Air Filter Oil?

10 replies to this topic
  • chambers

Posted October 12, 2007 - 12:27 PM

Call me cheap but tomorrow I am gonna clean the air filter. Take it out washing up liquid clean and then re-oil, I have looked here

and they recommend K&N oil but say any oil will work and the guy is simply using left over clean engine oil. Obviously with changing my oil today I have some clean oil left and I'm wondering if I can use it. I know its only saving me about £15 but still its better than nothing.

Does anyone else just use normal engine oil on their filter?

• GCannon

Posted October 12, 2007 - 02:13 PM

If your going to do that use alot of motor oil:eek:

I am guessing having never been there but you probably don't ride in a very dusty place!

Posted October 12, 2007 - 02:51 PM

I rinse with gas, then stick it in a bucket with HOT dish water, rinse, and when it dries I use spray oil ONLY(any brand). You can use regular oil or liquid filter oil but you need to wring it out good that way its even.

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 12, 2007 - 06:56 PM

The problem with clean motor oil is that its not tacky and it runs to the bottom of the filter. I wouldn't use motor oil in dusty conditions.

• Mutu

Posted October 12, 2007 - 10:54 PM

There was a bit of an article in one of our Aussie mags about crap you can use for your bike from the supermarket.

There was one thing that caught my eye and that was they said that canola oil works great for air filter oil. :crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tmckeown

Posted October 13, 2007 - 01:42 AM

Just get a Twinair or No-toil kit for this. It will save time, nerves and health

Timo McKeown

• kskyles

Posted October 13, 2007 - 03:25 PM

please don't use anything but filter oil.

you'll save a few bucks on the oil, but you're taking a big risk with your engine. i'd rather spend the few bucks (or pounds, or euros) on the right stuff to protect that expensive, high performance engine.

• WR450RICKO

Posted October 14, 2007 - 07:51 AM

motor oil work fine

• byggd

Posted May 06, 2008 - 11:17 AM

Sorry to revive an old thread but thought this was interesting for those asking what oil to use.

• WR450RICKO

Posted May 06, 2008 - 07:57 PM

Oil is for stopping airborne particals, not water. Its a motorcylce not a boat or submarine.

• Zsebi-2

Posted May 06, 2008 - 08:17 PM

I used chainsaw bar/chain lube in the past , it is very sticky, won't drain to the bottom of the filter. It is cheap to buy. I applied it with an old automotive type paint sprayer, the ones body/paint shops use; bought it at a garage sale for $2.
One quart of bar/chain lube will go a long way.

people tend to over saturate the foam filter with oil. Go easy with it, you only need a little yet even coverage.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.