :crazy: Friggin Kalifornia.

• XR250rdr

Posted October 19, 2007 - 05:42 PM

Your mistake was going from CO plate to green sticker. You needed bring it into CA as a street bike.

• Billahjack

Posted October 19, 2007 - 05:57 PM

I know the original rear fender has stickers, but your bike is probably not a CA bike and didn't have CA emissions. I don't think the factory stickers work anyway.

You can go to ebay and check out the XR650R rear fender for bid. Its somewhere east and probably doesn't have anything for CA.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gearloos

Posted October 19, 2007 - 06:17 PM

Wouldn't matter.
Sorry to say but no 650R has or had carb emissions equipment (or stickers)to pass in California for street use.
It's just that before a couple years ago they didn't require it.:crazy: :bonk: B) :D Not enough Emoticons to show how much I love Kalifornia:rant: :applause:

• zrxer

Posted October 20, 2007 - 06:18 AM

I just went through the same thing not long ago. Got a nice Arizona plated bike. Went to the DMV and was told I needed an emission lable. Didn't have one. So, I said lets just register it for off road then. The lady tells me I need the appropriate emission lable for that too!! You gotta be freakin' kidding me!!! That bike is still in limbo but I found a plated one here in CA that I got a great deal on. Anyone in AZ interested in a nice plated one?

• piedralone

Posted October 21, 2007 - 04:49 PM

From what i've been hearing & seeing, Ca is cracking down and catching up with converted bikes. I had heard of CHP Officers pulling over dual sports just to see if they are converted (Cen Ca Fresno area). DMV is recalling plates from converted off highway vehicles. Ca is the leader for emmission controls, CARB (Ca Air Resoures Board), they even mandate gas cans that are F*** up!! Federal bikes are probaly next.

• gearloos

Posted October 21, 2007 - 05:17 PM

From what i've been hearing & seeing, Ca is cracking down

And its only going to get worse: California to sue EPA next week on emissions waiver
The feds have been holding up Ca from getting even tougher and the politicians in Ca. :D are getting upset!:crazy:
Heres a link if anyone wants to read the story.
http://www.reuters.c...043263720071020
This state really does suck

• ca_carl

Posted October 21, 2007 - 06:22 PM

And its only going to get worse: California to sue EPA next week on emissions waiver
The feds have been holding up Ca from getting even tougher and the politicians in Ca. :bonk: are getting upset!:crazy:
Heres a link if anyone wants to read the story.
http://www.reuters.c...043263720071020
This state really does suck

Claiming that one of the top 3 most polluted states in the country trying to make the situation better makes them "suck" is going a bit overboard. :applause:

In any event, the laws aren't new, and they're not going to get more lenient. The best we can hope for is for companies like the big H to realize that dual-sports can be a competitive and viable market, even in the US, and start making more of their "off-highway" bikes 50 state compliant (KTM and Husqvarna seems to think it's worth the effort :D ).

• ca_carl

Posted October 21, 2007 - 06:37 PM

I just went through the same thing not long ago. Got a nice Arizona plated bike. Went to the DMV and was told I needed an emission lable. Didn't have one. So, I said lets just register it for off road then. The lady tells me I need the appropriate emission lable for that too!! You gotta be freakin' kidding me!!! That bike is still in limbo but I found a plated one here in CA that I got a great deal on. Anyone in AZ interested in a nice plated one?

zrxer,
You didn't state what year your bike is, but you shouldn't have a problem getting an off-highway red sticker for that bike, you can't get a green sticker for anything newer than 2002 without the proper CARB certification.

If it's older than 2002, I think red/green seems to up to who you get at the DMV; my understanding is pre 2002, green sticker OK, but i've seen others post that they will only issue green stickers to pre 2002 bikes which already have green stickers (issued prior to '03)?

more info here:
http://www.dmv.ca.go...ohvredgreen.htm

That page seems to make it pretty clear that you should be able to get at least a red sticker, If it were my bike, i'd certainly give it another shot.

BTW, How much are you asking for the AZ bike?

• bosshog

Posted October 21, 2007 - 07:02 PM

Claiming that one of the top 3 most polluted states in the country trying to make the situation better makes them "suck" is going a bit overboard. :applause:

In any event, the laws aren't new, and they're not going to get more lenient. The best we can hope for is for companies like the big H to realize that dual-sports can be a competitive and viable market, even in the US, and start making more of their "off-highway" bikes 50 state compliant (KTM and Husqvarna seems to think it's worth the effort :D ).

I don't live anywhere near CA so I wont begin to tell you how to solve your polution problems and forgive me if I don't get this right. So a green plated off-highway bikes don't have as strict a requirment for emissions? Why's that? Would it not be polluting just the same but only not on the street? You do have emission testing don't you? Why can't that be the basis of a pass or fail, plate or no plate. The stamp of aproval (sticker) from CARB won't make your bike any cleaner. If the goal is less pollution than who cares how it's done. If your bike passes emissions your good to go. It would pass just fine I'm sure in stock "corked" trim likely uncorked aswell. Honda just didn't spend the millions to get CARB blessing for road use right? It's good to have emission limits but it should be checked at the source, your tailpipe not the office of some research board. Governments are usually well intentioned but seldom work well. :crazy: I hate burocracy

• XR4DEZ

Posted October 21, 2007 - 07:25 PM

Order the one off the "L" and give it a try. You should be able to find the sticker in the OEM parts.

• The Regulator

Posted October 21, 2007 - 07:36 PM

Order the one off the "L" and give it a try. You should be able to find the sticker in the OEM parts.

I don't believe that is an option. No replacements from what I've heard. If you need proof on an "L" than you need a certified letter from MFG and CARB if you have no sticker.:crazy:

• ca_carl

Posted October 21, 2007 - 07:49 PM

I don't live anywhere near CA so I wont begin to tell you how to solve your polution problems and forgive me if I don't get this right. So a green plated off-highway bikes don't have as strict a requirment for emissions? Why's that? Would it not be polluting just the same but only not on the street? You do have emission testing don't you? Why can't that be the basis of a pass or fail, plate or no plate. The stamp of aproval (sticker) from CARB won't make your bike any cleaner. If the goal is less pollution than who cares how it's done. If your bike passes emissions your good to go. It would pass just fine I'm sure in stock "corked" trim likely uncorked aswell. Honda just didn't spend the millions to get CARB blessing for road use right? It's good to have emission limits but it should be checked at the source, your tailpipe not the office of some research board. Governments are usually well intentioned but seldom work well. :crazy: I hate burocracy

Hi bosshog,

California does not currently require emissions testing for motorcycles. You have a point that it may be more effective in actually reducing emissions, but it would be substantially more restrictive than the current laws (and look at all the people complaining already).

This still wouldn't eliminate the need for green-sticker bikes, as CA seems to be a bit more lenient for "off-road" bikes that meet a minimum of emission requirements, perhaps under the assumption that they are not ridden daily on public streets (maybe only weekly or less), so contribute less to the overall problem (fair, in my opinion). Or red-sticker off road bikes, as these are technically "race only" bikes.

Cheers,
Carl.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.