very interesting info...

21 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted October 15, 2007 - 08:26 PM

i found this page to be intersting just poking around a bit.

http://www.thumperpa.../gb-500faq.html

• cleonard

Posted October 15, 2007 - 09:45 PM

The GB500 is very rare. I've only ever seen one.

• zrxer

Posted October 16, 2007 - 05:44 AM

This one belongs to Geoff Beach owner of oldrice.com.Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted October 16, 2007 - 07:12 AM

very sweet ride. were they not sold here?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted October 16, 2007 - 07:33 AM

I remember seeing them at a dealer in the '80s.

Dave

• big fo

Posted October 16, 2007 - 08:22 AM

I have one of these rare bikes. Bought new 1990, only 5k on the odometer. Uncorked, desmogged and white brothers exhaust. Gets 60 mpg and runs top end 110 mph. Has little low end torque but has awsome top end pull in the higher rpm's. I bought it as a collector item so I only ride it now on special occasions. Just purchased a 96 xr650l cause I luv thumpers!

• martinfan30

Posted October 16, 2007 - 08:38 AM

I have one of these rare bikes. Bought new 1990, only 5k on the odometer. Uncorked, desmogged and white brothers exhaust. Gets 60 mpg and runs top end 110 mph. Has little low end torque but has awsome top end pull in the higher rpm's. I bought it as a collector item so I only ride it now on special occasions. Just purchased a 96 xr650l cause I luv thumpers!

what yrs made?

• cleonard

Posted October 16, 2007 - 08:44 AM

what yrs made?

Imported into the US for 89 and 90 only.

• ThunderChicken

Posted October 16, 2007 - 10:21 AM

Same years they brought in the Transalp. Probably the last "risk taking" years for Honda prior to the ushering in of the assloaf cruiser fad era...

• bongodave

Posted October 16, 2007 - 06:34 PM

I had an '88 NX 650. Sweet bike. Selling it was the worst mistake of my life.
The transalp, GB and NX series didn't go over here in the states. Too bad. Honda was way ahead of all the motard and adventure bike stuff going on now. These bikes are still popular in Europe and other countries. We just didn't know what to do with a dual sport with a fairing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sipes77

Posted October 16, 2007 - 06:52 PM

Posted Image

I know it's a different bike totally, but the Honda 919 is what I thought of when I saw the picture of the other bike in this post.

• Old Dog

Posted October 16, 2007 - 07:18 PM

Wow, that GB500 looks very similar to the old Norton Thumpers.

If I didn't know better, I'd say it was Honda's attempt at a rip off of one. :D

Nice bike, all the same.:crazy:

• exaresix

Posted October 16, 2007 - 08:30 PM

There's one for sale on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

• zrxer

Posted October 17, 2007 - 05:56 AM

GB. Great Britain. Coincidence? Hmmmm......

• ThunderChicken

Posted October 18, 2007 - 08:15 AM

I'd rather see Honda attempting to rip off Norton then rip off Harley...

I really wish they would rip off KTM.

• ThunderChicken

Posted October 18, 2007 - 08:16 AM

I had an '88 NX 650. Sweet bike. Selling it was the worst mistake of my life.
The transalp, GB and NX series didn't go over here in the states. Too bad. Honda was way ahead of all the motard and adventure bike stuff going on now. These bikes are still popular in Europe and other countries. We just didn't know what to do with a dual sport with a fairing.

Golf Clap for the NX. :crazy:

They are still around you know. Every now and then one shows up on Craig's List.

• kl3ver1

Posted August 02, 2008 - 01:50 PM

I bought one of these yesterday, because of some complex scheduling and Friday trafic in bay area roads I could not take my pick up truck, so I had to ride it home right after paying for it. The fact that I absolutely love the look of this bike may have tainted my vision, but I have to tell you guys it was a very sweet ride! People looking at it at stop lights, even a couple of girls on a car waved at me :ride:

It came with a Kerker exhaust so it has a nice tone to it, everything else seems stock. I'm no longer used to it but I had to use four fingers on the front break to slow her down.

I'm the 4th owner and she has 21k miles. I don't think I will ever sell this bike.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 03, 2008 - 05:33 PM

Sweet!

Dave

• martinfan30

Posted August 03, 2008 - 05:35 PM

I bought one of these yesterday, because of some complex scheduling and Friday trafic in bay area roads I could not take my pick up truck, so I had to ride it home right after paying for it. The fact that I absolutely love the look of this bike may have tainted my vision, but I have to tell you guys it was a very sweet ride! People looking at it at stop lights, even a couple of girls on a car waved at me ;)

It came with a Kerker exhaust so it has a nice tone to it, everything else seems stock. I'm no longer used to it but I had to use four fingers on the front break to slow her down.

I'm the 4th owner and she has 21k miles. I don't think I will ever sell this bike.

Please post pics!:ride:

• kl3ver1

Posted September 01, 2008 - 01:20 PM

Sorry for the delay on posting the pics, taken today near by the HWY 92 bridge at around 1pm.

go here for the whole set. I still have to take some detailed pictures of the machine but this is the first set :thumbsup:

Today I changed the oil and filter at 21,800m. on the odo. I need to clean/service the caliper and replace the front rotor. I will do some suspension work after that.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.