How long before a rebuild?

25 replies to this topic
  • getpower

Posted October 14, 2007 - 09:29 PM

Thinking about gettin either an '08 250 or 300 XC-We. I ride a lot of tight trails and hillclimbs. So, first off, which bike would be better for me ( I weigh in at ariund 250 fully geared)?

Second, if I do get a 2-stroker, how long will it last every time before I will need a rebuild?
How much does a rebuild cost? What is involved?
What kind of premix do you recommend and why?

I am pretty mechanically inclined, just the 2000 250 EXC I had was a POS and people tell me that the new 2 strokes are in another league than the old ones.

BTW, for anyone who knows the area I live in Pacifica-about 15 min. South of San Fransisco. I ride at Hollister, Carnegie, Penny Pines, etc...

• m2r06

Posted October 15, 2007 - 03:33 AM

I think the 300 would best suit you, but you can't go wrong with whatever one you find a better deal on. :crazy:

• gnarly_carl

Posted October 15, 2007 - 06:05 AM

Welcome to TT Getpower! I have an 07 KTM 300 XC-W and absolutely love this bike. I ride mostly Clear Creek and Hollister with the the occasional trip to Georgetown or Stonyford. I bought my bike last December and have 102 hours and 1700+ mile on the odometer and the bike still pulls very strong. I will likely do a top end in the next month or so just for my peace of mind. KTM's are a bit more expensive to rebuild than Japanese bikes, and I think the top end kit is $250-$300. KTM makes so many damn good bikes, it made it really hard to make a decision. If you are trail\play\enduro riding I would really recommend the 300 XC-W over the 250. As far as pre-mix goes, I run Klotz Super Techniplate at 40:1 (20% castor 80% synthetic) because it burns really clean and it smells delicious. I will be at Hollister Hills 10-20-07 if you want to take her for a spin.:crazy:

• mxredneck

Posted October 15, 2007 - 12:07 PM

My friend has 200+ hours on his 04 200

• getpower

Posted October 15, 2007 - 05:33 PM

You know, that sounds great. If I can get a ride up there then I'll contact you.

I dont know if I have mentioned this but I am only 17 years old if you want to go back on that offer.

• gnarly_carl

Posted October 16, 2007 - 05:22 AM

You know, that sounds great. If I can get a ride up there then I'll contact you.

I dont know if I have mentioned this but I am only 17 years old if you want to go back on that offer.

Check your PM.

• stretzhs459

Posted October 16, 2007 - 07:25 AM

I've got over a year of hard riding almost every weekend on my 04 200 (bought new last June, 06) and haven't touched the motor.

• RayIn

Posted October 16, 2007 - 08:19 AM

I am pretty mechanically inclined, just the 2000 250 EXC I had was a POS and people tell me that the new 2 strokes are in another league than the old ones.

I'm curious, what issue did you have with your 250 EXC? I ride 2 KTM 2 smokes of that era (00' 300EXC, and an 01' 200EXC), and do not have an issue with them.

• llamaface

Posted October 16, 2007 - 08:49 AM

as far as longevity, I put almost 700 hrs on my 300 before I looked inside. At that point, due to running excessively lean jetting off-idle, I opted to replate the cylinder because there was some wear below the powervalve (carbon blowing back from the pipe).

On my 250sx, which I use mostly for racing in the dezert and enduros, I've been doing the top-end about ever 125-150 hrs. Both times I've taken it apart it has looked very good inside, the rings in great shape.

For trailriding, I wouldn't even bother to think about a top end until 200 hrs, and that's just if you're bored. For offroad racing applications, I'd lean towards 100 just for the peace of mind.

• getpower

Posted October 16, 2007 - 07:32 PM

I'm curious, what issue did you have with your 250 EXC? I ride 2 KTM 2 smokes of that era (00' 300EXC, and an 01' 200EXC), and do not have an issue with them.

Well, we started having issues with it fouling plugs, not starting when we wanted it to, got 20 miles to a tank of gas, ran like crap.

We went over the whole bike-reed valves, plugs, rebuild, jetting (which was perfect), and anything else you could possibly think of. It just didnt cooperate. Supposedly the guy we sold it to took it right to his mechanic and he got it running like new.

