2008 yz450 with Yoshimura RS-2

8 replies to this topic
  • Racer808

Posted October 15, 2007 - 11:04 AM

Okay, so Saturday I finally got to ride my new toy with the after market exhaust. Firstly, bone stock I was not happy, but after they corrected the jetting I liked the bike with the stock exhaust. It pulled fine and and had a very smoothe power delivery. However, with the Yoshimura pipe I put on, all I can say is THIS BIKE RIPS!!! I was disappointed when after I ordered the pipe I found that yosh mostly delivers mid and top rev and not so much on the bottom. But after I installed it and rode it, it really opened up the bottom and gave me lots more mid and top. I dont know if I am riding in the rev limiter or what, but I do seem to be getting some sputtering at high RPM's, trying to find out how to fix that as I type this. Nothing that I think the bike is gonna throw off a face of jump, but it sputters. Not sure what more to say other then it just rips! I can ride longer thanks to the 08 suspension and now I can go faster, charge out of corners faster and I love the sound of the pipe. Typically I am a come in fast to a corner, lock the back break downshit to second and charge out, but now I am just hitting the corners in third and still have lots of power coming out of them. It could be that I am getting better at corners finally, but its probably the bike.

for anyone that wants a 08 yz450 and are put off the bad press it has gotten, just get after market exhaust and you will love the bike!! I cannot wait to ride again this weekend, hopefully all the rain we have gotten drys up by then.

• grayracer513

Posted October 15, 2007 - 11:26 AM

The rev limiter is characterized by the bike suddenly shutting off completely. As soon as it drops off 2-300 rpm, it turns back on again, then back off, and so on in a very regular manner. It's not at all like a misfire, which will typically be quite irregular.

• stroker101

Posted October 15, 2007 - 11:26 AM

if it's sputtering, the jetting is most likely off. you may need to richen it up a tad

• Racer808

Posted October 15, 2007 - 11:57 AM

Yeah, the shop I bought it from said they would fix the jetting for free if I bought in, but I dont think they have enough room to rev it out to see what I am talking about. I tried messing with the fuel screw but I was making 1/4 turns, should have just turned it out more and then tried it out. Well see this weekend how it goes, my friend is a great mechanic so if decides to ride he will dial it in for me. It is not shutting off so its not the rev limiter. Hopefully we can get it dialed in this weekend. It rips, i am SOOOOO happy with my bike right now, cant wait to go throw some roost!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • todds924

Posted October 15, 2007 - 12:06 PM

Yeah, the shop I bought it from said they would fix the jetting for free if I bought in, but I dont think they have enough room to rev it out to see what I am talking about. I tried messing with the fuel screw but I was making 1/4 turns, should have just turned it out more and then tried it out. Well see this weekend how it goes, my friend is a great mechanic so if decides to ride he will dial it in for me. It is not shutting off so its not the rev limiter. Hopefully we can get it dialed in this weekend. It rips, i am SOOOOO happy with my bike right now, cant wait to go throw some roost!!!

On my 08 with a pro circuit Ti-4 pipe, I only had to go to a 165 main jet instead of the stock 160. 2 turns on the fuel screw and it's perfect. Everything else stock.

• deucemx22

Posted October 15, 2007 - 06:18 PM

Did you go with the full Yosh system or just the silencer? I just got an 08 a couple weeks ago and i love it. I am starting to want more power though. Im also a big fan of that deep 4-stroke rumble. How does yours sound?

• Racer808

Posted October 15, 2007 - 07:27 PM

It sounds great, loud, rumbly, mean and nasty. I got the full yosh RS-2 alum / stainless steel. Dr. D is a good pipe as well. My yosh came with the spark arrestor / silencer cone which really quieted it up, but I took it out and its pretty loud and the bike just hits now! White Bros has developed a new pipe specifically for the 08, but i think its going to be another month. I ordered that but got tired of waiting so I cancelled and got the Yosh. how you liking your 08 otherwise? I liked it stock, espeically turning, but the pipe made a huge difference, you will be grinning ear to ear when you put a pipe on and get your jetting dialed in.

• deucemx22

Posted October 15, 2007 - 08:44 PM

I love the 08. Its my first 4-stroke bike. I have an 06 YFZ 450 quad and love it. I sold my CR250 and got the YZ450. Awesome bike. The powerband is super easy to use, and it handles great. I dont have to fight the bike all the time and im not shifting gears every 5 seconds like i did on the 2-strokes. It also feels really light in the air too. By far the best purchase i have ever made. MXA should be slapped for the review they gave this bike!!!

• Racer808

Posted October 16, 2007 - 07:30 AM

Yeah you will love after market exhaust then!! It really makes the bike come alive. Way more bottom pull out of corners, you can over rev. I went to a 50T rear sproket and that has helped alot as well, but with the stock exhaust I found myself shifting a lot, with the new pipe I am not shifting so much. I am not so good at corners, but getting better, but it prevents me from being able to use 4th gear a lot. I am a ride high in thrid kind of guy for now, but getting faster everytime I go out. I ride with some incredible riders that really help me get faster as well, plus they put me down if I dont push it so to ward off their insults I really let it hang out. I wsh I knew the secrets to get faster quick like, cause I just dont get how some guys fly down the track so damn fast. I am a end of the pack C rider, but I have been racing open beginner and getting middle of the pack results there.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.