!@!@!! XL600 Timing Chain : )

7 replies to this topic
  • timstiles1

Posted October 18, 2007 - 10:59 PM

Looking for any tips or tricks on how to get the timing chain back on the camshaft sprocket and aligned correctly. I have the factory Honda and an after-market service manual and neither are too helpful here. They both suggest fitting the cam and sprocket in aligned, pulling the chain over the sprocket, and releasing the tensioner. As far as I can tell , and I'm a pretty decent mechanic, this is impossible. I have figured out another way to get the cam and chain and everything in but I'm always a click off with the sprocket marks that align with the head. A click off to the left, take it apart, move the chain on the sprocket, insert, and now I'm off a click to the right.

Also the factory manual has one doing all of this with the tensioner installed but not released - this at least to me seems to make everything even more impossible. My local bike mechanic puts the tensioner in last after everything is lined up.

So if anyone wants to share their experiences doing this I'm ready to read!

Thanks,

Tim
1984 XL600 "Project" Bike
It's just a cam chain away from going back together and not being a project bike anymore.

• Nate R

Posted November 04, 2007 - 10:08 PM

Where'd you end up with this?

• timstiles1

Posted November 05, 2007 - 11:28 PM

Embarrassing user error. The 84 case had no clear TDC alignment mark. The 86 case I had did so I used that to line things up and it worked brilliantly.

• 83xl600help

Posted March 26, 2009 - 01:57 PM

the way i did it on my 83 xl is i took the cam out put the chain on the cam gear then slid (i use that word loosely) the cam through the middle of the cam gear then bolted it in i didnt even have to mess with the tensioner. now i have a question at tdc is the lobes on the cam supposed to be up or down?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • akarob

Posted March 26, 2009 - 03:31 PM

So we can assume you are all set and close this ticket?

• Horri

Posted March 26, 2009 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE:: I have a question at tdc is the lobes on the cam supposed to be up or down?

Down,,No idea how you managed to get it on with the cam chain tensioner in position..Next to impossible if you ask me.

• Patman1

Posted March 26, 2009 - 06:17 PM

Don't forget to do two full revolutions with the engine after installing.It might LOOK a tooth off,but after two revs it'll be right on.Happens all the time with t-belts on cars.

• brupska

Posted March 26, 2009 - 07:08 PM

When I put my xr650l back together. put the cam in with the chain still tied up and I got it the sprocket lined up with two lines even with the head and the crank on TDC. Then I started the cam chain on the sprocket. I had to rotate the engine to get chain to go back on the cam sprocket. I rotated it counter clockwise and it went right on. I just made sure when I was starting to put the chain on that nothing moved until I had it engaged on a couple teeth. I hope that helps. I did this all witht he tensioner uninstalled.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.