No matter what happened I couldnt get my dad to bring it into the shop to get it properly fixed, he was too worried about the $100.00 an hour labor. He is the BEST car mechanic in the world, but I think dirt bikes are too finicky for him.

• gnarly_carl

Posted October 16, 2007 - 09:26 PM

Hey Bro,

You can check them all out this Saturday.KTM Demo Day

• Mr. Neutron

Posted October 19, 2007 - 05:44 AM

"At that point, due to running excessively lean jetting off-idle, I opted to replate the cylinder because there was some wear below the powervalve (carbon blowing back from the pipe)."

Llamaface, who did you have do your cylinder plating, and were/are you happy with the job they did?

• llamaface

Posted October 19, 2007 - 07:28 AM

Llamaface, who did you have do your cylinder plating, and were/are you happy with the job they did?

I had sent the cylinder to clay (now at munnracing in texas) for some porting, and he sent it i believe to us chrome for the replating. it took forever because they were in the process of moving their facility across the country, but they did a very nice job on it.

• nocturnal

Posted October 21, 2007 - 04:06 PM

My friend has 200+ hours on his 04 200

I have a 2004 200 and I did my top-end at 100 hours. I was pleasantly surprised that it did not really need it. KTM 2-strokes are bulletproof. :crazy:

• mowtown

Posted October 22, 2007 - 08:57 PM

BTW, for anyone who knows the area I live in Pacifica-about 15 min. South of San Fransisco. I ride at Hollister, Carnegie, Penny Pines, etc...

LOL, I have "roots" in Pacifica. Back in the 70's, there was a great motorcycle club called PMA--Pacifica Motorcycle Club that my dad was prez of a couple of years. They had some property right off of hwy 1 overlooking the ocean. Had 2 tracks, hillclimbs, and some trails. I was a little kid but there was great times there. I even raced peewees and bicycles there.

Also, my wife is from Pacifica and went to Oceana.

Welcome to TT.:crazy:

Correction: I just remebered that PMA was our "rival" club...I think it still exists. Our club was called CSMC--Coast Side Motorcycle Club.

• fletchman919

Posted July 27, 2008 - 01:32 PM

as far as longevity, I put almost 700 hrs on my 300 before I looked inside. At that point, due to running excessively lean jetting off-idle, I opted to replate the cylinder because there was some wear below the powervalve (carbon blowing back from the pipe).

On my 250sx, which I use mostly for racing in the dezert and enduros, I've been doing the top-end about ever 125-150 hrs. Both times I've taken it apart it has looked very good inside, the rings in great shape.

For trailriding, I wouldn't even bother to think about a top end until 200 hrs, and that's just if you're bored. For offroad racing applications, I'd lean towards 100 just for the peace of mind.

My experience is a lot different. I now have 112 hours on my 300 and it's already time for a new top end. The compression is low and the grooves in the piston are worn smooth. I change the air filter after every ride and change the oil after 12 hours. I use a 50:1 premix ratio and ride it like I stole it. That's still pretty good IMO, but it's a far cry from 700 hours. :ride:

• peter916

Posted July 27, 2008 - 03:06 PM

My last 300 was a 2000 mod and got its 1st piston after 6yrs!! Dont know how many k's but plenty, was still looking ok. My o8 has done 65hrs and running better than ever, wont be even thinking bout till 200hrs plus.

• fletchman919

Posted July 27, 2008 - 03:39 PM

I can see how guys riding a gear or two high can go that long. It's impossible IMHO to go that long on a top end when the engine is being pushed though. What's your take on that?

• Johno33772

Posted July 27, 2008 - 03:53 PM

Just rebuilt my 08 300 topend, new piston kit, all new o-rings & gaskets was about $225-00 with shipping for the parts. I thought that was reasonably cheap.

• fletchman919

Posted July 27, 2008 - 04:23 PM

Just rebuilt my 08 300 topend, new piston kit, all new o-rings & gaskets was about $225-00 with shipping for the parts. I thought that was reasonably cheap.

That is a good price. Who did you go with?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.