YZ 450 compression hole....

5 replies to this topic
  • RCannon

Posted October 12, 2007 - 04:22 AM

Thanks to everyone hear. I had seen posts about this plug falling out and was familiar with the TT piece that is sold to plug this hole.

Last night my neighbor dropped by. He was concerned with an oil leak on his YZF 450, 2004 model.

Thanks to you guys I was able to walk right up to the right side of the bike and find the leak. He bought the Yamaha part but has the better TT plug on order from a local dealer.

Just wanted to thank everyone for making me look so smart.

Is it just dumb luck when the plug falls out or is it owner related?

• KJ790

Posted October 12, 2007 - 05:13 AM

Many times it occurs when one of the metal clamps around the vent tube (on the right side of the frame) gets crushed and pinches off the tube. The head has nowhere to vent the pressure and the decompression plug will pop out. Newer years used rubber clamps on the vent hose so they go back to shape after being hit. I used to replace the metal clamps with zipties that I left fairly loose so that it wouldn't pinch off if it got hit.

• Racer808

Posted October 12, 2007 - 05:24 AM

Where is this plug you speak of? Can anyone point it out or put a pic up? I would like to just go ahead and buy the plug before mine pops out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 12, 2007 - 06:24 AM

The plug's in the right side front of the head, just above the exhaust port.

More:

http://www.thumperta...419#post1522419

• Racer808

Posted October 12, 2007 - 07:14 AM

The plug's in the right side front of the head, just above the exhaust port.

More:

http://www.thumperta...419#post1522419

I read your link, you state except 06 & newer, so my 08 does not need this, correct?

• grayracer513

Posted October 12, 2007 - 09:06 AM

That is correct. The heads no longer have that bore in them, so there's no plug.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.