2007 Mods

22 replies to this topic
  • slnutt

Posted October 11, 2007 - 05:10 PM

In the interest of me not having to search for long periods of time, make mistakes and cut down on riding time, can someone point me specifically to the mods needed for the 2007 WR450.

I have a bone stock one and want to do the grey wire / muffler / jetting / AIS removal tricks and any other great changes.

Thanks
Racin' Randy

• Mutu

Posted October 11, 2007 - 05:45 PM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=440372
It's all in here.

Best "free" mod:
http://www.thumperta...d Stock Muffler

www.thumperfaq.com has a lot of great info too. What applies to a wr250f goes for a wr450f.

• clark4131

Posted October 11, 2007 - 10:43 PM

In the interest of me not having to search for long periods of time, make mistakes and cut down on riding time, can someone point me specifically to the mods needed for the 2007 WR450.

Are you kidding? Why don't you just have someone ride your bike for you and then tell you how great it was? That would require the least amount of effort of anything.

The mods you speak of are easily found in the stickies and via the search engine. They are also easily done by anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of tools and basic mechanical skills. My response may have upset you, but when you come out and basically state for the record that you just don't want to put forth the effort and would rather be spoon-fed, you can't be too surprised. I know I speak for a great many of the folks here when I say we're more than happy to lend a hand should you run into trouble, but at least give it the old college try first. Peace...SC

• slnutt

Posted October 12, 2007 - 03:28 AM

Boy, I didn't mean to upset you guys that have spent your time working on your own bike. I mean did you personally come up with all the answers and procedures for modding the bikes? I work on bikes every single day............it's part of my job and I wasn't trying to get out of the work, but what I was trying to do was weed out the inaccuracies.

I have read the ENTIRE thread (24 pages) on mods to the WR450 and if you would look through there, you will see there are contraditions galore......blue wire vs grey wire, modding the stock muffler vs buying aftermarket, making your own AIS cover vs buying a kit from the dealer......is it now available? Quite a few of the posts are old and the last thing I want to do is to take a brand new bike and screw it up.

Forgive me for wanting someone to summarize. I know you are the moderator and the last thing I want to do is to get bumped, but as mentioned, I work on bikes every day and I was wanting to get riding as soon as possible without experimentation.

• Malevolent

Posted October 12, 2007 - 04:25 AM

Boy, I didn't mean to upset you guys that have spent your time working on your own bike. I mean did you personally come up with all the answers and procedures for modding the bikes? I work on bikes every single day............it's part of my job and I wasn't trying to get out of the work, but what I was trying to do was weed out the inaccuracies.

I have read the ENTIRE thread (24 pages) on mods to the WR450 and if you would look through there, you will see there are contraditions galore......blue wire vs grey wire, modding the stock muffler vs buying aftermarket, making your own AIS cover vs buying a kit from the dealer......is it now available? Quite a few of the posts are old and the last thing I want to do is to take a brand new bike and screw it up.

Forgive me for wanting someone to summarize. I know you are the moderator and the last thing I want to do is to get bumped, but as mentioned, I work on bikes every day and I was wanting to get riding as soon as possible without experimentation.

Damn, I was going to ask the same question as you for the same reasons. Sometimes its confusing sifting through forums to find the correct information because of the contradictions.

If anyone is willing to answer this briefly by giving me the simple list of mods, I will gladly search how to do them myself. I am going to buy a '07-08 WR next month. I like the bike but I want it to have the same power performance as the YZ. Could someone just list out the mods needed to do this please? I know the bike is heavier and not as agile as a YZ but that doesn't mean it can't have the same snot as one. Thanks to anyone for pointing me in the right direction, I know how annoying forum newbies(me) can be .

This is what I have planned so far, please let me know if I am missing something or I got anything incorrect:

graywire unpluged
ais removal kit
yzcam
opened air box
168 main,48 pilot
DrD or FMF Full exhaust
zipty fuel screw

• clark4131

Posted October 12, 2007 - 08:39 AM

Perhaps I was a little harsh, but I got PM's about your post with members basically saying WTH. From the way you wrote it, it came off like you just didn't feel like doing a little legwork to figure some things out. The stickies, primarily the FAQ, detail what the correct free mods are, including those for the newest generation. The only difference is the location of the grey wire, now under the left side panel. Everything else remains the same. The Blue Wire is a very optional mod that may or may not ease starting, but definitely disables the neutral over-rev protection. It has no real performance value. ..SC

• Humunn

Posted October 12, 2007 - 11:18 AM

slnutt,

Go ahead and PM me if you want. I have an 07 and I will tell you exactly what I did and what issues I ran into (or didn't). You are right, there is an overload of info out there that is at best confusing. And I promise I won't bite your head off!

Greg

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 12, 2007 - 11:54 AM

slnutt,

Go ahead and PM me if you want. I have an 07 and I will tell you exactly what I did and what issues I ran into (or didn't). You are right, there is an overload of info out there that is at best confusing. And I promise I won't bite your head off!

