Paint or powder coat???

5 replies to this topic
  • maxtherat

Posted October 17, 2007 - 05:20 PM

I have an 01 wr426 and it is time to grease rear linkage. Swing arm is looking a bit beat up so I was thinking about repainting. What have you guys done to refinish and has been pretty durable? Will a 03+ swing arm (grained alum. finish) fit on a 01? Thanks for any input.

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 17, 2007 - 05:46 PM

Powdercoat will be most durable

• steve10391

Posted October 17, 2007 - 07:58 PM

Powder coat is very durable but its also very hard to repair scratches. For the street I might consider powder coat but for dirt you better go with the paint. If you scratch it its easy to fix. Sand it down, paint it, throw some new decals on it and its good as new.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted October 18, 2007 - 08:11 AM

How about "Shot Peened" then clear anodize that would look cool and be very low maintance

• maxtherat

Posted October 18, 2007 - 03:52 PM

Do you know where I can see some examples of that? Any thoughts about newer model swing arm?

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted March 05, 2008 - 11:22 PM

Powder coat is very durable but its also very hard to repair scratches. For the street I might consider powder coat but for dirt you better go with the paint. If you scratch it its easy to fix. Sand it down, paint it, throw some new decals on it and its good as new.

the frames come from the factory powder painted.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.