YZ oil tank for our WR's

13 replies to this topic
  • Bob Connett

Posted October 14, 2007 - 06:15 PM

Has anyone mounted a 08 yz 250f oil tank on a 07 wr450f yet. The frames are similar but it looks like it might not clear the block. Two rides and my bel ray thumper oil is dirty. Any ideas?

• WR_Dave

Posted October 14, 2007 - 07:11 PM

I usually have around 400 km's on my oil changes and the oil is a bit darker than new but still in good enough condition that I wouldn't be too worried about extending my change intervals if I had to. You never said how long your 2 rides were and if you had done any mods, a too rich jetting set up could be putting alot of fuel into the oil, slipping the clutch on the big thumpers is a huge nono and will quickly burn the oil and the clutches. Hopefully this helps , otherwise we need a little more info. :crazy: WR Dave

• Bob Connett

Posted October 15, 2007 - 05:30 AM

Street legal 07 WR450F FMF speed, gray wire disconnected, 165 YZ jet, throttle stop removed and 15 tooth front sprocket. Travel 30 miles to the trails and ride 3 hours on the trails then home for 30 miles. The oil gets real dark on the third ride. Just wondering if the tank would fit.:crazy: :D

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 15, 2007 - 06:19 AM

Street legal 07 WR450F FMF speed, gray wire disconnected, 165 YZ jet, throttle stop removed and 15 tooth front sprocket. Travel 30 miles to the trails and ride 3 hours on the trails then home for 30 miles. The oil gets real dark on the third ride. Just wondering if the tank would fit.:crazy: :D

thats alot of riding...we do baja runs over the weekends (2 days of riding about 350 miles) and when i change its dirty.

• Racegun

Posted October 17, 2007 - 03:12 AM

Can you explain where an 08 250 oil tank is. Is it external ?

• clark4131

Posted October 17, 2007 - 05:40 AM

Can you explain where an 08 250 oil tank is. Is it external ?

It ain't external, so I've been trying to figure out the question myself :crazy:. Maybe he's talking about an external oil cooler, but the YZ250F doesn't have one of those either...SC

• msgbean

Posted October 17, 2007 - 06:24 AM

It ain't external,

It is external. The oil tank sits between the frame rails in front of the engine and I think his question is interesting if you are looking to carry more oil. I'm just not sure how the plumming would work out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted October 17, 2007 - 06:55 AM

I stand corrected. I couldn't find it anywhere in the parts schematic, but I'll take your word for it...SC

P.S. - Now I found it. It's listed with the side cover in the schematic...SC

• tony1970

Posted October 17, 2007 - 07:43 AM

Don't all the new generation beer can frame WR's have external oil tanks? They can't carry the oil in the frame like the steel ones.

• tony1970

Posted October 17, 2007 - 07:59 AM

Ahhh.. the WR's carry the oil by dry sump.:crazy: A tank may work. A cooler may be more pratical though.

• msgbean

Posted October 18, 2007 - 07:12 AM

Don't all the new generation beer can frame WR's have external oil tanks? They can't carry the oil in the frame like the steel ones.

The 450s don't because the engine was also redesigned with an oil tank inside the engine. The 250f engines have not been redesigned yet so therefore they need the external oil tank. I'm sure a redesigned engine is in the works for the 250 that will also incorperate an internal tank.

• msgbean

Posted October 18, 2007 - 08:52 AM

The 450s don't because the engine was also redesigned with an oil tank inside the engine. The 250f engines have not been redesigned yet so therefore they need the external oil tank. I'm sure a redesigned engine is in the works for the 250 that will also incorperate an internal tank.

• Bob Connett

Posted October 18, 2007 - 06:30 PM

http://i240.photobucket

• tweav

Posted October 22, 2007 - 11:30 AM

no a 250 tank will not just fit on . but it is close . I think if I'm going to put a tank on my 450 . I think it would be best to custom make one .the 250's tank is like 3/4 of a quart in size. the pressure line is there to put a tank on. I have a aluminum skid plate I'm looking at tig welding up into a oil tank.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.