Is the XR650L really that reliable?

49 replies to this topic
  • Rman of 237

Posted October 18, 2007 - 09:10 AM

The other main reason behind the XR longeviety as compared to the newer 4 strokes is piston rings. As mentioned by cleonard, the newer bikes have very low profile pistons, but they also only have two rings, one compression ring and one oil ring. Most engines built for reliability typically have 3 rings, two compression, one oil. The reason for this is that as the oil viscosity begins to break down, and the rings fail to adequately retain compression, the fuel/air mixture will escape past the rings and be deposited into the engine oil. Over time, this accelerates the breakdown of the oil and eventaully will burn the rings completely. That's why the newer 4-strokes have to have the oil changed so frequently. The XR's came with three rings, larger pistons, and if they are porperly maintained and jetted as stated before, they won't overheat. My XR is a decade and a half old, has only had the oil/filter chaged regularly and has nary a problem, and according to my oil temp guage, the oil sits firmly between 150-200 degrees, even in the 100 degree heat here in Sacramento. If its longevity your looking for, an XR is your answer.

Come on!! 150-200degs?:crazy: My 650 is between 230 and 250degs and the 400 sits right at 200(stock oil cooler). I'll give that I have the 650 running a little lean but I swapped the two dipsticks (XR's Only) just for shits and grins and even with the different probe lengths they read the same.

• martinfan30

Posted October 18, 2007 - 09:24 AM

Come on!! 150-200degs?:crazy: My 650 is between 230 and 250degs and the 400 sits right at 200(stock oil cooler). I'll give that I have the 650 running a little lean but I swapped the two dipsticks (XR's Only) just for shits and grins and even with the different probe lengths they read the same.

ya a little off. i rode in this morn (36 deg. fahrenheit) and it ran 220-230.

• Rman of 237

Posted October 18, 2007 - 12:01 PM

ya a little off. i rode in this morn (36 deg. fahrenheit) and it ran 220-230.

Don't quote me,:bonk: I've still got a couple of months!!:crazy: :D :applause:

• martinfan30

Posted October 18, 2007 - 12:03 PM

Don't quote me,:bonk: I still have a couple of months!!:crazy: :D :applause:

no i meant the other guy!LOL!

• paul246

Posted October 18, 2007 - 01:08 PM

Can someone tell me where I can buy a Jagg cooler for the XR650L? Thanks.

• martinfan30

Posted October 18, 2007 - 01:38 PM

Can someone tell me where I can buy a Jagg cooler for the XR650L? Thanks.

an xr400 cooler can be adapted.

• Rman of 237

Posted October 18, 2007 - 04:47 PM

no i meant the other guy!LOL!

I know :D who you were quoting.HaHa I just wanted to drive in the fact that it ain't gonna be any 36degs around here for a long while!:crazy:

• Rman of 237

Posted October 18, 2007 - 05:26 PM

an xr400 cooler can be adapted.

There's a thread about a guy that put an XR400 oil cooler on a 650 using AN# or MS# (avation parts) but I'm sure it must be a link to another site. Anyone remember where... ??? :crazy: I've searched but I don't find.:D

• jclaus98

Posted October 18, 2007 - 07:44 PM

Come on!! 150-200degs?

No joke, not saying that my gauge can't be off(also XR's only gauge), but it sits right below 200 all the time, if it's very hot and I'm in the tight stuff around Georgetown and have had to lean it out a bit for the elevation, it will jump up to between 2-250, but have honestly never seen it hit the 250 mark, not once.

• Rman of 237

Posted October 18, 2007 - 10:06 PM

You wanna' trade dipsticks:excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted October 19, 2007 - 11:37 AM

There's a thread about a guy that put an XR400 oil cooler on a 650 using AN# or MS# (avation parts) but I'm sure it must be a link to another site. Anyone remember where... ??? :crazy: I've searched but I don't find.:D

here you go...

http://www.4strokes....?TOPIC_ID=22902

• Rman of 237

Posted October 19, 2007 - 11:53 AM

Well I'll be damned!! Thank you Martinfan.:crazy:

• jclaus98

Posted October 25, 2007 - 06:55 PM

I'm sure the people who posted on this topic have long since forgot about it, but I just wanted to let the few guys who called BS on me about my bike running between 150-200 degrees according to the oil temp dipstick: went out to Prairie City today, for those who don't know what that is, its a riding area here in Sacramento, I'm guessing no more than 500ft elevation? Anyway, checked the temp after a solid half hour of riding, the trail tech read 32.4 mph average, with the maximum speed at 82.3mph, the oil temp dipstick was sitting 3 ticks below 200 degrees, a little more than half way between 150 and 200 on my dipstick. It was at that same temp the rest of the day, every time I checked it. I run Royal Purple 10w-40 and the bike has no external oil cooler, only the normal oil throught the head tube oil cooler. It was a very mild day, I think it might have cracked 80 degrees outside, radio station said 83, but I doubt it was that hot out there. Anyway, for the few guys who were trying to call me a liar, like I said, I will gladly trade oil gauges and see if mine is off, but I wasn't lying when I said that's what it reads.

