Just changing springs..yay or nay?

10 replies to this topic
  • TWILES

Posted October 19, 2007 - 11:13 AM

Is there enough adjustment on the comp and rebound in the suspension to get it pretty good with just changing the springs?

• redswr

Posted October 19, 2007 - 11:15 AM

depends on how much you weight... and how far your jumping...

• KennyMc

Posted October 19, 2007 - 11:20 AM

I tried to get the suspension setup for me on my 07 WR450 without doing the re-spring and re-valve. I ride slow single track in the mountains in the summer and fast desert in the winter. Due to my fat a$$ (218lbs) I couldn't get it right. I just got back from dropping off the bike at RG3 for a complete front and back re-work.

I will get it back next week and try it out on the weekend.:crazy:

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 19, 2007 - 11:24 AM

At 205lbs I re-sprung and have been 90% satisfied.

Front will still bottom when race incorporates MX track, I have to adjust re-bound and compression if I want a smoother ride when just trail riding with the kid or slower group versus racing...:crazy:

• tmckeown

Posted October 19, 2007 - 11:39 AM

re-valve and springs both (if springs needed)

Timo McKeown

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • redswr

Posted October 19, 2007 - 11:46 AM

i just did a respring @ 215# and i love it... haven't gotten out to the mx track yet but on a 75'er i was barely bottoming out with the stock... guess its all in how smooth the jump is.

• TWILES

Posted October 19, 2007 - 11:50 AM

At 205lbs I re-sprung and have been 90% satisfied.

Front will still bottom when race incorporates MX track, I have to adjust re-bound and compression if I want a smoother ride when just trail riding with the kid or slower group versus racing...:crazy:

Thats what I was wanting to hear. I'm going to start racing some XC races. I went to see if I could even make the 2 hour race and had no trouble but it dawned on me that I'm about 75 heavier than the suspension is designed for when I ended up 5' in the air and bottomed out in the hole I landed in. I can get around pretty good with it stock but the springs would be nice. I was pretty good at setting the suspension on my quads. As long as the adjustments are pretty broad from one extreme to the other, I think I can get it close enough. I don't want to spend $750 on the total package.

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 19, 2007 - 11:56 AM

Thats what I was wanting to hear. I'm going to start racing some XC races. I went to see if I could even make the 2 hour race and had no trouble but it dawned on me that I'm about 75 heavier than the suspension is designed for when I ended up 5' in the air and bottomed out in the hole I landed in. I can get around pretty good with it stock but the springs would be nice. I was pretty good at setting the suspension on my quads. As long as the adjustments are pretty broad from one extreme to the other, I think I can get it close enough. I don't want to spend $750 on the total package.

I see you have an 05'...... I was more satisfied with my 04' spring change vs. my 07' and I was even heavier then.. I know the 07' forks are essentially the same just bigger diameter but I still feel that I had better results on my 04' after just re-springing...

I hear ya on the racing thing, I went from short course last year to long course this year and at the 2.5 - 3 hour mark the old WR starts feeling pretty heavy :crazy:

• TWILES

Posted October 19, 2007 - 12:40 PM

I did pretty good on my trial run. I rode as fast as the trails would let me go and I hit the roughest hills I could find the could actually hold out for 4 laps and 100+ bikes per lap. I'm 250lbs but I'm not fat. I'm a bricklayer and I've bulked up a lot since I was 19. I was 225 than and the older I got the thicker I got. The only thing that REALLY got to me was from picking my legs up to shift and hit the back breaks. They started hurting bad at my hips. I guess thats the only part of my body that doesn't get a good workout at work. I paid for the AMA membership today. The race is Sunday and I can't wait.

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 22, 2007 - 07:43 AM

The only thing that REALLY got to me was from picking my legs up to shift and hit the back breaks. They started hurting bad at my hips.

OK, this is going to sound a little soft, but I have a one word solution for your hips ..... YOGA.

• Mutu

Posted October 23, 2007 - 02:44 AM

re-valve and springs both (if springs needed)

Timo McKeown

Amen brother! :crazy:

Put it this way Twiles, if the valving is too soft for the stock springs, what is it going to be like with up-rated springs?

I just got heavier springs to start with, made a crap load of a difference. I just couldn't get the dampening right. I tried different oil weights and heights, every clicker combo possible, but there is not much you can do to compensate for the soft valving. I finally gave up and sent my suspension away and got it revalved. OH BOY!!!! Far better than just the new springs. I say don't waste your time, get it set up properly from the start. :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.