Where to buy a tall gripper seat for XR650R???

12 replies to this topic
  • honkylips

Posted October 14, 2007 - 08:42 PM

I've looked all over online and can't find anything. I'd like a tall, gripper seat (either a whole unit, or a gripper cover and tall foam). Can somebody point me in the right direction? Thanks..............

• GlobalWarmer

Posted October 14, 2007 - 10:56 PM

I didn't like the quality I received with my CR but Guts has them.

• honkylips

Posted October 14, 2007 - 11:20 PM

can you elaborate about the quality (or lack of)?

• Whiteman

Posted October 15, 2007 - 05:58 AM

www.gutsracing.com good replacement but not as good as stock.

www.renazco.com do you really want the best, most comfortable seat?

• honkylips

Posted October 15, 2007 - 06:34 AM

I just want a taller, grippier seat, I don't need anything fancy. My butt never hurts after riding, I just like the idea of an easier transition between sitting/standing.

What's so sub-par about the Guts? Materials, quality of workmanship, or both?

• RdrMtn

Posted October 15, 2007 - 06:41 AM

http://shop.thumpert...fault.asp?p=176

I got an SDG tall seat from the TT store. I love it-and it has a gripper cover.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GlobalWarmer

Posted October 15, 2007 - 08:18 AM

Three complaints. Foam was supposed to stock firmness (per phone conversation) but was alot softer. Even with the tall foam my hip bottoms out agains the plastic on the sides causing hip pain. Foam arrived with the nose not straight. The form was off. Made a polite complaint via email and never received a response.

• Black Mesa Offroad

Posted October 15, 2007 - 11:27 AM

I'm thinking real hard about building myself a new seat. In my quest, the other night I went looking for the material, which was harder than I could imagine because everyone automatically calls the covering material "gripper" material and seems like the dirt bike world isn't as DIY as the 4x4 world, which I'm used to. After about an hour and endless leads going nowhere, I finally stumbled across a material that could be useful in my quest.

The current seat cover I have on my BRP is a Factory FX one. My best guess on the material is rubberized vinyl. I really like it function wise, but I don't like the looks. I also want to go a little taller since even though I'm 5'11", I feel a little cramped when I sit on the bike.

I found this site and requested samples, which came in the mail today. I received samples of both the carbon fiber and the brushed aluminum. My first impression is that the carbon fiber (which I'm going to go ahead and get and redo the seat) does not have the traction of the current seat cover, but I think the loss will not be that big of a deal.

• Descalzo

Posted October 16, 2007 - 03:24 AM

Three complaints. Foam was supposed to stock firmness (per phone conversation) but was alot softer. Even with the tall foam my hip bottoms out agains the plastic on the sides causing hip pain. Foam arrived with the nose not straight. The form was off. Made a polite complaint via email and never received a response.

I'd kinda agree with the 1st.

I bought the tall in med, which is supposed to be stk density. Frankly I can't tell if it's actually softer than stk, or if with the addition on 1.5" of foam, it's actually like a typical seat now. (ie-yes, it seems softer, but I think it's because there's now some foam under my butt). Whatever the case, I'm real glad I didn't follow the typical wisedom & buy the soft foam, which is probably fine for someone lighter, but @ 210 I think I would've sunk down to the seat pan & been right back where I was with the stk seat. Personally, I've grown to really like the med foam.

I didn't notice any issues with the shape being off, & as for customer service I can't comment either way - I placed my order in less than 2 minutes, had it two days later & haven't had cause to speak with them since.

• Bennito

Posted October 17, 2007 - 06:47 AM

I had same experience as Descalzo. Ordered online. got stuff a few days later. never had to speak with GUTS. Got the tall/med seat. Mine was a bit more firm than stock. As for quality, the gripper was fine. The mold for the foam seems off. mine needed to have a bit trimmed.

I wouldn't point someone away from GUTS. But having done more research - I bet you can find a local guy to make you a custom seat / cover for the same price.

YMMV.

• eyezikn

Posted October 17, 2007 - 10:52 AM

motorcycle superstore has them I believe

• Robbiesworld

Posted October 19, 2007 - 12:05 AM

My stock seat killed my butt after about 5 minutes. I ordered a tall soft foam and cover from GUTS and they gave me awesome customer service. I was not happy with the foam it was shabby looking with voids, the cover was stitched like crap. I went ahead and installed it on my seat pan and my butt has not hurt after that. Here is a pic of it on my pig.

Posted Image

• Boater

Posted October 19, 2007 - 03:53 AM

I got one from Al Bakers XR's Only.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.