You just can't buy quality time like this! XL600R

15 replies to this topic
  • Timmerz

Posted October 14, 2007 - 09:41 PM

My Grandson and I spent the entire afternoon today chasing each other around at Carnegie, here in Northern California. Weather was gorgeous, bikes were excellent, some great bonding took place!
Posted Image

• Motosprtman

Posted October 15, 2007 - 05:06 AM

That's what it is all about!

• martinfan30

Posted October 15, 2007 - 09:28 AM

right on bro! nice ol' xr's!

• heavyhitter

Posted October 15, 2007 - 03:47 PM

:crazy: yep thats what its all about. I find my self at my happiest when I am riding.

• Timmerz

Posted October 15, 2007 - 07:01 PM

right on bro! nice ol' xr's!

Yup! Mine's the '83 XL600R on the left, which I ride back and forth to work occasionally still, and my Grandson's '84 XR350 on the right, this was his first weekend in the saddle of this beast...what a fire-breathin' beast that one is!! I was totally impressed with the power to weight ratio of that son of a gun...and my Grandson only weighs about 135 lbs....greased lightning!:crazy:

• Motosprtman

Posted October 16, 2007 - 06:05 AM

I get lost completely when riding, all cares and worries dissappear. It's the best medicine in the world for me to recharge my batteries with. As a kid I never got into the ball sports, baseball, football etc, not that I don't like them nor appreciate them, just does not strum the right tune for me. However when I first learned to release a clutch on a motorcyle and ride, that was it, I was smitten and have been for about 40 years. Dirt biking is kinda an alone sport, no one is on the sidelines (not normally) cheering you, it does not make the headlines in the paper nor is it even mentioned in the sports section, but to truly master the sport - it takes great skill, agiligity, endurance and most of all perseverance to keep trying to be better, smoother, faster. I don't think you ever truly master it, some do, as do professional ball players, but that is the gifted few. I love riding in the dirt. Street riding on a crusier is okay and fun in it's own way, but nothing beats a feet up slide on fresh loam or a long loft of the front end over gnarly terrain, or simply making it up that trail that scared the hell out of you by just looking at it. (oh crap I gotta go back down too?) what a wonderful thing, more wonderful is the passing of this passion from one generation to another.

Keep on riding.

• Maroast

Posted October 16, 2007 - 06:39 AM

I get lost completely when riding, all cares and worries dissappear. It's the best medicine in the world for me to recharge my batteries with. As a kid I never got into the ball sports, baseball, football etc, not that I don't like them nor appreciate them, just does not strum the right tune for me. However when I first learned to release a clutch on a motorcyle and ride, that was it, I was smitten and have been for about 40 years. Dirt biking is kinda an alone sport, no one is on the sidelines (not normally) cheering you, it does not make the headlines in the paper nor is it even mentioned in the sports section, but to truly master the sport - it takes great skill, agiligity, endurance and most of all perseverance to keep trying to be better, smoother, faster. I don't think you ever truly master it, some do, as do professional ball players, but that is the gifted few. I love riding in the dirt. Street riding on a crusier is okay and fun in it's own way, but nothing beats a feet up slide on fresh loam or a long loft of the front end over gnarly terrain, or simply making it up that trail that scared the hell out of you by just looking at it. (oh crap I gotta go back down too?) what a wonderful thing, more wonderful is the passing of this passion from one generation to another.

Keep on riding.

Well put!

Timmerz....great post. :crazy:

• martinfan30

Posted October 16, 2007 - 07:15 AM

Keep on riding.

:crazy: too bad we dont live closer, to go riding!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted October 16, 2007 - 10:05 AM

I am truly fortunate in that right out of my shop and into the woods is about 200 acres of land that I ride on, gets old - but it is there, it is "land locked" if you will, inaccessible from highways and too expensive to bring in power water etc and no one wants to grant access via thier existing properties, so I make out. The owner does not care at all if I ride back there, and my riding buddy and I have made some great trails. C'mon out anytime!

• martinfan30

Posted October 16, 2007 - 10:44 AM

I am truly fortunate in that right out of my shop and into the woods is about 200 acres of land that I ride on, gets old - but it is there, it is "land locked" if you will, inaccessible from highways and too expensive to bring in power water etc and no one wants to grant access via thier existing properties, so I make out. The owner does not care at all if I ride back there, and my riding buddy and I have made some great trails. C'mon out anytime!

you live on an island near seattle?

• Motosprtman

Posted October 16, 2007 - 12:21 PM

correct, Whidbey Island, about 30 minutes north of Seattle, to the Mukilteo Ferry and onto whidbey.

• shrubitup

Posted October 16, 2007 - 12:33 PM

Sounds fun. I live on Bainbridge Island just west of Seattle. The opposite is true regarding riding here. Every open space is "protected", "designated", "under environmental interpretation", "managed" by a parks district, or otherwise frowned upon for riding.

I heading up to Whidbey right now, LOL. Where do I pull in?? Spark arrested and quiet my bike is.

• truck6driver

Posted October 16, 2007 - 06:12 PM

Great pic. So what you are saying is the grandson on the 350 spanked you on the 600?!?! Great to see it is still a family sport.

Have fun and keep riding.

RH

• Timmerz

Posted October 16, 2007 - 10:06 PM

Great pic. So what you are saying is the grandson on the 350 spanked you on the 600?!?! Great to see it is still a family sport.

Have fun and keep riding.

RH

Well....my street-oriented traction kept me from digging in as well as I would have liked, and the suspension is decidedly plush on the 600, so....I kept up with him, that's as far as I'll go towards admitting anything like what you're saying...:crazy:
We had an absolute blast!

• Suikerland

Posted October 17, 2007 - 02:18 AM

...but nothing beats ... simply making it up that trail that scared the hell out of you by just looking at it.

To me, that's what it's all about. Pushing the boundaries, getting mentally stronger, being amazed at doing something today that I never thought i could do...

Seems to me that us humans are designed to be challenged physically & mentally, to avoid challenge is to become weak.

Riding bikes offroad is just one damn good way of challenging yourself.
Like trying to pick up an XR650 lying the wrong way on the side of a big dune when your forearms are numb with tiredness...:crazy:

• Motosprtman

Posted October 17, 2007 - 06:01 AM

Sounds fun. I live on Bainbridge Island just west of Seattle. The opposite is true regarding riding here. Every open space is "protected", "designated", "under environmental interpretation", "managed" by a parks district, or otherwise frowned upon for riding.

I heading up to Whidbey right now, LOL. Where do I pull in?? Spark arrested and quiet my bike is.

I also go down to Carbonado (south of Orting) to the Evans Creek ORV park, gnarly trails and open dirt roads and some ATV trails which are pretty ez, lotsa water crossings, mud, roots, rock and fun!~

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.