Xr650l Gear Selector Shaft Replacement

6 replies to this topic
  • mystubby

Posted October 16, 2007 - 04:31 AM

Can any body please tell me if there is an easy way to replace my broken gear selector shaft on my 2005 XR650L? Can it be done without pulling the engine completely down?

• martinfan30

Posted October 16, 2007 - 07:31 AM

Can any body please tell me if there is an easy way to replace my broken gear selector shaft on my 2005 XR650L? Can it be done without pulling the engine completely down?

no, sorry. time to split the case.

• machman

Posted October 18, 2007 - 12:38 PM

Yup, sorry to hear this, but you are into a full teardown.

Faced with a similar situation that I'm still in, I would suggest you open your wallet, do some research, and turn your XRL into a 50HP beast.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeky

Posted October 18, 2007 - 12:45 PM

:crazy: The cases :D have to be :applause: split :bonk: .

• martinfan30

Posted October 18, 2007 - 01:39 PM

Yup, sorry to hear this, but you are into a full teardown.

Faced with a similar situation that I'm still in, I would suggest you open your wallet, do some research, and turn your XRL into a 50HP beast.

ya in a sick kinda way i almost hope something happens to mine so i can justify to wife that i need to build a 50 plus hp xrl!

• machman

Posted October 22, 2007 - 01:54 PM

I just split my case last night. It's not that bad. I strongly suggest you get the proper tools though. You'll need a 27mm socket, a 30 or 30mm socket, a case seperator, a clutch basket holder, and a flywheel puller. I got mine on ebay for $100.

• mystubby

Posted October 27, 2007 - 04:34 AM

Thanks for all the bad news, I had my local Honda service agent quote me $1000 to do the job, $800 labor and $200 parts ($80 per hour!), Do your US bike mechanics charge that much? I promptly picked the bike back up to do the job myself. I have since stripped the engine down, and replaced the broken shift shaft ($77 Aust.). I have also taken your advise to add a few more HP while Ive got it in pieces. I have purchased a wiseco piston (10.25-1) kit, and a hotcams stage 1 cam. I am also planning on sending the head out to be ported and polished? Is there anything else i should be considering while its in bits? Oh, the other thing i know I want to add is a stainless header pipe (I already have a white bros. E2 pipe), Which make header should I go with?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.