Greg

This is a cool response :crazy: I don't mean to hi-jack the thread but I too don't understand the impatience of some of you guys when a simple question is asked and some of you are more than willing to jump back and say "DO A SEARCH!" or PM the moderator..... WTH!!! (PM the moderator, that one cracks me up:lol: :applause: :bonk:)

Ride more, help more, bitch less :D

• RickSanson

Posted October 12, 2007 - 12:10 PM

I do search extensively and have not found a comprehensive list for the 07.

Here's a few good ones I couldn't find by searching...

What Scotts steering stabilizer mounting is required for a stock 07WR450F?

Is there string cheese in the 07 shock linkage? (Not in mine, swingarm= yes)

But I do get your point clark4131. I search a lot and I would like to see an 07 only list of mods, updates, etc. I asked the guy at ThumperFaq if he would update the site and I would contribute but no response.

So yeah, RTFM or STFS - agreed!

As a mod of this forum, why not create an 07WR only sticky? I have a boatload of stuff ready to post from some PM's between me and a guy from Costa Rica.

• K_Yandell

Posted October 12, 2007 - 02:17 PM

Not to add fuel to the fire but how is asking unresearched questions in a forum any different than cutting in line at the grocery store?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Humunn

Posted October 12, 2007 - 03:03 PM

Not to add fuel to the fire but how is asking unresearched questions in a forum any different than cutting in line at the grocery store?

You know the bottom line is how you respond to others. One of those life lessons we all need to learn. Maybe a guy doesn't know that he is even suppose to search. Ever thought of that? You can say it nice. I've seen this sort of militant response behavior increase over the last year or longer, including, from the moderator of all people, which is one of the main reasons I don't frequent TT as much as I used to. And I bet there are others who feel the same. Do you remember what it was like when you were new to the forum? It can be intimidating! Think about that next time BEFORE you hit the submit button and skewer someone.

Greg

• chevytrkn1

Posted October 12, 2007 - 04:08 PM

On mine the ais removal and jd jetting kit, muffler mod throttle stop made a huge difference. added slip on did not seem to change much

• Michigan DS

Posted October 12, 2007 - 06:18 PM

Randy,

From my own trial and error experiences with my 07 WR450.........

Grey wire (not blue)- clip it/disconnect it- it is located under the left number plate.

Muffler- remove the insert by drilling out the rivets. I first removed the insert and rode for a while, then bought an FMF T1. The insert removal made a big difference and the FMF provided a little more hp (not a ton).

Air box- remove the seat and remove phillips screws and "binocular" part of airbox.

Jetting/Throttle Stop/Fuel Screw/ AC Pump 0-ring mod- Do all at the same time. I bought the JD jetting kit which comes with a selection of main jets, needle jets, 0-rings and instructions. With the JD kit, I paid an additional twenty bucks for the adjustable fuel screw. You need to buy a YZ throttle stop or cut down the stock WR ts. (I bought the YZ). Once you have all these parts, I found it easiest to remove the rear shock, loosen the carburetor clamps and rotate the carb to access the main jet, needle jet, fuel screw and throttle stop. To complete the carb mods took me less than an hour.

AIS removal- I was sent the wrong GYTR removal kit, then they said that they didn't have the correct one in stock, so I bought the Thumper Talk AIS removal kit and was very happy with the finished product. The removal is very easy and straight forward.

You might want to go to justgastanks.com and get the 3.1 Gal tank. You can use the stock WR petcock and install it backwards or buy an older WR petcock.

FYI- during my searches, it helped to read the threads that were dated after around October of 2006. Prior to this date, most of the threads related to older 2006 and older WRs.

Hope this helps,

Doug

I almost fogot to say......... with the mods, this bike is incredible. Great all around power. I like it better than any of the two strokes I used to ride (back in the 80's).

• clark4131

Posted October 12, 2007 - 06:33 PM

You know the bottom line is how you respond to others. One of those life lessons we all need to learn. Maybe a guy doesn't know that he is even suppose to search. Ever thought of that?

As a matter of fact, I have. However, considering the average age of the TT member, the likelihood of someone being completely unfamiliar with the workings of a message board is quite slim. Furthermore, the stickies I've put at the top of the forum are there to help new members with getting acclimated...Newbie Survival Guide is kind of a biggie.

You can say it nice. I've seen this sort of militant response behavior increase over the last year or longer, including, from the moderator of all people, which is one of the main reasons I don't frequent TT as much as I used to. And I bet there are others who feel the same.

I welcome any criticisms anyone may have regarding the job I'm doing. Just keep them civil and in PM form. Most of the ones I've received are thanks for monitoring things the way I have been and for keeping this sort of situation from becoming an epidemic. Even with my efforts, searching is becoming a quagmire due to infinite amounts of redundant inquiries. Without any policing, the system will break down and you'll spend days instead of minutes trying to find pertinent information.

Do you remember what it was like when you were new to the forum? It can be intimidating! Think about that next time BEFORE you hit the submit button and skewer someone.

