capacitor size

28 replies to this topic
  • AnthonyB

Posted October 25, 2007 - 10:43 PM

Wow?????

Please don't get uptight with the responses you've received when clearly you haven't asked correctly :crazy: ...
Thumper_Bloke also didn't know what you were trying to achieve and asked / observed with his post;
"Is this a power-to-weight issue or a weight-to-handling problem?
I think he's looking to lighten the bike to make it handle better?"

Now that we all know the real requirement maybe you'll get the advice you require? such as;
Replace the battery with a Zinc-Air unit, or use the YZ electrics
Remove Starter Motor and lights.
Replace exhaust system in it's entirety with a Titanium header / Aluminum Silencer
Lighten your flywheel, (although this will have an effect on low speed driveability)

There are a few more options depending on whether your requirement includes handling as against simply lightening the overall bike ie: sprung vs. unsprung weight, and will include your wheels, tyres, (including tubes), disks, swing arm, brake calipers and shocks.

• ncmountainman

Posted October 26, 2007 - 03:55 AM

Wow?????

Please don't get uptight with the responses you've received when clearly you haven't asked correctly :crazy: ...
Thumper_Bloke also didn't know what you were trying to achieve and asked / observed with his post;
"Is this a power-to-weight issue or a weight-to-handling problem?
I think he's looking to lighten the bike to make it handle better?"

Now that we all know the real requirement maybe you'll get the advice you require? such as;
Replace the battery with a Zinc-Air unit, or use the YZ electrics
Remove Starter Motor and lights.
Replace exhaust system in it's entirety with a Titanium header / Aluminum Silencer
Lighten your flywheel, (although this will have an effect on low speed driveability)

There are a few more options depending on whether your requirement includes handling as against simply lightening the overall bike ie: sprung vs. unsprung weight, and will include your wheels, tyres, (including tubes), disks, swing arm, brake calipers and shocks.

i beleive there is a misconception that you have to replace the battery with something(capacitor) when removed...well you don't(if done correctly),and you don't need yz electrics either. and after all is said and done with removing anything to do with the starter(which includes the starter drive assmbly on the crank;which in turn lightens the fww) i lost 12.5 lbs,alot of which was high up above the COG. the bike handled alot better in the tight stuff and after all of the other lightening tricks it was over 20lbs lighter,in fact it weighs only a 4 lbs more than my 05 yz did stock. and i disagree that its not worth the time or effort,because it wasn't that hard:excuseme:

• geoffro

Posted October 26, 2007 - 03:55 AM

thank you anthB,now we getting somewhere with your technical answers and not the keg/beer belly/modified motor answers you were giving.
I think I asked the question correctly and/or everyone knew what I meant.
I do agree that sometimes these mods are not worth the time and money compared to the results but if we dont ask,we'll never learn.I'm going to weigh up buying a yz450 but love the WR gearing for hills and open offroads.

• ncmountainman

Posted October 26, 2007 - 04:05 AM

i forgot to add that if your wr is a 03-06 you can then replace the airbox assmbly to a 03-05 yz setup for another pound loss and much better flow(costs around $100 for the parts new):crazy: and this would also allow the use of the yz filter assembly(the stock wr boot will fit as long as you get the plastic part forward of the cage that attaches to the boot and box) if you want to spend a little extra for even more flow.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • geoffro

Posted October 26, 2007 - 08:21 AM

thanks NC it seems you've done this exercise before,thanks for all the advice but I'm going to try "taking off" before "replacing",but good to know these things for future.
why didnt I find this sight sooner...all those hours lying awake at night......:crazy: :applause: :D

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted October 27, 2007 - 01:00 AM

This topic of lightening the bike for better handling has got me thinking about the latest MX ktm's. This years KTM 450SX for moto/super does not come with a kickstarter. Its electric start ONLY, with the battery under the seat just like our WR's. Why would KTM do this?

• geoffro

Posted October 27, 2007 - 11:22 PM

I see that !but the overall weight is aprox 100kg they say(within 0.5kg of the crf,yzf etc) I suppose there is no other practical place to put the battery.
Don't know if no kickstart is such a good idea?!:worthy:

• fitzy

Posted November 28, 2007 - 03:23 AM

I just fitted 4 amp hr battery to my 07 wr 450. stock is a 7. Spins over no worries and is 800grams lighter. about 2 lbs. smaller dimension and cheap. Any battery shop will have them. And yes it was worth while and noticeable differace tipping the bike in

• Hollywood

Posted November 28, 2007 - 03:49 AM

There is a guy testing Li-ion batteries over on KTMtalk. He sent me one to test on the WR - it is the size, roughly, of 2 decks of cards and weighs just under a pound vs. the Yuasa 7 that is 6.5 pounds. That and a lighter exhaust/header combo and I've lost almost 15 lbs up top. Of course I've probably just put it back by adding an IMS tank and a scott's stabilizer.... oh well.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.