'93 XR650L vs. '04 KLR250 ???

10 replies to this topic
  • tgstoken

Posted October 16, 2007 - 10:05 AM

Here is my current dilema. I have a 2004 KLR250 that just doesnt have the balls to propel me at acceptable speeds, either street or trail. I have been looking to upgrade for a while now and a 1993 XR650L has just presented itsef. The only prob with the XR is the 20k mileage, mostly street. The asking price for the XR is only $1300. So, on to my question. How will the XR compare to the KLR250 on the street and on the trails? I understand that the XR is heavier, though not by as much as I would have thought. Also how is the balance of the XR compared to the "all the heavy things up top" balance of the little KLR. I do like the idea of having the "magic button" and I also like the idea of having a Honda again, as I used to have a '92 XR250 that just always worked perfectly.

Anyway, input would be a great help, as I am stumped, having not ridden a XR650L before.

• Motosprtman

Posted October 16, 2007 - 10:18 AM

IF properly maintained, 20K is nothing on an XR650 or XL600, you will wonder how you ever got along without one, however they are indeed heavy.

• martinfan30

Posted October 16, 2007 - 10:43 AM

great bike, will do very well on/off road. does it smoke?

• tgstoken

Posted October 16, 2007 - 11:25 AM

does it smoke

Not sure of it's mechanical condition yet, as I have not seen it run. I will look for any smoke, oil leaks and I will listen for any odd noises. I own a KLR, I know all about odd noises...:crazy:

Owner says that it runs great and pulls hard with gobs of torque.

• shrubitup

Posted October 16, 2007 - 01:03 PM

http://picasaweb.goo...ntopofit/XR650L

:D :crazy: :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted October 16, 2007 - 01:22 PM

looks good for 20 k miles and for 1300, not bad. put a top end into it if needs and you're good.

• Denn10

Posted October 17, 2007 - 10:36 AM

id upgrade to the big power xr as long as its mechanically sound

• tgstoken

Posted October 17, 2007 - 03:29 PM

does it smoke?

I contacted the seller and he informed me that it smokes for about 5 minutes when first started, but after the warm-up, it doesnt smoke. What does this mean exactly? Is it a bad thing? My '04 KLR250 has a little gray/blue smoke upon starting and it runs great.

• martinfan30

Posted October 18, 2007 - 06:54 AM

I contacted the seller and he informed me that it smokes for about 5 minutes when first started, but after the warm-up, it doesnt smoke. What does this mean exactly? Is it a bad thing? My '04 KLR250 has a little gray/blue smoke upon starting and it runs great.

valve guide seals. not a huge issue, if you can handle a wrench Ok.

just think of it as auto-oil prime for cold starts!LOL

• tgstoken

Posted October 18, 2007 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to go look at it Saturday and take it for a test ride.

if you can handle a wrench Ok.

I should be alright doing my own mechanic work, as I just personally replaced the valves and top end gaskets in my KLR250 because the previous owners NEVER did a valve adjustment. The intake valves were recessed so far into the head that they were about to pull through. If I can do a top end rebuild on a KLR, I should be able to handle a Honda.:crazy:

• martinfan30

Posted October 18, 2007 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to go look at it Saturday and take it for a test ride.

I should be alright doing my own mechanic work, as I just personally replaced the valves and top end gaskets in my KLR250 because the previous owners NEVER did a valve adjustment. The intake valves were recessed so far into the head that they were about to pull through. If I can do a top end rebuild on a KLR, I should be able to handle a Honda.:crazy:

oh yeah! if you want to do it without taking the cyl head off, get a hose with a spark plug end on it and hook up compressed air to it to keep the valves closed. then remove the keepers,springs and repl. the seals.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.