• Rman of 237

Posted October 25, 2007 - 07:51 PM

No ones calling you a liar:bonk: . It just seems like an unrealistic reading. Thats all. Like I said, I've swapped dipsticks between the 400 and the 650 and they both read the same. The 400 reads 200deg and the 650 reads 250degs.:crazy:

• martinfan30

Posted October 25, 2007 - 07:55 PM

I'm sure the people who posted on this topic have long since forgot about it, but I just wanted to let the few guys who called BS on me about my bike running between 150-200 degrees according to the oil temp dipstick: went out to Prairie City today, for those who don't know what that is, its a riding area here in Sacramento, I'm guessing no more than 500ft elevation? Anyway, checked the temp after a solid half hour of riding, the trail tech read 32.4 mph average, with the maximum speed at 82.3mph, the oil temp dipstick was sitting 3 ticks below 200 degrees, a little more than half way between 150 and 200 on my dipstick. It was at that same temp the rest of the day, every time I checked it. I run Royal Purple 10w-40 and the bike has no external oil cooler, only the normal oil throught the head tube oil cooler. It was a very mild day, I think it might have cracked 80 degrees outside, radio station said 83, but I doubt it was that hot out there. Anyway, for the few guys who were trying to call me a liar, like I said, I will gladly trade oil gauges and see if mine is off, but I wasn't lying when I said that's what it reads.

bro, nobody is calling you a liar! it is just uncommon that an L would run that cool. dont take any offense at it. if you are running that cool, share your secret!LOL! maybe its the Royal purple, ive heard alot of good about that oil. is it worth it? if it makes an L run that cool, i'm buying some tommorrow!:crazy:

• jclaus98

Posted October 25, 2007 - 08:40 PM

Sweet, I just wanted to clear my name! :crazy: Anyway, don't know if it makes any difference, but I ride an 600R, you guys keep saying an L, just want to clear that up, pretty sure they're physically the same engine, with the obvious exceptions. In regard to the Royal Purple, I swear by the stuff. I use it in everything I can, it's in the rear end of my truck, in the t-case and trans, the only thing I don't use it in is the engine only because engine oil needs to be changed every 3000 miles and at $9 a quart, it ain't cheap and I ain't made of money, not even close. But, since the bike only takes 2 quarts, it's the only thing I will use. Can't say whether that alone makes it run that cool, but I'm positive it has large part in it. The bike runs so much smoother with it, it lasts longer, and using the "seat of the pants" dyno meter, increases the ponies. May not be by much, but I FEEL the difference, could all be in my head, trying to justify $9 a quart, but it is EXCEPTIONAL oil, without a doubt. Just MHO.

• martinfan30

Posted October 25, 2007 - 08:46 PM

sorry , i get stuck on the L moniker. what weight oil is the royal purple? look out, i see an oil thread starting!lol

• stepho

Posted October 25, 2007 - 09:44 PM

Cam timing has a lot to do with the oil temp. When I got rid of the stock cam gear and put a slotted one on I was suprised at how far off my cam was the exhaust was in the 117 range stock. The oil temp with a oil cooler was at 205 in so cal all august. when i dialed the cam in 104 intake 106 exhaust my temp went up 15 to 20 degrees. About that oil, redline 20/50 is good if you dont want to spend 40 dollars on an oil change moblie one works great too.

• rangerman

Posted October 25, 2007 - 11:23 PM

xr's are very reliable. Just look at older ones. My 87 is still running with all stock components. A similar 2-stroke bike....rebuilt 10 times. I am using Honda motorcycle synthetic oil. It was like $12 a quart. It works o.k, just more money than Royal Purple, I think I am going to switch

• Motosprtman

Posted October 26, 2007 - 07:13 AM

my 05 650L (uncorked of course) shows 150-200 here in Washington and that was in 60ish weather on the highway. Hottest I ever saw it was 300 on a day in June when it was in the 80's and I was in stop and go traffic. Mostly hangs around 200ish...low side, and btw when I put my stock pipe back on for awhile the temp went up! and performance went down. That is why I removed the stock pipe (again) and went to the FMF Q2, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.