Making an 2004 XR-L into a supermoto questions

8 replies to this topic
  • thesurferfightsalone

Posted October 18, 2007 - 12:43 PM

Just a couple for you:

1. I believe the stock wheels are 18" x 2.125" in the rear and 21" x 1.75" in the front, or something close to that. I've seen that many of supermoto bikes have 17 or 18 inch wheels front and rear. What width rims work best for everyday street riding and good tire selection?

2. Switching to 17" rims front and rear would set the back down .5 inches, but the front down 2 inches. Do the smaller wheels affect the bikes geometry negatively? Maybe positively?

3. Do you swear by any specific tires or components that perform really well?

4. Do you have any other advice regarding gearing, things to avoid, pro's and con's, do's and don'ts, and everything else that would help me?

Thanks everyone!

• martinfan30

Posted October 18, 2007 - 01:40 PM

check the SM forum or supermotojunkies.

• Denn10

Posted October 18, 2007 - 02:01 PM

ive seen a few that have SuMo'd some Ls and they never said anything about wheel size affecting handling at all, you hay just have to play with setup to your liking. I just saw someone this week that said they had an oversized front rotor so i asked where they got it, ill look for it and let ya know. GL with your project

scalejockey is his name PM him and see where he got his oversized kit from, ive looked without succes

• XR650L_Dave

Posted October 18, 2007 - 02:08 PM

Generally speaking, a smaller dia. front wheel will decrease rake and trail, making it turn in 'faster'. Don't know if it does so so much, that stability is affected.

The smaller dia. front wheel also aids a faster/easier 'turn in' just because its a smaller diameter.

There, that's everything I know on the topic!

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FoolishMortal

Posted October 18, 2007 - 04:01 PM

Here is what I'm doing: http://www.thumperta...22&postcount=10

:D Advice (worth what you paid):

* Get the suspension set up for street/SM right away. The stock suspension will not be anything like what you need for aggressive riding on the street.

*Changing to 17" wheels will feel like you dropped a tooth on the front sprocket and you're going to be riding backroads rather than trails, so strongly consider different gearing.

*Most folks go with a 3.5" front to run 120/70 or 120/60 and a 4.25" rear to run a 150 or a 4.5" rear to run a 160. You can get quality rubber in both sizes.

*If front-end stability is an issue, there's always the option of a steering damper.

*It's not a cheap project unless you're really handy in a machine shop, so be prepared...

:crazy:

• LeadDoggy

Posted October 19, 2007 - 05:16 AM

Don't have answers, but this is the kit I was planning on if and when I purchase an XR650L for SuperMoto conversion

http://www.motostran...sucokihoxr.html

• mgs781

Posted October 19, 2007 - 07:33 AM

Just a couple for you:

1. I believe the stock wheels are 18" x 2.125" in the rear and 21" x 1.75" in the front, or something close to that. I've seen that many of supermoto bikes have 17 or 18 inch wheels front and rear. What width rims work best for everyday street riding and good tire selection?

2. Switching to 17" rims front and rear would set the back down .5 inches, but the front down 2 inches. Do the smaller wheels affect the bikes geometry negatively? Maybe positively?

3. Do you swear by any specific tires or components that perform really well?

4. Do you have any other advice regarding gearing, things to avoid, pro's and con's, do's and don'ts, and everything else that would help me?

Thanks everyone!

You can take an "L" as far as you want too. This is mine.

http://www.thumperta...achmentid=13913

Just adding the wheels and sportbike tires will transform the handling of the bike. A fork brace is recommended for the stock forks. The bike handles best with 120 front and 150 rear. My 160 rear looks cool but slows down the steering.

I bought Excel rims (the best besides Alpina) and Talon hubs (also good) with no rear cush drive. My counter shaft looks good after 10,000 miles. I am not sure cush is needed, but probably doesn't hurt. RAD mfg makes a cush drive hub for the L.

I added 45mm forks and have upset the stiffness of the chassis, it flexes now under heavy corning loads. Again it looks cool.

My MotoMaster 320mm disk warped after a few thousand miles, my old EBC was better.

Let me know if you need more,

MGS

• hondacrf150f1

Posted October 22, 2007 - 06:34 AM

I put marchesini's on mine, 17" wheels 3.5 front 4.25 rear, 120 front 150 rear tire, it does make the bike lower in the front but i really dont mind it at all, i havent changed the suspension at all with the new tires.

The handling is amazing, at slow speeds it almost feels to twitchy the first time you get on it. You can go into turns fast and lean over way farther.:crazy:

Do the motostrano set up you wont regret it

• thesurferfightsalone

Posted October 22, 2007 - 07:10 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. That Mostrano kit looks very promising. Maybe I'll pick up an early Christmas present for myself!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.