Before my ride last Sunday

Posted Image

During my ride,

Posted Image[
Posted Image
THE AFTERMARTH
Posted Image
AND THE RE-BIRTH

Just thought i would share my luck with everyone as i (suprisingly): got out of this with only a couple of scratches and some minor brusing.:confused:

The 2nd picture show's where my missfortune occured. (you can see the upramp that i am approching)The jump it-self is straight forward double about 90fT long,and is done in 4th gear as the upramp is rather small.It has a nice long down-ramp to make it safe. Before this jump there is a smaller step-down,and i click my bike into 4th while in the air in antisipation for the next jump. Anyhow all was going well untill i got to the upramp of the 90fter,when just before take-off my bike suddenly jumps out of gear.:confused:
Let me say, it seamed like everything went into slo-motion from there on, as i clung to my bike as it nosed dived into a huge endo.
I held on untill i had made the downramp , i let go of the bike just before it was about to hit the ground and i slammed into the ground with enough force to break my helmet and have me seeing stars. From the whitnesess that saw it all unfold the bike and my self tumbled end for end untill we both became stationary.(about 100mtrs apart)

Let just say that i now have a greater apprectiation for the protective gear i wear. I still cant belive how hard my head hit the ground. It was like being hit by Mike Tyson.
Any how as the last pic shows i have fixed my bike and will be ready for this sunday.

Cheers RC:thumbsup:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2158 (Small).JPG
  • IMG_2165 (Small).JPG
  • IMG_2164 (Small).JPG
  • IMG_2192 (Small).JPG

• yz250o2

Posted October 11, 2007 - 10:22 PM

OMG YOU TOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I was also 3 hours at the track with my new 2008, breaking it in when a idiot comes and acts like were on train tracks. I fell and then he landed his bike straight into my subframe.....snap. The subframe is cheezed. My pipe is ok tho. I just need a new AIRBOX and SUBFRAME. If you guys can help me find those things that would be great.

• Yamahafan

Posted October 12, 2007 - 05:31 AM

I guess I have a different meaning of "breaking it in". You were very fortunate to walk away from that one. It looks like the damage list was: Protaper handlebars, subframe, rear wheel, WB carbon exhaust, plastics. Did I miss anything?

What do you think causes the bike to come out of gear between 3rd and 4th?

• adamdf

Posted October 12, 2007 - 06:35 AM

Yeah i'm real worried and curious as to why your bike popped into neutral from 4th gear!! Glad to see your okay now, but you should really try to find the cause for that happening so it won't happen again, that is way too dangerous and i wouldn't want to have that on the back of my mind everytime i went to the track. Can someone chime in here and explain how this could have happened?

• swaldrop

Posted October 12, 2007 - 07:33 AM

Someone else just recently posted about hitting a false neutral as well. I myself have done it between 2nd and 3rd a few times. And now to hear this has me a little freaked out.

I haven't really noticed it before on any of my other bikes. Any wisdom out there?

• GENE426

Posted October 12, 2007 - 07:37 AM

ouch for the bike

• matts06yzf

Posted October 12, 2007 - 07:51 AM

My 06 has done it several times it sucksssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. RMZ's are really famous for this:bonk: I hope my 08 doesnt like to do this BS

• Racer808

Posted October 12, 2007 - 08:04 AM

I was having popping out of gear and false neutrals on my 08 yz during break in, but I am on about 8 or 9 rides and my second oil change and it seems to have went away. Hey do any of you guys know whats a better oil filter for the yz? Is the K&N, twin air or stock better then one or the other? I want to buy in bulk so I can save a little and have a bunch on hand, I change my oil every 3 rides.

• matts06yzf

Posted October 12, 2007 - 08:23 AM

I was having popping out of gear and false neutrals on my 08 yz during break in, but I am on about 8 or 9 rides and my second oil change and it seems to have went away. Hey do any of you guys know whats a better oil filter for the yz? Is the K&N, twin air or stock better then one or the other? I want to buy in bulk so I can save a little and have a bunch on hand, I change my oil every 3 rides.

By a Scotts Stainless and you can reuse it for years:applause: . I change mine every other ride and it will pay for itself real quick. I got mine yesterday for my 08 its was same filter that fit 06-07:thumbsup:

• Racer808

Posted October 12, 2007 - 08:31 AM

How do you clean that scotts and how long does it last? I was told to stay away from those types of filters cause if miss some flakes they will filter thru to the ther side of the engine and cause damage, any truth to that?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matts06yzf

Posted October 12, 2007 - 08:34 AM

How do you clean that scotts and how long does it last? I was told to stay away from those types of filters cause if miss some flakes they will filter thru to the ther side of the engine and cause damage, any truth to that?

