New grips and safety wire?

10 replies to this topic
  • drtbk4ever

Posted October 12, 2007 - 07:41 AM

Hey Guys,

It's time to change my handgrips. After doing a search I see some of you talking about using Safety Wire.

Is it really necessary to put safety wire on the grips if I glue them on?

• Vegemite_luva

Posted October 12, 2007 - 08:24 AM

Get ODI Lock on grips and you don't have to worry about glue or safety wire. They are open ended which is nice if you run full wrap around hand guards and with the built in throttle tube you don't need to worry about cutting your throttle tube and it falling apart(like my original ones did). Plus you get all this form and function for the same price as just plain grips.

• Haro

Posted October 12, 2007 - 06:54 PM

I second the ODI grips...been using the on my WR since new and will always use now...good in whatever weather, rain, snow, who cares...good grips. Need to get my other bikes switched over. After having grips come loose in a race I started safety wiring them but I have have the safety wire split the grips also while riding...ODI for me...there are other comparables on the market also.

• Mutu

Posted October 12, 2007 - 11:00 PM

That my friend, is up to you.

I use hairspray and lockwire myself. Those grips are not coming off..... :crazy:

• Seabass

Posted October 13, 2007 - 11:17 AM

I tried the Odi's and didn't care for them. I went back to the Spyder grips with safety wire.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kjr247

Posted October 13, 2007 - 01:21 PM

I use el cheapo hairspray. Never has let me down. A freind of mine that races gave me that tip. KJR

• kskyles

Posted October 13, 2007 - 03:18 PM

Hey Guys,

It's time to change my handgrips. After doing a search I see some of you talking about using Safety Wire.

glue has never failed me. good grip glue should work fine without the safety wire.

• dmoney1074

Posted October 13, 2007 - 07:49 PM

glue has never failed me. good grip glue should work fine without the safety wire.

Same here... hairspray doesnt work on the throttle tube side

• eli366

Posted October 13, 2007 - 08:03 PM

3M auto weather strip adhesive and wire has never let me down. You may not "need" wire, but it is cheap insurance.

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 15, 2007 - 08:39 AM

3M auto weather strip adhesive and wire has never let me down. You may not "need" wire, but it is cheap insurance.

The Odi's look cool but I was looking for some very cushy hand grips. I think I saw some wussy "Gel" grips somewhere.

I push pencils all day so I get blisters and my throttle hand gets sore every time I go on a longer ride. I think part of the problem is I have to hang on very tight to prevent the rocket from leaving me behind.

I am concerned that I would feel the safety wire and then it would lead to further hand issues. Any comments.

• Mutu

Posted October 15, 2007 - 12:27 PM

I am concerned that I would feel the safety wire and then it would lead to further hand issues. Any comments.

Nope, dont feel wire at all. When I wrap the wire (twice around), I just make the twist at the bottom of the grip, away from palm of my hand. I then cut the twist off short, and bang it down and sort of tuck it under the wire loop. The wire digs into the grip so it sits flush. You can buy grips with grooves already which makes loc-wiring them simple.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.