Is the XR650L really that reliable?

49 replies to this topic
  • hondacrf150f1

Posted October 27, 2007 - 04:25 PM

well i didnt read anything except for the first post but i am extremely inpressed with my XR250L, its got 10,500 miles on it with nothing but valve adjustment and oil changes. Its been dropped at speeds, ridden in 1st gear wound right up in the woods, and wound right up going 70 down the highway, i really go full throttle on the road in 4th 5th and 6th gear. I think the only way i could **** this thing up is to keep bouncing off the rev limiter in neutral. I would imagine the 650L would be even more reliable considering its got way more power, you wouldnt have to rev it so high to make power. Plus i dont think you would wanta be doing a lota hard core off-road riding with the 650L:bonk:
Gota love the XR's, most reliable off-road bike ever biult:applause:

• rawsonboy

Posted November 01, 2007 - 07:37 PM

The main fairly-rare XRL problems-

-Bad CDI- $90- $130

-Dropping a valve seat- good excuse to put in a high-comp piston! I have heard of folks getting out of the bush with this failure

-Heard of one case of the auto-decompressor failing 'on'.

The bike was pushed/towed out of 5-miles-of-hell. If they had loosened the (right?) exhaust valve, they could have ridden it out.

Dave

I have had a bad CDI - 90 bucks or so, no problems since.

I also dropped a valve seat and managed to ride it 30 or so miles.

Tough as boots.

• weasel257

Posted July 02, 2011 - 06:56 PM

My XRL just went through about two months of hell until the very competent dealer finally figured out that the right side valve seat was dropping down and then going back in (talk about making you loose your mind guessing) Is this a common problem?? The dealer is now telling me the head is defective and I'm eating cost!!! Any body who has been through this W.T.F. nightmare please let me know!!
Thanks!! Weas.

Edited by weasel257, July 02, 2011 - 06:57 PM.
Forgot to say thanks!

• n16ht5

Posted July 02, 2011 - 07:56 PM

the hi-perf. almost no skirt pistons in the modern 4 stroke mxers.

the 650l engine is to honda as the 22r is to toyota.

rejetting cools em down and an oil cooler can be added.

exactly why I own two XR's and two 22RE Toyotas :ride:

and two AK-47s :thumbsup:

now I just need two Cessna 140s and I'll be set

I put an oil cooler on my XRL, it runs 150-200, hottest 225 cruising about 75-80 for a few hours

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 03, 2011 - 01:45 PM

My XRL just went through about two months of hell until the very competent dealer finally figured out that the right side valve seat was dropping down and then going back in (talk about making you loose your mind guessing) Is this a common problem?? The dealer is now telling me the head is defective and I'm eating cost!!! Any body who has been through this W.T.F. nightmare please let me know!!
Thanks!! Weas.

What year, how many miles, what mods, how ridden?

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Justinsaneok

Posted July 03, 2011 - 02:25 PM

exactly why I own two XR's and two 22RE Toyotas :ride:

and two AK-47s :ride:

now I just need two Cessna 140s and I'll be set

I put an oil cooler on my XRL, it runs 150-200, hottest 225 cruising about 75-80 for a few hours

You forgot to Glock 17s or Glock 22s !:thumbsup:

• Justinsaneok

Posted July 03, 2011 - 02:31 PM

I love the testaments! Keep them coming. I'm getting a XR650L or I'm going to plate a XR650R. I want to stay true to my dirt roots and am stuck between the two. Still not sure how a 650R would hold up compared to a 650L on the street.

• n16ht5

Posted July 03, 2011 - 07:52 PM

You forgot to Glock 17s or Glock 22s !:thumbsup:

I have a Glock21 and a springfield 9... I am looking for a Glock34 :ride:

• Justinsaneok

Posted July 03, 2011 - 08:22 PM

I have a Glock21 and a springfield 9... I am looking for a Glock34 :thumbsup:

:ride:

• drtlvr

Posted July 04, 2011 - 10:37 AM

xr=bullet proof just ride the bike and don't worry about it they may not be the fastest,but they will also not leave you stranded,and they are simple to work on,can't say that about a fuel injected bike

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.