Here comes grayracer, he can explain this better than me but what you heard is wrong. Scotts acyually filters better than a conventional paper filter. I dont know the numbers but gray does. I use Brake cleaner to clean mine and they will last for years. I have one in my 06 and its great. I would also run a Magnetic drain plug its cheap insurance.:confused:

• Racer808

Posted October 12, 2007 - 09:00 AM

Here comes grayracer, he can explain this better than me but what you heard is wrong. Scotts acyually filters better than a conventional paper filter. I dont know the numbers but gray does. I use Brake cleaner to clean mine and they will last for years. I have one in my 06 and its great. I would also run a Magnetic drain plug its cheap insurance.:confused:

Where you get magnetic drain plugs? Do you run them on both sides or just on the engine side? Maybe i am not saying the correctly, you know how you have two drain bolts on the (speaking of the 08 yz now) one on the clutch side and one on the break side? I just ordered a red filler cap and red timing cover, should look slick when I am done!!

• grayracer513

Posted October 12, 2007 - 09:17 AM

They last indefinitely. I have one that's 4 years old. You may have to replace the seal on it now and then, but you can get them from Scotts.

You can clean them by swishing them in solvent or mineral spirits, spay them with carb cleaner, use compressed air, or even soapy water or Simple Green. Or any combination. I wash the filter in solvent, then spray with carb cleaner from the inside, then blow it clean with compressed air. Takes less than 5 minutes.

As to their efficacy:

http://www.thumperta...297#post4676297

• adamdf

Posted October 12, 2007 - 09:36 AM

Grayracer,
Any comments with regards to these faulse neutrals? As an mx only rider, i find this quite freaky, i wouldn't want to be approaching a triple jump and find myself in neutral!

• todds924

Posted October 12, 2007 - 09:46 AM

Yes there is truth to that. I've seen a few motors with toasted Crankshafts that were running those screen type filters. In my opinion they are a bad deal even if they were free. Use Stock OEM filters. They pay those engineers in the little white lab coats a bunch of money to design the filter in your bike. Thats my opinion.

• matts06yzf

Posted October 12, 2007 - 09:56 AM

Yes there is truth to that. I've seen a few motors with toasted Crankshafts that were running those screen type filters. In my opinion they are a bad deal even if they were free. Use Stock OEM filters. They pay those engineers in the little white lab coats a bunch of money to design the filter in your bike. Thats my opinion.

There is proof that the scotts filters better than paper. I have seen several bikes toasted and had paper actually I have 2 in my garage:bonk: . I have never had a problem with scotts. But each his own

• grayracer513

Posted October 12, 2007 - 10:22 AM

...I've seen a few motors with toasted Crankshafts that were running those screen type filters. In my opinion they are a bad deal even if they were free. Use Stock OEM filters. They pay those engineers in the little white lab coats a bunch of money to design the filter in your bike. Thats my opinion.

I've seen toasted cranks come out of engines that were using paper filters, too, even from engines running two filters in tandem. Until you can categorically state from forensic evidence what the exact cause of the failure was, you can't even legitimately suspect the filter.

But be that as it may, it should also be mentioned that there is an enormous difference between a Scotts and the OEM brass mesh filters. These latter filters have a much coarser mesh, and will filter to only 75-85 microns, less than half as fine as a Scotts. People will sometimes use them as a low cost substitute for a Scotts without realizing this, and invite problems in so doing. But, of course, those filters were put in place by the same all-knowing engineers that built the bike, no?

• grayracer513

Posted October 12, 2007 - 10:37 AM

Grayracer,
Any comments with regards to these faulse neutrals?

False neutrals can be simply the result of sloppy shifting by the rider, just as a trans dropping out of gear can be the result of a rider tripping the shift lever in error.

But if the bike is at fault, it would be for the following reasons:

False neutrals (missed gears, incomplete shifts):
> Roughness in the shift cam grooves or shift fork rail bores
> Index lever ("stopper lever") spring too strong, roller binding, or shift index star rough
> Index lever roller or spring broken

Falls out of gear under no load or light load conditions
> Index lever roller or spring broken

Discussions:
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=556703

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=493718

• adamdf

Posted October 12, 2007 - 10:55 AM

False neutrals can be simply the result of sloppy shifting by the rider, just as a trans dropping out of gear can be the result of a rider tripping the shift lever in error.

In all my years as a mx rider, i have NEVER EVER experienced a bike go into neutral from 4th gear, that is just scary. I have gone into neutral by mistake from 1st to 2nd or while in 2nd my boot hit the lever downwards and got the bike into neutral but never from 4th. I just can't help but think something is wrong there.

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted October 12, 2007 - 11:40 AM

i did that on a fmx 12 foot ramp from 3rd to 4th gear and it went into nutral, luckily it was steep and i just whipped enough to even my bike out then slamed it down to 3rd again. this is not safe their shouldent be a neutral after everygear......

This is something yamaha needs to fix but since i have no clue about trannys thats all i can say?.

ps ive wiped out because of a 4th to 5th gear false nutral, i couldent get up after that couldent feel a thing a week later from laying in my bed. i could get out of bed with no trouble. i bet if i had a leatte i wouldent have been that messed.. but still

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.