Clutch Adjustment Question

3 replies to this topic
  • Seabass

Posted October 13, 2007 - 11:01 AM

I've got an '05 WR 450 and cant seem to get the clutch adjusted properly. The last few races I've done I barely have any clutch left at the end of the race. I rarely abuse the clutch and pretty much just use the motor to get me outta sticky situations.

I had my bike on the stand and fired it up in neutral and noticed the back wheel spinning slowly....hmmmmm. So I decided to put it in first gear and when I pilled the clutch in the wheel kept spinning.

I played with the clutch cable adjuster but it didn't seem to help. I replaced my clutch plates and springs and have about five hard rides on the bike since.

Friends tell me I'm adjusting the clutch cable too tight, but if I leave much slop my clutch fades away quickly.

Someone else told me using Mobil 1 will cause the clutch to work improperly. I swithed to BelRay Thumper oil but that didn't cure the problem.

Anyone have any idea what's going on????

• jbrooks26

Posted October 13, 2007 - 12:50 PM

Running on the stand with the bike in gear and the clutch pulled it, it is not uncommon for the wheel to turn simply due to the oil turning in the clutch. Clutch fade is from my understanding usually more related to excess heat rather than clutch abuse. A good rule of thumb is to have enough freeplay to fit a penny or a nickel in between the perch and lever at the hinge point when you adjust the clutch cable. Hope this helps,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Seabass

Posted October 13, 2007 - 06:40 PM

The rear wheel spins pretty fast when I put it in gear and pull in the clutch. Thaanks for the info.

• xrmarty

Posted October 13, 2007 - 07:45 PM

The rear wheel spins pretty fast when I put it in gear and pull in the clutch. Thaanks for the info.

Mine does exactly the same thing. In fact every bike I've ever had did that. I always lube my chains while bike are running.

BTW: Where on earth is Yap???

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.