Faster lap times on a 07WR250 over my 06yz450

6 replies to this topic
  • stock510

Posted October 12, 2007 - 11:16 PM

Hey all,

Went for a ride today at a local track that our group rides at every so often. Track had received plenty of rain and was super tacky, perfect riding conditions as it is usually dry and dusty.

Anyway, my mate works for yamaha and is able to get a 07WR250F for weekend rides. So halfway through the day i decided to have a ride on it and i have never felt more comfortable on a bike and more confident ever. I was cornering far better than i ever had, the front end was stuck like glue everywhere and just inspired confidence in me and i was riding out of my skin.

Now the bike obviously didn't have the power or acceleration of my 450 so some sections required a lot more throttle than I am used to and the suspension would bottom out easier (only on one instance when i came up a touch short on a tabletop) but it cornered so well that it obviously didn't matter as my mate was timing me.

My mates couldn't believe how much better i was riding and neither could i. I would say i am a B grade rider as my mate races this grade and i can keep pace with him with no worries and we both ride a 06yz450f.

I was kind of clueless as to why i could get on a bike that was not set up for me in any way for my weight and it be so good. I would love my 06 to corner like this. My 06 has the right springs for my 90kg frame and i have set the sag and played with the clickers like many on here have suggested and i thought it handled good before i rode this WR.

It has kind of made me keen for a WR, or more to the point - getting my 06 to handle like the WR did. If the WR450 corners like the 250 then i would buy one..........my mates said they wouldnt ride with me if i had a WR because they think they look wrong on a mx track but that was the best day of riding i have had in a long time.

• BergArabia

Posted October 13, 2007 - 04:10 AM

Hey all,

Went for a ride today at a local track that our group rides at every so often. Track had received plenty of rain and was super tacky, perfect riding conditions as it is usually dry and dusty.

Anyway, my mate works for yamaha and is able to get a 07WR250F for weekend rides. So halfway through the day i decided to have a ride on it and i have never felt more comfortable on a bike and more confident ever. I was cornering far better than i ever had, the front end was stuck like glue everywhere and just inspired confidence in me and i was riding out of my skin.

Now the bike obviously didn't have the power or acceleration of my 450 so some sections required a lot more throttle than I am used to and the suspension would bottom out easier (only on one instance when i came up a touch short on a tabletop) but it cornered so well that it obviously didn't matter as my mate was timing me.

My mates couldn't believe how much better i was riding and neither could i. I would say i am a B grade rider as my mate races this grade and i can keep pace with him with no worries and we both ride a 06yz450f.

I was kind of clueless as to why i could get on a bike that was not set up for me in any way for my weight and it be so good. I would love my 06 to corner like this. My 06 has the right springs for my 90kg frame and i have set the sag and played with the clickers like many on here have suggested and i thought it handled good before i rode this WR.

It has kind of made me keen for a WR, or more to the point - getting my 06 to handle like the WR did. If the WR450 corners like the 250 then i would buy one..........my mates said they wouldnt ride with me if i had a WR because they think they look wrong on a mx track but that was the best day of riding i have had in a long time.

How about the suspension on the WR vs your YZ. Would you say that your YZ is dialled in for you?
Very interesting post BTW.

• stock510

Posted October 13, 2007 - 05:00 AM

It is dialed in for the track that we ride often which is far smoother than this particular track.....have set the sag at 100mm and the bike seems nice although still doesn't have the front end stickiness of the WR.

The track that we went to today is very rough in comparison to the more sx style track that we have on a mates property, so i think i have just gotten into the mindset that its a rough mx track and therefore thats it, now i realize that i need to put a lot more time into getting the suspension really dialed in for this particular track because if a WR can do it in style then i should be able to get the YZ to be as smooth.

I feel kind of silly for riding it how it is now if it could be so much better.:crazy: I now realize that my "dialed in" is not even close to what dialed in should really feel like.

I guess i will start with stock settings from the manual and put some quality time into getting the bike working how it should and record the best settings i can come up with so every time i ride the rough track i can put in the settings.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • maddogyz250f

Posted October 13, 2007 - 07:55 AM

It might be a lot more than just suspension tuning. Your experience reminds me of an article in one of the MX rags earlier this year where they converted a Honda CRF450X to MX by removing the electric starter, lights, battery, and kickstand plus tuned the motor and suspension for MX. If I recall, virtually everyone who rode it was faster and liked it better than a stock CRF450R. A lot of it had to do with the flex in the frame and forks that made it easier to ride especially on rough tracks.

I would love to do this test myself if I had access to a WR.

• AnotherRedHead

Posted October 13, 2007 - 08:46 AM

Because at your speed, the soft susp seems to work better. The faster you go, the stiffer sprung bike is better, as it packs in harder, hits ruts and jump faces with speed. I thought the same thing when riding a buddys old worn out 250F, but then realized I was just slow! With the right tires, and susp combo FOR YOUR SPEED, your bike should feel stuck like glue to the ground, esp when your out weighting that outside peg. Thats why susp companies as you your speed level, to which most ppl say something faster than what they are, and in turn, they get a stiff bike that is super smooth to a fast rider. Chop, gouts braking bumps, high speed comp guys! So when your going slow over all that and your susp isnt compressing to its desired area your bike feels washy because it is pretty much riding on top of the soil instead of meshing with it.

• stock510

Posted October 13, 2007 - 04:42 PM

I didn't get my suspension re valved or anything fancy like that i just put in the right springs for my weight and left it at that.

Its not like i went to a suspension shop and said I am a A grade gun and now my bike is setup like a rock, although its a good point you make.

When I am out riding the track and I am riding with people who race and i feel are pretty good riders, I am not cruising around the track, I am going as quick as i can to battle with them.

I think that the current setup is holding me back so ill have to get it sorted out!

Thanks for the replies.

• grayracer513

Posted October 13, 2007 - 05:16 PM

Very often, it simply works out to be one or both of two things, neither having much to do with the bike, per se.

> The conditions are a perfect match for your bike. This has happened to me before. the track layout, the traction, the soil, it just all comes together in such away that your bike, even though less powerful and less sophisticated than some of the others, just plain works better than anything else. I had this happen at a little local race track years ago where none of the purpose built racers could touch my stone stock BSA B50. Add to that, it was my play bike, the same one I spent hour after hour on out in the trails, and on which I was totally comfortable and familiar.

> Some days, you wake up and you're just untouchable. You do everything right. Everything you do works, and then you start having fun, and from there, you take off and it goes downhill for everybody else. Even if something bad happens, it doesn't matter, because you blow it off and pass everyone anyway. I've had this happen, too, but not nearly often enough.

If it was suspension setup, or something like that, it'd be the same all the time.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.