Broken 5th Metacarpal

5 replies to this topic
  • luckyguy19

Posted October 15, 2007 - 07:25 PM

I lost my rythm in the rythm section this past weekend, went over the bars. Went to Urgent care and found that I broke my 5th metacarpal, right where it meets the carpals. It is not displaced, didn't even look to be broken all the way through, but I've never really looked at an Xray before. For now they put me in a removable brace, I have an appointment at the hand clinic tommorrow. I can still move my pinky, just not all the way closed because of the swelling. How long can I expect to be out of riding? This is such a beautiful time of year to ride and I can't wait to get back out again. Thanks for the help!!!

• DrMark

Posted October 16, 2007 - 04:56 AM

post the X-ray.

• bcs

Posted October 16, 2007 - 05:17 AM

I broke the same bone last year. the hand clinic just made a plastic splint (the kind they form to your hand) that was held on with velcro. It was long enough to stabilize the wrist and fingers. Nice, 'cause you can take it off and wash. After about 4 weeks, they cut down the splint some. After about 8 or 9 weeks it was off. I didn't ride for another weeks cause I figured, why push it and bust it again?
Good luck, be patient, you'll be riding soon enough!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Racer808

Posted October 16, 2007 - 08:38 AM

I broke two carpol bones in April, the scaphoid and the triquetrum. It hurt for about three weeks, but couldnt ride without pain for 6 weeks. I did ride the 5th week with a lot of aleve in me and a wrist guard, but didnt hit jumps or anything.

• luckyguy19

Posted October 16, 2007 - 11:01 AM

they wouldn't give me a copy of the x-ray, said I had to go to another building, but I had to go back to work. They put a cast on for 4 weeks, then said I couldn't ride for another 2-4 weeks after that. Its gonna be a long fall.

• AB-929

Posted October 28, 2007 - 04:05 PM

i broke my right one last year, was a decent fracture, the doc said i would be about 4-6 weeks, i came home took some meds and the swelling was down after about 4 or 5 days, i broke it around the first of august i think and was riding by around the 20th, keep moving it and you should be ok, this all depends on how bad the fracture is and where tho

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Seriously considering 12 months off dirt bikes by ScootMcGoot

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

CRF250L- 1, Dog- 0 by razorbill

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • 4 replies
Wiki
No More Blistered Hands! - last post by mxwink509

No More Blistered Hands!

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Mx training besides running by Ride_blue82

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   MX Riding Technique
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Stuck WFO by DirtRider500R

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  53 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.