Yes, I remember that too. But, I didn't just wade in without doing my research first. To this day, I still give the search engine a workout. Yesterday in fact, I removed my neutral switch and replaced it with a site glass. I had some questions regarding parts removal and wiring, but found the answer I was looking for in the span of about 5 minutes. I walk the walk when it comes to that.

So here it is in a nutshell. I don't endeavour to create a dictatorial atmosphere, but in the interest of the WR4XX forum as a whole, I have to promote order and efficiency so things don't get out of hand. If you've ever perused KTMTalk, then I'm sure you are aware of how easy-going things are over here. If your nose got bent out of shape, then I apologize, but sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette. If you wish to discuss this further, please keep it in the PM realm...Gracias...SC

• Mutu

Posted October 12, 2007 - 11:08 PM

As a mod of this forum, why not create an 07WR only sticky?

Same crap since '03.....

• Mutu

Posted October 12, 2007 - 11:13 PM

And you are doing a fine job Steve.... :crazy:

• clark4131

Posted October 13, 2007 - 07:24 AM

...I search a lot and I would like to see an 07 only list of mods, updates, etc. I asked the guy at ThumperFaq if he would update the site and I would contribute but no response...As a mod of this forum, why not create an 07WR only sticky? I have a boatload of stuff ready to post from some PM's between me and a guy from Costa Rica.

The 2007-specific thread is already contained in the Performance Index sticky. If you have some good stuff to add, please do. It's a bit of a long thread (20+ pages), but you can also search an individual thread to pull out what is needed...SC

• K_Yandell

Posted October 14, 2007 - 07:41 AM

You know the bottom line is how you respond to others. One of those life lessons we all need to learn...
Greg

You simply misinterpreted the tone of my response. I thank you for your willingness to teach me proper social behavior however. I have a 2007 WR450 and found all of the mods right here on the site using the stickies. I apologize for offending you. I was only trying to add a little color to the topic.

• Malevolent

Posted October 14, 2007 - 09:51 AM

Randy,

From my own trial and error experiences with my 07 WR450.........

Grey wire (not blue)- clip it/disconnect it- it is located under the left number plate.

Muffler- remove the insert by drilling out the rivets. I first removed the insert and rode for a while, then bought an FMF T1. The insert removal made a big difference and the FMF provided a little more hp (not a ton).

Air box- remove the seat and remove phillips screws and "binocular" part of airbox.

Jetting/Throttle Stop/Fuel Screw/ AC Pump 0-ring mod- Do all at the same time. I bought the JD jetting kit which comes with a selection of main jets, needle jets, 0-rings and instructions. With the JD kit, I paid an additional twenty bucks for the adjustable fuel screw. You need to buy a YZ throttle stop or cut down the stock WR ts. (I bought the YZ). Once you have all these parts, I found it easiest to remove the rear shock, loosen the carburetor clamps and rotate the carb to access the main jet, needle jet, fuel screw and throttle stop. To complete the carb mods took me less than an hour.

AIS removal- I was sent the wrong GYTR removal kit, then they said that they didn't have the correct one in stock, so I bought the Thumper Talk AIS removal kit and was very happy with the finished product. The removal is very easy and straight forward.

You might want to go to justgastanks.com and get the 3.1 Gal tank. You can use the stock WR petcock and install it backwards or buy an older WR petcock.

FYI- during my searches, it helped to read the threads that were dated after around October of 2006. Prior to this date, most of the threads related to older 2006 and older WRs.

Hope this helps,

Doug

I almost fogot to say......... with the mods, this bike is incredible. Great all around power. I like it better than any of the two strokes I used to ride (back in the 80's).

Great post, clear, simple and to the point. Much appreciated! :crazy: :D

• slnutt

Posted October 14, 2007 - 04:58 PM

Guys,
Thanks for the help. I didn't mean to stir things up in the Forum. And as a matter of fact, I am a bit of a neophyte when it comes to message boards. In fact, I do my best to back away from the computer as much as possible and get back outside and on a bike. I would emplore the moderator and posters of this website to give the benefit of the doubt when Newbies arrive on their site.

The internet, chat boards and e-mail are a wonderful thing when used in the right situations. Writing and being able to show the proper inflection, tone and meaning takes a great skill and with the advent of chat boards, IM and e-mail, it makes everyone a 'user' and forces communication by typing. Many times, people are in a hurry or don't possess the necessary skills to adequately express themselves.

At my company, I have all but taken away the IM ability for people to ask important questions of each other. It just doesn't make sense to type instead of talk.

Not to ramble, berate or conclude, but thanks to those that posted here with their real world experience on their '07 WR450's. I have the AIS Removal kit on order and will work over the bike when I return from the Barber Vintage Festival this next weekend. Not bragging..............I own over 30 bikes and one classic car, am over 50 years old and it is a job just taking care of them, keeping the batteries charged and ready to ride when the opportunity comes up.

Thanks everyone..........now I will go back to the Forum page, search for Batteries and see if anyone has posted about how well the battery holds up on the WR450's. As mentioned, I bought mine brand new just last Monday. As of yesterday, the battery would not turn over the electric starter. A bit dissapoining I might add.

Thanks
R....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.