xr600 spark, stator rewind

10 replies to this topic
  • bt08231

Posted October 18, 2007 - 03:30 AM

Picked up an old 87 xr 600 for 375.00 in decent shape, she turns over, but the spark is the sadest thing ive ever seen. Completly lame, so....im going to rewind the stator. Ive found some good articles on here about it but still had one question, i saw a guy on here who used 33 gauge wire, is that the stock size? if not is fatter sized wire better or worse? what size do you guys recommend i use? Ill let you all know how it turns out. thanks for the help

• scalejockey

Posted October 18, 2007 - 04:12 AM

That won't help your spark.
Is there a problem of how it runs?

• bt08231

Posted October 18, 2007 - 04:46 AM

it will make a much healthier spark, ive yet to get the bike to run, carbs were leaking so we disassembled and cleaned them (floats mainly, they were stuck open) anyway the spark sucks so a coil is on order and the stator is gettin rewound, i read that the heat and oil eventually breaks them down ruining the spark.

• martinfan30

Posted October 18, 2007 - 06:48 AM

ive read several articles about rewinding to improve spark quality. am i delusional?:crazy:

• cleonard

Posted October 18, 2007 - 06:53 AM

I'm the one that used the 33 gauge wire. I would go no larger than 32. The problem is that the voltage is determined by the number of turns. The stock machine wind is really tight. I don't think that I got nearly as many turns with my hand winding. The larger the wire the less turns will fit. The upside of larger wire is that it is stronger.

My bike starts great. However, due to the lesser number of turns I have to kick it harder to make it spin fast enough to make a good spark. I get first kick starts at least 50% of the time.

The best write up is at http://www.crustyqui...ech/stator.html

Since you are replacing the coil, I'd replace try that first and see if it makes any difference. It's not technically difficult to do the stator winding, but it does take some time and it will make your fingers hurt as you put turn after turn on there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bt08231

Posted October 18, 2007 - 09:00 AM

awesome, sounds good, yeah that coil should basically just plug up and then well see if the spark changes. If not, rewind it is, so i guess ill go a little bit smaller than 33 gauge.

• bt08231

Posted November 11, 2007 - 09:59 AM

another question, i dont have the parts in front of me to look at so bear with me this question may sound stupid, but when you rewind the stator, where exactly do the two ends of the wire go? I havent seen anything about this in the articles on the internet. Sorry if this sounds stupid but electrics baffle me....

• cleonard

Posted November 11, 2007 - 10:40 AM

Connect the starting of the wind to the stator. This is then connected to the frame of the bike through the engine. Just solder to the existing connection. The outside of the wind is connected to the black with red stripe wire. Look at how the original winding is strain relieved and try to replicate it.

Take a look at that JAW/CrustyQuinns link that I posted earlier. It has lots of nice photos.

• rmhrc630

Posted November 11, 2007 - 05:45 PM

Are you fer real dude?

Of course a rewind on a 20 year old bike known for stator issues will improve spark.

To the original poster - rewinding is the solution.

• scalejockey

Posted November 12, 2007 - 05:48 AM

uh... whatever

Anybody know what a volt\ohm meter is??

• martinfan30

Posted November 12, 2007 - 11:36 AM

a what?

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  40 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.