long live big 4- strokes!!

20 replies to this topic
  • scalejockey

Posted October 13, 2007 - 05:46 AM

this is a pic my buddies 04 rm250 piston(2-stroke) after 2 years of riding,at the same time my 650r is still fresh.We ride almost every weekend together.:crazy: Posted Image

• AtomicGeo

Posted October 13, 2007 - 06:17 AM

Could it also be an issue with the brand :crazy: of bike he's riding?

• fearlu

Posted October 13, 2007 - 06:54 AM

Or the Deschutes micro-brew you dumped in his tank?

• scalejockey

Posted October 13, 2007 - 03:37 PM

The micro brew is payment for the mechanic (me) . Ya he gets alot of crap for riding a scumzuka!! Just a side note he had to add some gas w\o mix to make it back from a long ride the week before. I thinkith he went a little too far and damaged it a little.

• bosshog

Posted October 13, 2007 - 04:33 PM

I'ld rather rebuild that than a CRF450. About the same life expectancy only twice the work and $$$. The XR 650R now that's a different story altogether. This is the way a 4stroke should run, strong and for a long time.

• scalejockey

Posted October 13, 2007 - 07:43 PM

funny thing, his brother brought his bike by when i was putting the 250 back together.A crf 450, we checked the valves and the intakes had no clearance.. time for a top end job! told him it could run as high as 2 grand if the piston and crank had to be replaced too. He was a little bummed..also told him to take it the shop cause it would take A LOT of beer to do this one, truth is i'd rather be riding than working on bikes.!!

• Maroast

Posted October 13, 2007 - 07:53 PM

YIKES! What did that do to his bottom end?!?!?! Did his gears chew up all those little pieces of aluminum?

• scalejockey

Posted October 14, 2007 - 05:56 AM

no it really didn't hurt anything.even the cylinder was OK! we did replace the crank cause the rod bearing was a little loose,and of course the main bearings because the were full of bits-o-piston. He was real lucky a chunk didn't poke a hole in the case toward the gear area or outside.

• shrubitup

Posted October 14, 2007 - 06:47 AM

Don't even begin to tell me that a 4 stroke is better than a 2 stroke because one piston explodes in an RM250.

You even said that you ran STRAIGHT gas in the RM WITHOUT OIL. Smart!:crazy: :D

Why don't you just drain all of the oil from your XR650R and see how long it takes the engine to torpedo itself like the RM??? Hello?? You need to mix oil in a 2T to keep them alive. It's not an option or an excuse. Cheap outboard engine oil can be picked up at any back woods redneck convenience store or anywhere else for that matter. It doesn't matter what brand of oil so long as its available and mixed in the gas!! A small 4oz. or 8oz. bottle can be stashed in your camelbak easily.

Anyway, my 2T will run for quite a while. Yes, I had two XR650Rs and their reliability is legendary only because they were engineered to last that long. Look at any 4T motocross bike and see how long they last and how much money it costs to repair them??!!! Same applies to the CRF-X and Yamaha WR-F series too. Since they make these torpedo engines in the 450cc size I'd say that's big bore enough.

• scalejockey

Posted October 14, 2007 - 05:56 PM

He HAD to ad a little gas out of a 450 to get back before the sun went down.
I had told him to do this trick only if you were running low and not empty.(he's kinda a novice still but he learned something from that ride) Iv'e also had told him to put a 3oz. bottle of mix somewhere on his bike and he still hasn't done that.. kids!!! personally I think all the new 2-strokes will last only as long as you take care of them. but I have noticed some models have had specific problems,even hondas. Then again,I remember the air cooled days and buying pistons by the 6-pack.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kuritaro9

Posted October 14, 2007 - 07:10 PM

YIKES! What did that do to his bottom end?!?!?! Did his gears chew up all those little pieces of aluminum?

2stroke gear boxes dont share lubrication with the crank housing, so when they go, its usually just the crank and cylinder...:crazy:

• shrubitup

Posted October 14, 2007 - 10:31 PM

Crazy. For fear of that engine damage I would have stashed the bike somewhere on the trail and rode back to camp on that 450 as a passenger. Then, come the next day or whenever available, head back with whatever and some 32:1.

Just bought well used XR650L today. Holy moly is that thing huge sitting next to the YZ this evening.

• scalejockey

Posted October 15, 2007 - 04:45 AM

ya ,seems like no matter what bike i jump on to "try out" they feel tiny and slow compared to the 650R ..well except for the hillclimber yamaha twin with nitrous that I worked on this summer.THAT thing was plain scary. Those guys are nuts!!

• Denn10

Posted October 15, 2007 - 08:16 AM

Could it also be an issue with the brand :crazy: of bike he's riding?

• Pincushion

Posted October 15, 2007 - 08:20 AM

Is that Inversion IPA? If so, great choice..... possibly my favorite beer ever.

Your buddy sure got lucky if his cylinder and crank are salvageable. That looks like a bad scenario.

• XR_RON

Posted October 15, 2007 - 08:49 AM

You cant even think that a two stroke 250,or any for that matter will last as long as a xr top end,no comparision.

• scalejockey

Posted October 15, 2007 - 07:18 PM

The cylinder was hurt very little. but we did replace the crank,it had some ware on the big end of the rod.

He did well on the beer selection. (inversion IPA)He was badly scolded when he brought light beer last time he needed work done!!

• AtomicGeo

Posted October 15, 2007 - 07:55 PM

Good one Denn10! :crazy:

• shrubitup

Posted October 15, 2007 - 08:52 PM

The cylinder was hurt very little.

Yeah, big surprise. Ya'll think that the 2 strokes are so vastly inferior to the big bore XRs. A 2T 250 ridden only on trails and maintained at a normal frequency will stay fresh at least 2/3 the time of a XRR.

• deelong4002

Posted October 16, 2007 - 06:30 AM

You guys cant really compare a 250 2-stroke and a 650 4-stroke. Its like compairing a Formula 1 car to a Military Tank

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  40 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.