Front tire help for YZ450F

18 replies to this topic
  • Dan_187

Posted October 12, 2007 - 08:08 AM

I have an '06 and I currently run 756s on both ends. The knobs on the front have started to round off, they are still fairly big but not square anymore. Is it time to replace it or can I use it for a while longer? I want to get the most hookup up front because of the obvious shortcomming of my bikes turning abilities. I ride at most of the local socal tracks, Perris is about the hardest pack dirt I ride, so with that would you recommend sticking with the 756 up front or is there a better front tire option out there?

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted October 12, 2007 - 03:35 PM

I usually replace my front tire after the trailing edge of the knob, braking side, is worn beyond square. Try replacing your 756 with a 952 or a Maxxis SI. I know the Maxxis is a soft compound, but they seem to wear well also.

• grayracer513

Posted October 12, 2007 - 03:57 PM

I usually replace my front tire after the trailing edge of the knob, braking side, is worn beyond square.

When the knob is on the ground where it belongs, that's the leading edge. It's only the trailing edge while it's sticking up in the air not doing any good. :crazy:

• hobbs32

Posted October 12, 2007 - 04:11 PM

In my opinion the best front tire is the Bridgestone 401A. It hooks up very goot and has a soft side wall, which helps soak up bumps. Dunlops are good if you run them in the right condition. But how often is that. Maxxis tires have a very stiff side wall and knobbies. I feel that Maxxis tires don't work very well, although they do last really good. The best Maxxis is the SI, but I feel it still has a very stiff feel to it. The Michelin MS3 works good in soft dirt, and I think that is the best Michelin, the MH3 works alright to. The S-12 has a stiff feel to it, but it works pretty good in mud. The Pirelli MT32 works good aswell in good to soft dirt. I have tried lots of tires and have found that the 401A is best. But everyone has a different preference, and bike set up.

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted October 12, 2007 - 05:02 PM

Gray,
What I was trying to explain as the tire rolls forward (clockwise motion). The first edge of the knob making contact with dirt is the leading edge. The edge of this same knob last making contact with the dirt is the trailing edge. This is the one that wears while breaking.

• Dan_187

Posted October 12, 2007 - 05:21 PM

I just looked at them more closely, I can't tell the difference in wear between the braking and other side of the tire. But the overall height of the knobs is worn down slightly. So if I can't tell that difference are they still good. So, I am considering the 756, and 401a I haven't had good experience with Maxxis tires either so I don't want to run those. I dont want the 952 because its a "budget" tire. What about the "new" Dunlop 745?

• IDAHOBALLER

Posted October 12, 2007 - 06:45 PM

I am very happy with the stock 742FA that they put on the 08's.

It seems to perform very well in just about any terrain I throw at it from sand dunes to rocky desert.:crazy:

• todds924

Posted October 12, 2007 - 07:46 PM

It seems to perform very well in just about any terrain I throw at it from sand dunes to rocky desert.:crazy:

I swear by the 756 but they just wear out way to quick. I am liking the 742 fa on my 08 however. We'll see how it wears. Anything has to wear better than a 756. The one time I tried Maxxis was a disaster. They wear like iron but they don't hook up well in my opinion. I have tried the Michelin Starcross and it worked very well and wore good also. I have a new set of the Bridgestones I will be trying next.

• grayracer513

Posted October 12, 2007 - 10:02 PM

Gray,
What I was trying to explain as the tire rolls forward (clockwise motion). The first edge of the knob making contact with dirt is the leading edge. The edge of this same knob last making contact with the dirt is the trailing edge. This is the one that wears while breaking.

You could look at it like that.

I just looked at them more closely, I can't tell the difference in wear between the braking and other side of the tire. But the overall height of the knobs is worn down slightly. So if I can't tell that difference are they still good. So, I am considering the 756, and 401a I haven't had good experience with Maxxis tires either so I don't want to run those. I dont want the 952 because its a "budget" tire. What about the "new" Dunlop 745?

