2007 XR650L - Best Bars, Slip-on, Handguards?.?.?

14 replies to this topic
  • BeeDub

Posted October 16, 2007 - 12:19 PM

Okay guys, I'm making a list, and checking it twice! I'm pretty sure about a lot of the things I've decided on already for mods to my new bike, but I'm having trouble deciding on the following:

Slip-on: Currently seriously considering the quiet core SuperTrapp IDS2, any thoughts?

Bars: Really have no clue which are best of the big names, I'm 5'10", 175, and ride a lot of SoCal desert

Handguards: Currently thinking about the Acerbis Rally Pro, any thoughts?

I want whatever I do to bolt up fairly easy, I can't weld, and I'm not looking to buy a bunch extra just to make something work...

• martinfan30

Posted October 16, 2007 - 12:41 PM

Okay guys, I'm making a list, and checking it twice! I'm pretty sure about a lot of the things I've decided on already for mods to my new bike, but I'm having trouble deciding on the following:

Slip-on: Currently seriously considering the quiet core SuperTrapp IDS2, any thoughts?

Bars: Really have no clue which are best of the big names, I'm 5'10", 175, and ride a lot of SoCal desert

Handguards: Currently thinking about the Acerbis Rally Pro, any thoughts?

I want whatever I do to bolt up fairly easy, I can't weld, and I'm not looking to buy a bunch extra just to make something work...

i like my e2 slipon. though i would get staintune's full system next time.

i use stock bars with 2" piovting risers, very nice for standing now.

handguards are stock.

• BeeDub

Posted October 16, 2007 - 12:58 PM

Thanks Martinfan. I've heard the Supertrapp is good for power/quiet, and I am riding a lot of street as well. I also like that you can adjust it for your needs, sound, power, etc. This is all crap I'm reading online though, so I'm just looking for assurance...

Bars, I'd like to get an aftermarket set-up, but just don't know what are best for desert. Someone in another thread mentioned Renthal Vintage Desert Bends, but I didn't find them on the Renthal site. I'd also like to be able to put a stabilizer on eventually (when i can afford it).

Handguards, I want something sleek, and functional, with rigidity, so a protective rod is going to be better than the flags that came on it, just not sure if I'm thinking of the best one out there.

• jonr3

Posted October 17, 2007 - 03:57 AM

Bars, I'd like to get an aftermarket set-up, but just don't know what are best for desert. Someone in another thread mentioned Renthal Vintage Desert Bends, but I didn't find them on the Renthal site. I'd also like to be able to put a stabilizer on eventually (when i can afford it).

I bought my bars through Scotts Performance. Since I eventually want to add one of their steering dampers, they offer some custom designed Renthal bars that will have room for the damper (the cross bar has a slight bend in it). I went with the CR high bends which have about the same sweep and bend as stock except about 1/2" taller which makes it easier when standing (I'm 5' 10"). They are also much stronger than stock.

I love my Pro Circuit T-4 exhaust except it is pretty loud.

• COAL RUN

Posted October 17, 2007 - 05:35 AM

I like the pro taper bars ,but they do require adapters as they are 1 1/8" dia.as for the bend "CR high"
For hand gaurds I would suggest cyra they are nice looking & very tough ( i have the Acerbis rally now). As for the exaust I relly like my white bros. E2.
I have heard the IDS gained very little in the way of performance

• gearloos

Posted October 17, 2007 - 06:46 AM

After reading this whole thread on Faast Flex bars, I'm sold.
You might want to consider them as well but they are pricey...
Heres the review thread.
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=258636

• heavyhitter

Posted October 17, 2007 - 07:39 AM

I went with some TAG bars mainly because there is a seller that sells them on Ebay new with bar pad grips and grip glue for $45 shipped. Buying that seperately would be over $100. They are great quality too. I run a FMF Q2, I got a smokin deal from Bike Bandit. It I got it for $260 which is $100+ less than most popel charge for this pipe. Thier prices have since gone up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted October 17, 2007 - 10:32 AM

I would go to a shop and check out some bars so you can get a feel for the bend, wether you like alot of bend or straighter bars, my choice is 1 1/8 pro taper style as there very strong. I know i asked before but im old what area u in and where do you ride im up in the high desert?

• gearloos

Posted October 17, 2007 - 04:19 PM

You ever ride El Mirage Denn10?
I'm headed up there next weekend. I have friends in Llano and I used to live in Wrightwood

• BeeDub

Posted October 18, 2007 - 07:01 AM

Thanks guys, and sorry I haven't responded, I'm checking intently on this thread, I've just gotten really busy at work, and I'm going on vacation next week. I hope to see some more opinions on this stuff!

• martinfan30

Posted October 18, 2007 - 07:11 AM

i WANT!

http://www.staintune... XR650R & L.htm

• COAL RUN

Posted October 18, 2007 - 08:16 AM

martinfan30 have you price that exaust? they look great

• martinfan30

Posted October 18, 2007 - 12:29 PM

martinfan30 have you price that exaust? they look great

ive got a call into my local adventure rider store. it is high end stuff, never needs repacking cuz there is no packing!

• bongodave

Posted October 18, 2007 - 01:21 PM

i WANT!

http://www.staintune... XR650R & L.htm

I know, the Staintunes are gorgeous, huh? The best price I've found is from helmet head cycle. 808.18 out the door for the full system for the xr650l. Expensive, but they look SO good!

• wharbio

Posted October 23, 2007 - 03:10 AM

Go for UFO handguards, On par with the ACERBIS jobs, look great and allow for excellent lever movement. No mods required.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.