06 stock suspension question?

4 replies to this topic
  • tw557

Posted October 15, 2007 - 08:25 AM

How many of you guys are running stock suspension on your 06 YZ450F? I had an 03 with just the forks by RG3 and didn't feel too good. I had a 05 with TBT forks and shock which worked pretty good. They I got this used 06 completely stock with out the fluids changed for 40 hours and I think It feels the best so far. But you only know how good something is in comparison to something else. I would hate to spend $500 buck for no better or mabe even worse. I run in the front of Vet c and just want a smooth suspension to not where me out.

• todds924

Posted October 15, 2007 - 09:46 AM

How many of you guys are running stock suspension on your 06 YZ450F? I had an 03 with just the forks by RG3 and didn't feel too good. I had a 05 with TBT forks and shock which worked pretty good. They I got this used 06 completely stock with out the fluids changed for 40 hours and I think It feels the best so far. But you only know how good something is in comparison to something else. I would hate to spend $500 buck for no better or mabe even worse. I run in the front of Vet c and just want a smooth suspension to not where me out.

Stock suspension on the 06 is excellent stock. The only thing i changed on my 06 was heavier springs for my weight. I think all you need is to leave the stock valving and just make sure you have the correct springs for your weight. I have also rode my 06 with another set of forks and shock that was revalved. I hated it. It felt like all the damping was taken out so it would just "blow through" the stroke. My opinion: stock valving with springs for your weight. I like to have 4 inches of race sag <102 mm> With one inch of free sag.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bboyce

Posted October 15, 2007 - 11:56 AM

Man, its a crap shoot. If you are happy with it, why mess with a good thing.

Some will go out and spend hundreds of dollors at a reputable place and hate it while others will swear by it.

Personably, being one who got it ravalved and resprung front and rear, I was not happy my first time, and I had it done again for free and it is better, much stiffer valving then stock. Depending on your skill level, I would say stock valving is perfect for the average rider, just get proper springs. If you are a true B class rider or higher, then you do need a revalve.

The way I see it now is that stock valving gives a good base for eveything while not being excellant at anything. I wanted it more plush first time around and lost all bottoming reisitance. So I wanted that bottoming resistance, and I love how I can slam things, but I have lost most mid-plushness.

• tw557

Posted October 15, 2007 - 12:33 PM

Thanks for the input. I weight 180 so I am pretty happy with the stock springs. I am really just the average rider honestly. I am mostly worried about it getting worse after a revalve. I definately do not hit braking bumps like the A and fast B riders. Also I run Fasst flex bars which I wondered if it masked any suspension issues.

• bboyce

Posted October 16, 2007 - 12:18 PM

I say, leave it alone, if anything just rebuild them, which is very very simple to do and to get small adjustments, but adjustments none the less, change oil weight or height.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.