WR450 Top End Rebuild - When?

8 replies to this topic
  • story_rtw

Posted October 15, 2007 - 08:21 AM

My '05 WR450 has about 140 hours and 3,400 miles. It runs flawlessly - doesn't burn any oil and the valves haven't needed adjusting since it was new. It's used for trail riding and the occasional Colorado 500.

I've read in lots of places (including some posts here) that these high performance 4-strokes need a new top end at around 100 hours. I wonder if that's really necessary or if rebuilding at 100 hours is for race bikes only.

I never had to do a top end in my XR, even with 100s of hours and 6,000+ miles. However, I realize that the WR is a much higher performance machine than the XR, with higher maintenance requirements. I don't want to neglect required maintenance but I also don't want to tear into it needlessly.

What do you experts think? When do I need to rebuild the top end of my bike? How many hours do you go before a new top end? Do you rebuild based strictly on operating hours or do you rebuild when you notice symptoms like excess oil usage, etc?

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Just trying to plan my winter maintenance :crazy:

Thanks.

Story

• candyman

Posted October 15, 2007 - 09:35 AM

Change the oil and just keep riding it. There have been people with over 12,000 miles on these motors without a rebuild. I friends that ride Yamahas and haven't touched them. I also have friends with the other brand that it seems like thats all they do.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 15, 2007 - 12:52 PM

i would agree...unless you race the piss out of the bike just change the oil and clean the air filter and check the valves once in a while....i have an 06 with 4000 miles on (hit it this weekend!) and all i do is change the oil every 300 miles and clean the air filter....i checked the valves after 3000 miles. starts first kick all the time.

• twofiftygp

Posted October 15, 2007 - 02:37 PM

What does the manual suggest? I found with street bikes, a rebuild was something the 8th or 9th owner had to deal with, but when racing, we would rebuild the top end every 3 weekends and bottom every season. I would say it depends on how you use it. So roll the dice....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted October 15, 2007 - 03:46 PM

My '05 WR450 has about 140 hours and 3,400 miles. It runs flawlessly - doesn't burn any oil and the valves haven't needed adjusting since it was new. It's used for trail riding and the occasional Colorado 500.

I've read in lots of places (including some posts here) that these high performance 4-strokes need a new top end at around 100 hours. I wonder if that's really necessary or if rebuilding at 100 hours is for race bikes only.

I never had to do a top end in my XR, even with 100s of hours and 6,000+ miles. However, I realize that the WR is a much higher performance machine than the XR, with higher maintenance requirements. I don't want to neglect required maintenance but I also don't want to tear into it needlessly.

What do you experts think? When do I need to rebuild the top end of my bike? How many hours do you go before a new top end? Do you rebuild based strictly on operating hours or do you rebuild when you notice symptoms like excess oil usage, etc?

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Just trying to plan my winter maintenance :crazy:

Thanks.

Story

Its just getting broken in :D

• ccoates445

Posted October 15, 2007 - 09:35 PM

+5. Regular maintenance, use a top quality oil and try your best not to overheat too often. She will reward you with many years of reliable service.:crazy:

• tmckeown

Posted October 15, 2007 - 10:40 PM

I rebuild mine first time at 120 hrs, but there was no signs of trouble what so ever. Next one will be when it is used 200hrs so it clocks 320hrs. As long as you take good care of it, there should be no trouble.

Timo McKeown

• story_rtw

Posted October 16, 2007 - 07:11 AM

Thanks guys!

I change the oil every 200-300 miles with BelRay Semi-synth and clean the air filter regularly.

Sounds like as long as I keep taking good care of her I can go a while longer before a rebuild.

Thanks.

Story

• tp3dxf

Posted October 20, 2007 - 03:06 AM

Thanks guys!

I change the oil every 200-300 miles with BelRay Semi-synth and clean the air filter regularly.

Sounds like as long as I keep taking good care of her I can go a while longer before a rebuild.

Thanks.

Story

You should be good for a while. Keep doing what your doing with the regular maintenance and maybe think about it again at 300 hours. Yamaha really got it right with these WR motors.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.