installing gty-r clutch need help

22 replies to this topic
  • chan470

Posted October 18, 2007 - 01:16 PM

I'm installing clutch basket tonight. I know to drill rivets but what about the gear. The directions say the gear must be pressed on to the gyt-r clutch basket. I don't have a press. Any suggestions?

I reinstalled old basket and when I put the trust washer on it would fall off the splines before it would reach the clutch basket. Is that normal?

help!!

• grayracer513

Posted October 18, 2007 - 01:36 PM

I'm installing clutch basket tonight. I know to drill rivets but what about the gear. The directions say the gear must be pressed on to the gyt-r clutch basket. I don't have a press. Any suggestions?

I reinstalled old basket and when I put the trust washer on it would fall off the splines before it would reach the clutch basket. Is that normal?

help!!

The press fit, as I recall, isn't that tight, and you can generally use a big C clamp, parts of a large puller, etc., to put it together, if that's even needed. Be sure to get all the cushion springs seated, use Loc-Tite (red) on the bolts, get them good and tight, and stake them in place.

The thrust washer thing is normal.

• chan470

Posted October 18, 2007 - 02:07 PM

stake them in place

not sure what you mean? explain please:excuseme:

• grayracer513

Posted October 18, 2007 - 04:20 PM

You've probably seen it, but not known what to call it. Once tightened the edge of the head of a countersunk bolt is struck with a punch so that it causes the edge to deform and protrude into the surface of the part it clamps. This deformation becomes like a little locking tab, making it more difficult to back out.

You can also stake the threaded end of the bolt if it is visible, and comes up close to flush with the part it threads into. This works the same way, causing a burred edge on the thread too large to pass back through the threaded hole without some effort. It's an extra precaution.

• chan470

Posted October 18, 2007 - 06:29 PM

I have the rivets drilled out but I can't get the smaller gear out. Can I apply heat? Just want to make sure I'm not going to damage anything.

• todds924

Posted October 18, 2007 - 07:38 PM

I have the rivets drilled out but I can't get the smaller gear out. Can I apply heat? Just want to make sure I'm not going to damage anything.

I believe the smaller gear is part of the clutch drive gear. They don't seperate. Once you have the heads ground off the rivits, you should be able to take the drive gear off. It may take a little persuasion.

• chan470

Posted October 18, 2007 - 07:59 PM

mine seperated. larger gear is off and smaller gear still on clutch basket :crazy:

• chan470

Posted October 19, 2007 - 06:42 AM

I still can't get the smaller gear off the basket. I tried a 10" c-clamp but the gear would not move. I need to have the bike together before tonight.

Any suggestons?

• grayracer513

Posted October 19, 2007 - 07:03 AM

There are two types of drive gear/basket setups used in YZF's; one in which the auxiliary drive gear (the small one the drives the oil pump and works the kick starter) is a part of the cushion unit, and the other in which the gear is pressed into the center of the basket. This second one is typified by the presence of a set of splines at the center of the basket, and if that's the kind you have, you need to take the old and new baskets with the gear to any shop that has a press, and have them swap the gear from one basket to the other. It can be a motorcycle shop, a machine shop, or even an auto repair shop, as long as the press operator is competent.

• chan470

Posted October 19, 2007 - 09:33 AM

I took it to a machine shop. 5 minutes later problem was solved. Thanks for the help gr.
:crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chan470

Posted October 19, 2007 - 02:53 PM

I have everything installed but no tension at lever? where should I start? I have race tomorrowing morning!!!:crazy:

• chan470

Posted October 19, 2007 - 04:08 PM

Do i use all the fiction and metal plates? Or do I use the same quantity so stock? I think there was i more fiction and metal plate. Help please!

• todds924

Posted October 19, 2007 - 05:11 PM

I believe i gave you wrong info yesterday about that gear you couldn;t get off. I had a chance to look at one today and it is a press fit. As far as you not having tension at the lever, Are you using the stock plates? Do you have a different number of plates in the kit than you did from stock? You need to use ALL the plates that came in the kit. I installed a Barnett Basket on a 07 and it used 9 friction plates and 8 steels. The stock 07 used only 8 friction and 7 steels.

• chan470

Posted October 19, 2007 - 05:47 PM

when i use all the plates I have no tension at lever. I removed one fiber and one metal then I had tension at lever(too much). I started the bike and the clutch will not disengage. Example when I let out on the clutch and held the front brake the bike did not move. The bike tried to inch forward alittle but that was all. What is going on? I have to fix this tonight if i don't make my race tomorrow I fall out of series and I running second in points.

Help anyone!! I don't know what to do. I have started at the beginning about 7 times now. In review when I install all plates, 2 rings, and one larger friction plate I have no tension at are acutator. Should I leave the rings out and just install like stock clutch stack? When I remove one of each I have too much tension and clutch will not disengage completely. Help!!!

• grayracer513

Posted October 19, 2007 - 07:46 PM

Which clutch plates and springs are you using?

• chan470

Posted October 19, 2007 - 07:49 PM

gyt-r plates and yamaha springs, gyt-r clutch basket, stock inner hub, stock pressure plate.

I'm at a total loss. I have been working on this all day. any help would be greatly appreciated.

• grayracer513

Posted October 19, 2007 - 08:01 PM

What year/engine?

• chan470

Posted October 19, 2007 - 08:12 PM

07 450

I clutch gyt-r part #gyt-5ta56-30-00 has clutch boss spring and seal plate. When these were installed I had no tension at the clutch lever. I then removed boss spring and seal plate. I had tension at lever but too much tension. I started bike let it warm up let the clutch out and the bike moved but it much. I shut down immediatly.

I took clutch apart reinstall basket, inner hub, and pushrod. I know for sure that ball bearing is in push rod. Assembled all with same result. ???

• grayracer513

Posted October 19, 2007 - 08:28 PM

It's interesting that the GYT-R catalog does not list a clutch plate kit for the '07.

Try it this way:
Use the 8 "normal" friction plates, and 7 steels. This is how the '07 clutch should set up. Don't use the special inner friction plate, the boss spring, or seat plate, and one of the steels. Also, if it comes with one, don't use the GYT-R actuator arm, either. See how that works.

• chan470

Posted October 19, 2007 - 08:54 PM

I compared the old and new metal plates. The new plates are not as thick. 8 new metals=7 old metals.

Do you think I could reuse old metals and new fibers just to get through race weekend?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.