98 XR650L 2nd gear gone!

12 replies to this topic
  • mcattk

Posted October 11, 2007 - 09:23 PM

My older bro just got a 98 given to him. It runs, but 2nd gear is completely gone? Has anyone ever had this problem? :confused: Thanks ~McAttk

• cleonard

Posted October 11, 2007 - 09:57 PM

Don't ride it anymore. Running it risks catastrophic failure. Usually this means the gear(s) are shot and need to be replaced. You have to split the cases to work on the transmission.

• scalejockey

Posted October 12, 2007 - 04:41 AM

I had an 85 that did this,...nomal fix,2 gears and a shift fork.. but look at the other gears real close.All of mine were in bad shape(rounded engagement cogs),didn't replace because it would of been $900. for all of them.So I machined them as best I could and sold it the next week.

• martinfan30

Posted October 12, 2007 - 07:18 AM

My older bro just got a 98 given to him. It runs, but 2nd gear is completely gone? Has anyone ever had this problem? :confused: Thanks ~McAttk

thx for your service.

make sure to check all gears for any pitting or wear when apart.

• truck6driver

Posted October 12, 2007 - 05:08 PM

Broken shift fork or has moved on the shaft.

RH

• mcattk

Posted November 15, 2007 - 07:12 AM

Thanks for the replys, he bought a basket case with a good lower end.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted November 15, 2007 - 11:20 AM

on occasion my 05 650L does not want to shift into 3rd..after I roll off the gas and clutch it a couple of times it shifts, no clunk grind etc, just a "hitch up in the get along" feelin' maybe toe induced ? but I don't think so, I been a shiftin for years....I attribute it to (without technical explanation) the torque that is made by the motor stressin the gearbox. Maybe 1000% wrong, but MHO. Happens less now than when new - as in during break in.

• martinfan30

Posted November 15, 2007 - 12:24 PM

on occasion my 05 650L does not want to shift into 3rd..after I roll off the gas and clutch it a couple of times it shifts, no clunk grind etc, just a "hitch up in the get along" feelin' maybe toe induced ? but I don't think so, I been a shiftin for years....I attribute it to (without technical explanation) the torque that is made by the motor stressin the gearbox. Maybe 1000% wrong, but MHO. Happens less now than when new - as in during break in.

i think alot of times an individual bike may have its own different "characteristics". something it does just a little different than the rest.

• cleonard

Posted November 15, 2007 - 12:26 PM

It is worth trying different kinds of oil. Sometimes it can make a big differnece in transmission action.

• martinfan30

Posted November 15, 2007 - 12:29 PM

ya, i may try your Rotella next time to see if it helps that 1-2 clunk.

• Frank ZX

Posted November 15, 2007 - 04:14 PM

ya, i may try your Rotella next time to see if it helps that 1-2 clunk.

It does.I was running Castrol 10W40 motorcycle and the 1-2 shift was very rough.I have been using Rottla 15W40 the past 4 or 5 oil changes and it has made the 1-2 shift smooth.

• FoolishMortal

Posted November 15, 2007 - 09:27 PM

I had an 85 that did this,...nomal fix,2 gears and a shift fork.. but look at the other gears real close.All of mine were in bad shape(rounded engagement cogs),didn't replace because it would of been $900. for all of them.So I machined them as best I could and sold it the next week.

...with a full disclosure to the buyer...right? :thumbsup:

It could have been any one of us.

OP, if your brother does have to split the cases and have the transmission re-worked...well, he's got a great bike for a grand. :ride:

• martinfan30

Posted November 16, 2007 - 11:33 AM

It does.I was running Castrol 10W40 motorcycle and the 1-2 shift was very rough.I have been using Rottla 15W40 the past 4 or 5 oil changes and it has made the 1-2 shift smooth.

cool, thanks for the confirmation. im sold!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.