450 on ice

15 replies to this topic
  • uofm

Posted October 15, 2007 - 04:55 PM

I have an 04 wr450 and would like to set it up for the ice. Give me all your idea's to make this thing rip. Thank's.

• tmckeown

Posted October 15, 2007 - 10:43 PM

Now it would be nice to know what you mean with ice? We do Iceroadracing here and most of people just lower them down to get weight down. I also recommend steering damper.

Timo McKeown

• 89TRX350RX

Posted October 15, 2007 - 11:13 PM

I would look for a good set of CMRC "Canadian" studded tires, possibly lower the tubes in the clamps, and try to get the rear lower. The AMA legal studs suck compared to the Cnadian ones. AMA=1/8 to 3/16" head height, while CMRC=1/4-3/8" head height, which makes it great on "dirty" ice.

Here is a pic of mine

They have 2 streetbike tire liners (to anchor the studs)as well as long wood screws with washers to hold the side knobs from rolling over. The tires have also been "profiled" (shaved on the lefthand side)to allow for easier transition from straight to turn.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I may be able to hook you up if your interested...

Jamie

• uofm

Posted October 16, 2007 - 04:33 PM

How much for a set of tire's like that? Both front and back.

• Hollywood

Posted October 16, 2007 - 04:58 PM

I can make a set for ~$750. You supply the box of bolts, the tires and the 12 pack. I'll supply allll of the knowledge, drill and razor knife.

• ETP

Posted October 17, 2007 - 05:30 AM

Do a forum search for a member named "Frostbite". He's way up in Canada and has posted lots of info on snow and ice riding. Mods, pics, etc.

• 89TRX350RX

Posted October 17, 2007 - 11:55 AM

The ones I would have access to are slightly used by some guys that race a circuit here in Canada. I can't remember price, but if you are interested, I can try to hook you up. I'm thinking under $500/set, includes tire/liner(s) and studs, but I can't be sure... Let me know. I live in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, and our local Clay Kart track gets flooded for some ice racing on 3-4 weekends a winter. It is located approx 10 minutes from Sault Saint Marie, Michigan.

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 18, 2007 - 11:07 AM

I have an 04 wr450 and would like to set it up for the ice. Give me all your idea's to make this thing rip. Thank's.

Are you looking to race it or just get it out for some winter rides?

The more serious you are the more you need a serious solution. Like these.

http://winterstuds.c...Category_Code=T

However, if you are just going out for some casual rides, you may be able to get away with buying your own box of screws (Price=?) and screwing them into your existing tires. Not the best solution, but would work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tmckeown

Posted October 19, 2007 - 01:50 AM

http://www.bikepics....ctures/1059991/ this kind of tires we use in iceroadracing

Timo McKeown

• chrispy1202

Posted October 19, 2007 - 02:59 PM

If you want to rip around on the ice as well as some trails, you can use the drill and tap screws. the screw tips are hardend so they wear very well.You use the hardest compound tire that's cheap and drill each knob with a pilot hole in the center from the outside in and then use a #10 drill and tap screw from the inside out. 1-1/4" screws on the front and 1-3/4" on the rear. Check the clearance to the swing arm. They look scarey! Then put a couple layers of duct tape over the (Robertson heads) inside of the tire. It is nutty how much fun you can have out in a field with 10" plus snow covering it. They stick like glue on the ice as well. And, since i don't ice race, they don't cost a ton of cash. I used mine for a 30 plus days last winter and loved it. They wear very well. The proper screw and street bike liner setup is better for ice racing, but the tire is screwed if you try to ride anywhere else but on a lake or oval. No dirt or rocks with those. To each their own! Everyone should have a set!
Cheers

• justanotherider

Posted October 23, 2007 - 08:04 PM

chrispy:

You refer to "drill and tap screws" for ice riding. I've never heard of them. Can you provide a photo, brand name, link, or some other way that I can get a better idea of the technology to which you refer?

justanotherider

• chrispy1202

Posted November 10, 2007 - 02:48 AM

I will try to send a picture of my wheels and the type of screws that i used.
Cheers
Chris

• beezer

Posted November 10, 2007 - 05:10 AM

I got talked into buying ice tires by some buddies and had blast last winter.

The way to go is to buy a set of wheels on eBay and then have tires done. The tires are an emmer effer to mount.

BTW make sure you get tire wraps and NEVER use the tires any where but ice. The tires need sharp edges to get traction and just rolling across pavement or cement will ruin them.

The amount of traction on ice is unreal.

• Frostbite

Posted November 25, 2007 - 08:11 AM

I run carbide tipped snowmobile studs. They don't provide as good traction as the CMRC tires on clean ice, but they last. I've had mine for years and run them over rocks, gravel, whatever.
if you're racing you'll need the CMRC type, and the studs must be protected from everything except ice, but for long lasting fun, you can't beat the sled studs.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Asgeir

Posted November 25, 2007 - 03:00 PM

Do not forget the tether kill switch. Or you can have a meat grinder looking for flesh when you fall.

• RSWR450F

Posted November 28, 2007 - 12:58 PM

Original Ice Tyre TRELLEBORG:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.rsracing.cz/06-01-15/

Rosta WR

www.rsracing.cz

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.