When to change wheel bearings?

3 replies to this topic
  • drtbk4ever

Posted October 12, 2007 - 07:31 AM

Hey Guys,

I have an 04 wr450 and don't think the wheel bearings have ever been changed.

Are there any warning signs that the bearings are due for a change?

Or do most people just automatically change them every couple of years?

Since I don't know what to look for I am concerned that I may miss all the signs there is a problem and end up damaging the hub too.

• tmckeown

Posted October 12, 2007 - 08:37 AM

You should test it before every ride. If you find excess freeplay then replace.
Just put bike on a stande and try to move tires compared to rear and front axle.

Timo McKeown

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brooks_Wackerman

Posted October 16, 2007 - 01:25 AM

I just did mine. There was some sideways movement that was pretty noticeable. I'd say that you'll know when they need doin

• chrispy1202

Posted October 20, 2007 - 08:37 AM

Side to side movement when the bike is on a stand is a good indication, and when the wheels are off use your finger to turn the bearing. Any rough feel or fairly hard to turn bearing should be replaced. Bearings are cheaper than buggered hubs.
Cheers

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.