Rounded edges are bad, even if they're evenly rounded. The 756 just wears too fast. The 401a is good. I've also been disappointed in Maxxis fronts. The 745 is also good, a better 401a, IMO. Maybe the 952 is a budget tire, but what if it's also a good tire? Hmm?

I've liked the one I've been using up 'til last weekend at Superstition. The sand was freshly blown over by two days of high wind, and the front just wouldn't connect to it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BBrown626

Posted October 12, 2007 - 10:27 PM

I have an '06 and I currently run 756s on both ends. The knobs on the front have started to round off, they are still fairly big but not square anymore. Is it time to replace it or can I use it for a while longer? I want to get the most hookup up front because of the obvious shortcomming of my bikes turning abilities. I ride at most of the local socal tracks, Perris is about the hardest pack dirt I ride, so with that would you recommend sticking with the 756 up front or is there a better front tire option out there?

The Bridgestone 401 works very well at Perris. OK at Elsinore too, but Elsinore's conditions vary too much throughout the day. The 402 works great on the back at both these tracks too. If you want to save a few bucks the Maxxis IT is a great tire. Get them at Cycle Gear in Temecula and they put them on for free.

Brent

• Dan_187

Posted October 13, 2007 - 12:50 PM

I'm thinking of getting the 401a. I hear lots of good things about it on here. One more thing, will these tire work on softer dirt like cahuilla, comp edge, racetown etc?

• todds924

Posted October 15, 2007 - 10:06 AM

I'm thinking of getting the 401a. I hear lots of good things about it on here. One more thing, will these tire work on softer dirt like cahuilla, comp edge, racetown etc?

Yes, they will work good at all the So cal tracks. I have had a problem with the 402 rear shredding off knobs and chunking though. I have been told the new 404 rear does not have this problem.

• brian389

Posted October 15, 2007 - 01:12 PM

The Pirelli MX MS32 front tire works great on the '06 YZ450F. You can push that sucker very hard, and it just sticks. Tread-life is very good relative to 756 or even 952, and it seams to stick well even when worn. I have no reason to run anything else on the front. Tracks here in Colorado are typically hard-packed, with some mixed sandy loam on occasion.

• hobbs32

Posted October 15, 2007 - 05:26 PM

The 401a works awesome everywhere, the only time you might want a different tire is in really hard packed. Even though it still works pretty good in hard packed. In the rear the 402 seems to tear apart quick, you can get a 402a rear, but only in 120/80-19 and 110/80-19. I know Bridgestone is coming out with the 403 and 404, we'll see how they work.

• Dan_187

Posted October 15, 2007 - 10:07 PM

Now I just have to find where I can get the rare 401a and I'll be happy (at close to 50% discount of course).

• mj2412

Posted October 15, 2007 - 11:54 PM

I'm riding often very hard tracks and my favourite tyre is pirelli scorpion mx hard. Hooks up really well, very durable and cheap in comparison to the bridgestones here in Austria. I tried the pirelli scorpion mx soft (mt32) but i lost the first knobs after a few rides. Dunlop 756, 952 are between the two pirellis. So during the winter i ride the mx soft and during summer the mx hard.

• uncle tail

Posted October 16, 2007 - 09:08 AM

Michelin MS3 is the best hands down. I use it on hard pack, sand, everything. The 04 yz450f likes to puxh a little and it keeps me hooked up......but my buddy swears by Kenda Millvilles belive it or not.......

• Gerry B

Posted October 16, 2007 - 01:38 PM

I recently bought a set of tires for my 450. The tires I bought are made by Shinko. They are real cheap and I must say they work great! The front tire was 35 bucks and the rear was 45. They have lasted and have worn very well. I believe they are a Chinese tire. The front I have looks like it's modeled after the Pirelli. they work great. I would buy them again.

• Whyzee429

Posted October 16, 2007 - 06:44 PM

I have a Michelin MH3 on front and love it. The wear rate also seems to be pretty good. I haven't had a problem with the tire wanting to wash out yet. I ride at mostly intermediate/hard tracks

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.